[SOLO] Gudrun by Ferdinand Schmidt - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 3rd, 2019, 2:15 am

ssfellows wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 8:58 pm
roughly four "Gudruns" per minute (or 4 GPM)
:lol: GPM - I like this new velocity measuring :mrgreen:
oho, it's starting out quite belligerently immediately :shock: From the start, an abduction of the fair maiden is planned. Who would have thought ?

Excellent beginning to the story, and flawlessly read. :thumbs: PL ok right away. I also like that you make the dialogues lives and give them a bit different voice. Well done.

Thanks !

Sonia

ssfellows

Post by ssfellows » September 11th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Hello Sonia,

Chapter 2 is now ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_02_schmidt_128kb.mp3

Apologies for the delay between recordings; I was battling an awful cold for the past week, which no one would want to hear. Hopefully I will be on a more regular schedule going forward.

Regards,
Steve

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 12th, 2019, 12:21 am

ssfellows wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 8:09 pm
Apologies for the delay between recordings; I was battling an awful cold for the past week, which no one would want to hear. Hopefully I will be on a more regular schedule going forward.
no need to apologize. I think you are doing this at a good speed anyway. (some solos even take years to complete ;) so you are perfectly fast in comparison). In a solo there is no real deadline, the only thing we ask are regular updates, a short note that you are still alive and interested in continuing (let's say every two months for example). As long as you don't vanish completely, I will keep this project running for you.

That said, sorry to hear about your cold. I hope you're on the mend.

Section 2 is perfectly PL ok and I didn't hear any "coughy voice" :lol: Sounds good to my ears. So now Gudrun finally found a knight worthy of her...curious how the story will continue.

Thank you

Sonia

ssfellows

Post by ssfellows » September 13th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Hi Sonia,

Chapter 3 is ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_03_schmidt_128kb.mp3

Have a good weekend!

-Steve

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 14th, 2019, 2:53 am

ssfellows wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Chapter 3 is ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_03_schmidt_128kb.mp3
these chapters always end with a foreboding cliff-hanger sentence :lol: keeps one hooked.

Chapter 3 absolutely PL ok. I don't like Siegfried's "bad loser" attitude. :evil:

Thank you, and have a nice weekend too

Sonia

ssfellows

Post by ssfellows » September 15th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Hi Sonia,

Chapter 4 is ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_04_schmidt_128kb.mp3

Regards,
Steve

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 16th, 2019, 1:49 am

ssfellows wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 8:08 pm
Chapter 4 is ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_04_schmidt_128kb.mp3
oho, an abduction ! now the plot thickens. They don't omit any drama :lol:

Again, a perfectly PL ok chapter. Thanks :)

Sonia

ssfellows

Post by ssfellows » September 16th, 2019, 3:24 am

Kitty wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:49 am
Again, a perfectly PL ok chapter. Thanks :)
And thanks again to you, Sonia!

I do have a small request, a result of my inexperience with this whole process. I had microphone issues early on, but I was so eager to make progress on my first solo project that I used a spare headset to re-record Chapter 0. The audio quality is...passable, but it has been bothering me ever since - a learning experience for sure about trading quality for expedience.

Now that I cleared up the mic issue, I re-re-recorded Chapter 0 and hoped we might be able to use that instead. Would that make a lot of extra work in your case? Please let me know if this is feasible.

Regards,
Steve

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 16th, 2019, 6:18 am

ssfellows wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 3:24 am
Now that I cleared up the mic issue, I re-re-recorded Chapter 0 and hoped we might be able to use that instead. Would that make a lot of extra work in your case?
well, since it's barely 3 minutes, the "extra" work in this case is not very significant ;) so if you are really unhappy with the quality, then yes, you can reupload it and I'll listen to it again. To me the audio sounded fine though.

And indeed, usually we have a policy that once a section is PL approved, the reader should not reupload a new version. This is, as you suspected, because of the extra work involved. Here it doesn't matter much, but with chapters of almost an hour's length, this extra work would be very significant and we try to avoid such extra strain on time and work.

We also try to prevent that some readers may never be happy with their recording and keep reuploading :lol: So we usually ask them to only reupload when they are happy with a section and not before that. ;)

That said, of course it's up to the reader/DPL discretion. If both parties are ok with it, then it's not forbidden, but it's not encouraged, for the above mentioned reasons.

So bottom line: yes you can reupload Section 0 :) Third time I will listen to that one, I will know it by heart soon :mrgreen:

But I hope you are happy with all the other sections. Did you use the new microphone there already ? Good thing you noticed it immediately.

Sonia

ssfellows

Post by ssfellows » September 16th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Kitty wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 6:18 am
So bottom line: yes you can reupload Section 0 :) Third time I will listen to that one, I will know it by heart soon :mrgreen:
Thank you Sonia! Chapter 0 is up for review again: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_00_schmidt_128kb.mp3
Having recorded and edited it three times myself, I'm surprised I'm not hearing it in my dreams at this point. :P

Long story short, my old mic was adding increasing amounts of feedback and static, seemingly at random. At this point, every recording is from my new, functional mic, except for Chapter 1 (recorded on a day when the old mic was behaving itself). I think if you listen to the chapters in quick succession, Chapter 1 sounds a little different (bassier) than the others. To my ears, Chapter 2 also sounds different, but mostly because I was getting back into the groove after my sickness.

As suggested by the preceding paragraph, I am perhaps my own worst critic, so I can understand why Librivox discourages the pursuit of perfection by readers. I'll give it my best shot and try to be content with that going forward. :wink:

Regards,
Steve

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 17th, 2019, 1:38 am

ssfellows wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 4:16 pm
Chapter 0 is up for review again: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_00_schmidt_128kb.mp3
and third time PL ok approved ;)
As suggested by the preceding paragraph, I am perhaps my own worst critic, so I can understand why Librivox discourages the pursuit of perfection by readers. I'll give it my best shot and try to be content with that going forward. :wink:
well you can be as critical of your own recordings as you like (but it should stay within healthy limits :lol: ) as long as you are still in the recording and editing phase. But what we ask is that once you decide to upload a finished version, and that one is PL approved as well, then it would be good not to have second thoughts and re-do it from scratch.

You're doing well so far :)

Sonia

ssfellows

Post by ssfellows » September 18th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Kitty wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 1:38 am
You're doing well so far :)
Thanks Sonia - onwards and upwards, then! :thumbs:

Chapter 5 is ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_05_schmidt_128kb.mp3

Regards,
Steve

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » Yesterday, 1:09 am

ssfellows wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 7:31 pm
Chapter 5 is ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_05_schmidt_128kb.mp3
haha, now Siegfried is on their side again :lol: excellently read again, Steve, I really love the dialogue voices you are doing. If ever you decide to venture into drama, there are a few plays running currently where I would love to hear you play a part (yes I'm very active there too :mrgreen: )

PL ok ! On to the next

Sonia

ssfellows

Post by ssfellows » Yesterday, 9:18 pm

Hi Sonia,

Chapter 6 is ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_06_schmidt_128kb.mp3
Kitty wrote:
Yesterday, 1:09 am
If ever you decide to venture into drama, there are a few plays running currently where I would love to hear you play a part (yes I'm very active there too :mrgreen: )
I must admit, you've piqued my interest. I hadn't really considered the dramatic section before, as I feared that I'd be in over my head. Are there any projects that you would recommend? I see that "Sherlock Holmes" is in need of a King of Bohemia - after reading all of these Germanic names, I'm tempted to give it a try! :wink:

All the best,
Steve

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » Today, 5:01 am

ssfellows wrote:
Yesterday, 9:18 pm
Chapter 6 is ready for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gudrun_06_schmidt_128kb.mp3
excellent job again and PL ok naturally. :thumbs: Now the king is dead :shock:
I must admit, you've piqued my interest.
well that was fully my intention :mrgreen: I'm always on the lookout for talent
I hadn't really considered the dramatic section before, as I feared that I'd be in over my head.
you shouldn't worry about that. What you are performing here in your solo is basically some sort of dramatic reading, only instead of having many readers you are doing all the voices yourself. In the dramas we offer, each reader plays only one role (usually, sometimes there is doubling with minor roles but we try to avoid that).
Are there any projects that you would recommend?
plenty ! I am especially PLing the stage plays that Todd is launching. Usually we have a Molière and a Pinero going (two new ones have only just started and are still in the launch pad), and plenty others, there is a Ben Jonson play and the "special" play "Dr. Johnson", which actually has lots of small roles left, so that would be perfect to try it out before venturing to the main character ;) We also have one by Steele for which we are waiting for the final character to get claimed, but it's already a bigger role, in case you want to start small it may not be for you. If you check out any of those, I'll be your PLer again.
I see that "Sherlock Holmes" is in need of a King of Bohemia - after reading all of these Germanic names, I'm tempted to give it a try! :wink:

ah ok, I see maybe you are more interesting in dramatic reading, yes there are many of those on offer too. I admit that I am more in the "real" stage plays. Yes, the Sherlock Holmes project seems to be very popular right now. As for the King of Bohemia, you can ask if you are interested. I think I read in the thread that they want a genuine Central European accent for this role, but I'm not sure. You can always ask and they will tell you the details that are required.

I'm sure you will have fun once you try it out. :9: (beware: it can be addictive :mrgreen: )

Sonia