[COMPLETE][SOLO] The Real Oscar Wilde by Robert Sherard - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: October 1st, 2019, 9:10 amIt's hard for me to judge whether that film is good because I am hopelessly biased, but I saw it 4x in the cinema so I must have liked it. I think the Fry film is better but it ends when he comes out of prison, which is where the Everett one starts, so it's worth watching just to get the rest of the story.
I saw the Stephen Fry movie years ago, and liked it very much. Maybe I give this one a go too one day.

Chapter 8 again perfectly PL ok. :thumbs: Loved the incident where he helped his friend to escape from the police. :lol:

Thanks, and have a nice weekend

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

why did you link me to the text ? :hmm: the link is already in the first post.

And wow you were prolific over the weekend :shock: I started with the first two chapters now and Chapter 9 is already PL ok. Interesting section about life in the prison yard.

For Chapter 10 I have a few notes, but I think they are all optional and I let you decide. I only mention them because I know you want to decide for yourself how accurate you want to be:

> at 4:20: (p. 151) “the crushing burden of infamy and fate” – you say “hate” and I somewhat agree that this fits better, so it may only be a typo in the text

> at 16:37: (p. 161) “with the second son of an eighth marquess” – you say “English” but the numbers here probably want to enhance the triviality of the matter :lol:

> at 18:36: (p. 163) “Sir Edward Sullivan, Bart.” – just in case you didn’t know, this is the abbreviation of “Baronet”, if you want to read it out in full to make it more comprehensible to a listener :)

Will try to PL the rest this afternoon !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: October 13th, 2019, 4:10 pm11-13 ready for PL.
immersed myself into the next three chapters and they're all excellently narrated :9: It's so despicable that former friends drop Oscar so fast after his fall from disgrace :evil: No civil courage at all.

Chapters 11 and 12 already PL ok.

Only one small correction for Chapter 13:

> at 17:21: (p. 209) repetition of “Verlaine” - can be cut out once

thanks

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Sonia

I didn't know about bart/baronet, so thanks for that. I'll make the changes later.

I was shocked to see Burne Jones dropped him. I hadn't heard that one before. Such a shame, because his Beguiling of Merlin is one of my favourite paintings: it hangs in a gallery near where I'm from. But Sherard was wrong to let Prof. Mahaffy off the hook: he didn't really stick by Wilde at all, and was quite rude about him. I should keep a list of these bad eggs!
Rob Marland reader section | website
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Rob, both sections are now PL ok. Excellent corrections !

have a nice weekend

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah, excellent, another chapter in the box. Some interesting thoughts in there regarding controversial topics. And the seance outre-tombe was a bit :shock:

I have a few notes:

> at 2:51: (p. 214) repeat "was" can be cut once

> at 9:38: (p. 218) you say here "quote" but not "unquote" for "talking himself". I personally leave out all quotation marks and rather change my voice a bit to convey quotes. I notice sometimes you leave them out altogether, which I find is the more fluent solution as it doesn't break the flow of the text so much

> at 14:25-14:33: (p. 221) repeat "by the same wish to épater les bourgeois" – one version can be cut

thanks

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 1:41 am ah, excellent, another chapter in the box. Some interesting thoughts in there regarding controversial topics. And the seance outre-tombe was a bit :shock:

I have a few notes:

> at 2:51: (p. 214) repeat "was" can be cut once

> at 9:38: (p. 218) you say here "quote" but not "unquote" for "talking himself". I personally leave out all quotation marks and rather change my voice a bit to convey quotes. I notice sometimes you leave them out altogether, which I find is the more fluent solution as it doesn't break the flow of the text so much

> at 14:25-14:33: (p. 221) repeat "by the same wish to épater les bourgeois" – one version can be cut

thanks

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia. I can't believe he quoted Wilde's 'ghost'. He really is grasping for material by this third biography!

I've made the changes. https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/realoscarwilde_14_sherard_128kb.mp3

I take your point about the 'quote/unquote' thing. Sometimes Sherard quotes loooooong sections, and so I feel I have to mark those as quotes otherwise I wonder if the listener will know when we're back to Sherard. I could do more different voices, but I am a bit lazy when it comes to that! With shorter quotes or when it's really obvious when the quote ends, I try to avoid saying quote/unquote. In the example you mentioned, I agree it works better without the 'quote' so I deleted it.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 6:14 amI can't believe he quoted Wilde's 'ghost'. He really is grasping for material by this third biography!
:lol: how many more books are published after this on the subject ? I wonder what he will come up with next
I take your point about the 'quote/unquote' thing. Sometimes Sherard quotes loooooong sections, and so I feel I have to mark those as quotes otherwise I wonder if the listener will know when we're back to Sherard.
yes for longer it might make sense but not for these short ones.
I could do more different voices, but I am a bit lazy when it comes to that!
it's not that I really do different voices, it doesn't have to be a dramatic reading. I use more another tone of voice, a bit like an aside maybe. Cannot really explain it I'm afraid.

In any case, it's Spot PL ok now :) thanks

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow the humiliating episode in the train station was quite awful. :( People can be so mean.

Chapters 15, 17 and 18 already PL ok and everything is excellently narrated. :thumbs:

just a tiny correction for Chapter 16:

> at 0:04: part of intro missing "this LV recording is in the public domain"

thanks and have a nice weekend

Sonia