KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Thank you!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Introduction is flawless. PL OK!
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS wrote: October 28th, 2019, 9:36 am Introduction is flawless. PL OK!
Thank you for the encouragement, Kevin.
Also, my best wishes to your vision recovery.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

IstXA wrote: October 28th, 2019, 9:56 am
KevinS wrote: October 28th, 2019, 9:36 am Introduction is flawless. PL OK!
Thank you for the encouragement, Kevin.
Also, my best wishes to your vision recovery.
Thank you. I think it's simple eyestrain. I'm having special glasses made for computer use.
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

Letter 1 is ready for PL. It passed the Checker (86.3dB) :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/lettersonengland_01_128kb.mp3 (14m46s)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

IstXA wrote: October 29th, 2019, 6:10 pm Letter 1 is ready for PL. It passed the Checker (86.3dB) :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/lettersonengland_01_128kb.mp3 (14m46s)
Thank you. I'll listen soon!
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

Letter 2 is now in place. Checker shows 86+dB. Thank you.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/lettersonengland_02_128kb.mp3 (07:11)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Both Letters 1 and 2 are quite good. I hear a bit of 'fuzz' in the background, however, and I would recommend that the volume be brought up just a bit higher than our lowest acceptable limit.

I have included a link below that is an example of what might be done with your recordings. If you think this example is to be preferred, please let me know and I will be most pleased to show you what was done.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OO4tJ9KSDW4lWfPmy1pwaSjJ3ONp_dE8
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 3:03 pm Both Letters 1 and 2 are quite good. I hear a bit of 'fuzz' in the background, however, and I would recommend that the volume be brought up just a bit higher than our lowest acceptable limit.

I have included a link below that is an example of what might be done with your recordings. If you think this example is to be preferred, please let me know and I will be most pleased to show you what was done.

This is extraordinary, Kevin. Please do show me the way.
I am grateful for your precious time and for the tips so valuable to me.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

IstXA wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 4:21 pm
KevinS wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 3:03 pm Both Letters 1 and 2 are quite good. I hear a bit of 'fuzz' in the background, however, and I would recommend that the volume be brought up just a bit higher than our lowest acceptable limit.

As Section 1 is already done, let's do Section 2 together.

First you must open your original Audacity file for Section 2, if you have not removed it. (If you have erased it, there is no problem. We will simply download the mp3 from the Magic Window and then open the file with Audacity.)

Find a segment of 4 or 5 seconds of 'fuzzy' silence. (It can be less than this if need be. 2 seconds of silence WITH fuzz is sufficient.) Highlight this area and then use the noise reduction effect. You'll choose the highlighted segment as your sample by hitting the 'Get noise profile' button.

Now, use the selection function to select the whole recording and then use the noise reduction function again. This time you will enact the cleaning process as the sample was already selected.

For your file, I used a relatively strong setting, but I don't think it harmed the sound. The setting should be, from top to bottom, 16---14---6---reduce. Hit the 'Okay' button and the computer will work its magic.

If you are satisfied with this sound, then you can again select the entire recording and use the Amplify effect. I would increase your volume by just 2db. (Remember that you need not do this, but your recording is at the lowest acceptable volume currently.)

Should you have questions, I will be here for a bit yet tonight and a good deal of time tomorrow.

Good luck.
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 5:11 pm
IstXA wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 4:21 pm

As Section 1 is already done, let's do Section 2 together.

First you must open your original Audacity file for Section 2, if you have not removed it. (If you have erased it, there is no problem. We will simply download the mp3 from the Magic Window and then open the file with Audacity.)

Find a segment of 4 or 5 seconds of 'fuzzy' silence. (It can be less than this if need be. 2 seconds of silence WITH fuzz is sufficient.) Highlight this area and then use the noise reduction effect. You'll choose the highlighted segment as your sample by hitting the 'Get noise profile' button.

Now, use the selection function to select the whole recording and then use the noise reduction function again. This time you will enact the cleaning process as the sample was already selected.

For your file, I used a relatively strong setting, but I don't think it harmed the sound. The setting should be, from top to bottom, 16---14---6---reduce. Hit the 'Okay' button and the computer will work its magic.

If you are satisfied with this sound, then you can again select the entire recording and use the Amplify effect. I would increase your volume by just 2db. (Remember that you need not do this, but your recording is at the lowest acceptable volume currently.)

Should you have questions, I will be here for a bit yet tonight and a good deal of time tomorrow.

Good luck.
Thank you Kevin. I shall find time to upload revisions during this week. I will write again once I get them corrected. Cheers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

IstXA wrote: November 4th, 2019, 4:27 pm
Thank you Kevin. I shall find time to upload revisions during this week. I will write again once I get them corrected. Cheers
Don't hesitate to ask question should you wish. I'm here quite a lot.
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS wrote: November 4th, 2019, 5:08 pm
Hi, Kevin,

Firstly, I have replaced the Letter 1 file with yours: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/lettersonengland_01_128kb.mp3 (14:46). The MW is updated.

I then managed to do some experiments, using both FLAC and MP3 files, and the results seem the same (below are the details). None of these can match with the file Letter 1 polished by you: it seems that the "fuzz" in the background just came back persistently whenever I amplify, the larger value I amplify, the more "fuzz" seems to be restored after the noise reduction.

The Introduction file I uploaded initially should be quite consistent with the Letter 1 file based on which you achieved the extraordinary result, whereas the Letter 2 file uploaded initially has gone through different adjustment including Compressor, Normalising, Amplify (6~7), and twice noise reduction (12-6-3 followed with 4-6-3).

Letter 2:
Setting 1 - noise reduction 16-14-6, followed with amplify 2: volume test result 79.6dB;
Setting 2 - same noise reduction as above, followed with amplify 12 (allow clipping): 89.5;
Setting 3 - same noise reduction as above, followed with amplify 10 (allow clipping): 88.5 which is closer to your file of Letter 1.

Introduction:
Setting 1 - noise reduction 16-14-6, followed with amplify 2 (allow clipping): volume test result 82.1dB;
Setting 2 - same noise reduction as above, followed with amplify 8 (allow clipping):88.1

I am not uploading the new files for Letter 2 and Introduction as they are not improved so much in terms of the "fuzz" background noise. I must have missed something fundamental in your tips, e.g. the Audacity setting. The challenge is that after hearing the file you polished, I can no longer accept what I produce... :hmm: so please :help: Much appreciated.

While waiting, I am working on editing Letter 3, which gives me a clean slate to follow your instruction. I shall write today/tomorrow once I finish.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

IstXA wrote: November 5th, 2019, 11:10 am
KevinS wrote: November 4th, 2019, 5:08 pm
Hi, Kevin,

Firstly, I have replaced the Letter 1 file with yours: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/lettersonengland_01_128kb.mp3 (14:46). The MW is updated.

I then managed to do some experiments, using both FLAC and MP3 files, and the results seem the same (below are the details). None of these can match with the file Letter 1 polished by you: it seems that the "fuzz" in the background just came back persistently whenever I amplify, the larger value I amplify, the more "fuzz" seems to be restored after the noise reduction.

The Introduction file I uploaded initially should be quite consistent with the Letter 1 file based on which you achieved the extraordinary result, whereas the Letter 2 file uploaded initially has gone through different adjustment including Compressor, Normalising, Amplify (6~7), and twice noise reduction (12-6-3 followed with 4-6-3).

Letter 2:
Setting 1 - noise reduction 16-14-6, followed with amplify 2: volume test result 79.6dB;
Setting 2 - same noise reduction as above, followed with amplify 12 (allow clipping): 89.5;
Setting 3 - same noise reduction as above, followed with amplify 10 (allow clipping): 88.5 which is closer to your file of Letter 1.

Introduction:
Setting 1 - noise reduction 16-14-6, followed with amplify 2 (allow clipping): volume test result 82.1dB;
Setting 2 - same noise reduction as above, followed with amplify 8 (allow clipping):88.1

I am not uploading the new files for Letter 2 and Introduction as they are not improved so much in terms of the "fuzz" background noise. I must have missed something fundamental in your tips, e.g. the Audacity setting. The challenge is that after hearing the file you polished, I can no longer accept what I produce... :hmm: so please :help: Much appreciated.

While waiting, I am working on editing Letter 3, which gives me a clean slate to follow your instruction. I shall write today/tomorrow once I finish.
.Not to worry.! .I will have a look after .I get my keyboard fixed.! .For the first time in my life .I spilled my coffee while working. .Now my keyboard has a faulty shift key.