[COMPLETE][SOLO] The Real Oscar Wilde by Robert Sherard - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

The Real Oscar Wilde by Robert Sherard (1861 - 1943).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-real-oscar-wilde-by-robert-sherard/
The Real Oscar Wilde is the third book about the Irish poet and playwright by his earliest and most prolific biographer. Since writing his earlier The Life of Oscar Wilde (1906), Sherard had read Lord Alfred "Bosie" Douglas's Oscar Wilde and Myself (1914) and an unexpurgated typescript of Wilde's De Profundis. (Rob Marland)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/realoscarwildeto00sherrich/page/iii
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Real Oscar Wilde. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Real Oscar Wilde, by Robert Sherard. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Real Oscar Wilde by Robert Sherard. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Real Oscar Wilde, by Robert Sherard."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename realoscarwilde_##_sherard_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. realoscarwilde_01_sherard_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by RobMarland on October 13th, 2019, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

interesting book ! I can MC this and I am currently even thinking of DPLing... though I have quite a lot on my plate already. Are you planning on rushing through this ? :)

Question: where did you find the copyright notice ? :hmm:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

so MW is ready now and I succumbed to the temptation to PL :lol: I see you have a lot of French in there, if you need any help with that, just holler.

Off to Going Solo then. Looking forward to this. Any bity chapters in there ? :mrgreen:

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote: September 27th, 2019, 6:37 am interesting book ! I can MC this and I am currently even thinking of DPLing... though I have quite a lot on my plate already. Are you planning on rushing through this ? :)

Question: where did you find the copyright notice ? :hmm:

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia!

The year isn’t in the book, as you’ve noticed, but the uploader specified on archive.org that it was 1916. I thought this must be wrong because according to Wikipedia it was first published in 1917. However, I’ve just checked the bibliography sections of a couple of recent biographies and they say 1916. This copy is by the original publisher so is probably a first edition.

I will try to go through it as quickly as possible, probably at weekends when it’s quieter.

Yes, Sherard uses a lot (too much) French. I never studied it so am using Forvo to check pronunciation. But I am not going to worry about it too much. I have no burning desire to get it right, so I won’t need any comments on that aspect, thanks.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: September 27th, 2019, 8:43 amYes, Sherard uses a lot (too much) French. I never studied it so am using Forvo to check pronunciation. But I am not going to worry about it too much. I have no burning desire to get it right, so I won’t need any comments on that aspect, thanks.
:lol: ok thanks for warning me. Well, I'll keep mum about it then.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oho, you are fast ! :shock: Well I already checked the Intro and the first chapter, and so far, it's very interesting and excellently written (and narrated :thumbs: )

Introduction: PL ok.

PL notes for Section 1:

> at 0:01: "Chapter 1" - you say "Chapter 2"
> at 6:53-7:04: (p. 5) repeat "she informed me ... on the quai Voltaire" - one version can be cut out

will get to the next two soon. Good start !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and also finished the next two chapters. I liked the episode with Petit Louis.

I only found two small things to correct:

Section 2

> at 11:57: (p. 25) I don't know how accurate you want the text, but here Petit Louis is a bit more insistant, you missed the underlined part: "all that is dead and buried, dead and buried long ago, dead and buried like Malbrouck" - probably optional though

Section 3

> at 4:20-4:26: (p. 32) stumble and repeat, can get cut out: "no one knew how deeply..."

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: September 28th, 2019, 2:51 pm PL notes about missing sentences would be great, thanks, even when it's like the case you note above where the meaning is unaffected.
ok thank you for letting me know. Apart from very small things I usually note everything down and leave it up to the reader to correct or not.

Chapters 1, 2 and 3 now PL ok. Excellent patches.

Will probably check the other ones tomorrow though !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

the next three chapters are also excellently narrated :thumbs: being in debt so constantly must have been an enormous strain for all these people back then :(

Chapter 4 is already PL ok.

the other two are probably also PL ok, but since you want to hear any small comment, I will note two, and let you decide what to do with them:

for chapter 5:

> at 16:03: (p. 75): this balance sheet is the only footnote you left out, is this done on purpose because it was too difficult to read and follow or an oversight ? :hmm:

for chapter 6:

> at 17:14: (p. 91): “I then also wrote” – you say “quote” - probably trivial, but a bit of a change in meaning

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote: September 30th, 2019, 3:38 am for chapter 5:

> at 16:03: (p. 75): this balance sheet is the only footnote you left out, is this done on purpose because it was too difficult to read and follow or an oversight ? :hmm:
Yes, I skipped this because I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to reading something like that!
Kitty wrote: September 30th, 2019, 3:38 am for chapter 6:

> at 17:14: (p. 91): “I then also wrote” – you say “quote” - probably trivial, but a bit of a change in meaning

Sonia
Thanks. File for spot PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/realoscarwilde_06_sherard_128kb.mp3

Also, chapter 7 for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/realoscarwilde_07_sherard_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: September 30th, 2019, 2:32 pmYes, I skipped this because I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to reading something like that!
yes that's what I thought, and it would also have been difficult for a listener to assimilate all this just from hearing.
and both sections are PL ok now.

Great job so far. This chapter now reminds me that I still wanted to watch that recent movie about the last months of Oscar Wilde, with Rupert Everett in the title role. Have you seen it ? Is it recommendable ?

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote: October 1st, 2019, 1:16 am Great job so far. This chapter now reminds me that I still wanted to watch that recent movie about the last months of Oscar Wilde, with Rupert Everett in the title role. Have you seen it ? Is it recommendable ?
Thanks!
It's hard for me to judge whether that film is good because I am hopelessly biased, but I saw it 4x in the cinema so I must have liked it. I think the Fry film is better but it ends when he comes out of prison, which is where the Everett one starts, so it's worth watching just to get the rest of the story.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »