[Complete] - Captain Antifer by Jules Verne - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

[SOLO] - Captain Antifer by Jules Verne(1828 - 1905).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/captain-antifer-by-jules-verne/

“No good deed goes Unpunished”, as the saying goes.
A wealthy Egyptian leaves millions of buried treasure on an island and sends the location to the Captain that saved him while fleeing certain death from Napoleon Bonaparte. However the Eqypstion does not leave the entire location: only the Latitude. The Longitude will be made known to him in time.
Decades pass before a shifty notary from Alexandria arrives with the necessary Longitude, and now the lust for greed has passed from Captain to Son.
Thus begins the tale of this treasure hunt, taking use from St. Malo, France to the shores of Arabian Coast and beyond. Follow this tale of strangers in strange lands, greedy third parties attempting to get the treasure for themselves, and the patience of the travels being wracked and tested from all ends on the traveling party.

Summary by Joseph DeNoia
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://books.google.com/books?id=AgcXAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Jules Verne) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Antifer
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 32
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1894
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Jules Verne, treasure, captain, julia island, treasure hunt, clues

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of [SOLO] - Captain Antifer by Jules Verne. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "[SOLO] - Captain Antifer by Jules Verne. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of [SOLO] - Captain Antifer by Jules Verne. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of [SOLO] - Captain Antifer by Jules Verne. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename [solo]captainantifer_##_verne_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. [solo]captainantifer_01_verne_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnety
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The problem with this project is your text. We don't generally allow Google, as they are not reliably PD; even a single word change from the original could take a work out of the Public Domain. Plus, in many places, Google is blocked. Even I, located in the US, was unable to open the link.
The original work was published in 1894, so if you can locate a verifiable version, it should be fine. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing it on any of our usual source sites.
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

You know something: that link was a Download, that I linked to.

Does this one work better: https://books.google.com/books?id=AgcXAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

It appears to be a direct scan of the book.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

JoeDeNoia wrote: October 14th, 2019, 10:33 am You know something: that link was a Download, that I linked to.

Does this one work better: https://books.google.com/books?id=AgcXAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

It appears to be a direct scan of the book.
:thumbs:

I will set it up for you.
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

Excellent.

Semi-related question: these is a novelization of a story that came out in the pulps. I have someone scanning those pages.

Q1) where is the best place to put them, you could recommend. So a reader can get them.

Q2) 95 years is the Public Domain timeframe (I believe). So that would be 1924. Is it a to-the-day or if it's a periodical, that comes out from Aug through Dec, is it the month we're currently in?
How specifically does that work?

Plus, I think o the publishing, the month of the issue may be pushed out from the actual month, so I'd have to check the inside. But in general, how does this work?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set.
Do you need to add a tilde for a DPL?

Just let me know if you need anything else.
Lynne
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

Yes, i will require a DPL
I wasn't aware of a Tilda-thing
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

JoeDeNoia wrote: October 14th, 2019, 10:38 am Excellent.

Semi-related question: these is a novelization of a story that came out in the pulps. I have someone scanning those pages.

Q1) where is the best place to put them, you could recommend. So a reader can get them.

Q2) 95 years is the Public Domain timeframe (I believe). So that would be 1924. Is it a to-the-day or if it's a periodical, that comes out from Aug through Dec, is it the month we're currently in?
How specifically does that work?

Plus, I think o the publishing, the month of the issue may be pushed out from the actual month, so I'd have to check the inside. But in general, how does this work?
It's not as simple as you think. Copyright law is a quagmire, and I'm not an expert.
That said, PD doesn't (generally) change for those of us in the US. It did change at the beginning of the year, to 1923; but I'm not sure when it's set to change again. When it does, it's a blanket January 1. Things are different in other countries, depending on their laws, generally to do with when the author died (or the translator, if applicable and later)

If your periodical meets with the PD standard, we would need to see the scanned copyright page to add to the project page (not generally visible, but hidden in the deep recesses of LV). If you were hoping to make it a collaborative effort, I think you would need to create Google Docs for each section, entering the link in the notes column of the MW -- I'd need to check as I've never used a scanned text myself :hmm: If you were planning a solo project, I don't think you need to worry unless your DPL asks to see it (some will, some won't).
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

JoeDeNoia wrote: October 14th, 2019, 10:45 am Yes, i will require a DPL
I wasn't aware of a Tilda-thing
I've added it. It just acts as an ad to possible DPLs.
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

Hrmm... I've added the Chapter names, but it wouldn't allow me to add in the Reader Name
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

None of my business really, but I`m confused about the issue of the text. It is available here: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.hn1iv5&view=1up&seq=1

No scans and whatnot needed.

Have I missed something?
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

Kevin, that is the same scan.

The url I previously posted was different. I had downloaded it, and that was the url of my download.

Lynnet updated it to the existing link, subsequently. Which is the same as your scan.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

JoeDeNoia wrote: October 14th, 2019, 12:13 pm Kevin, that is the same scan.

The url I previously posted was different. I had downloaded it, and that was the url of my download.

Lynnet updated it to the existing link, subsequently. Which is the same as your scan.
You mentioned having someone scan something for you. Are you asking about a different project? (That must be why I was/am confused.)
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

Different project, coming up
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

JoeDeNoia wrote: October 14th, 2019, 12:19 pm Different project, coming up
I see.