[COMPLETE] Letters On England by Voltaire - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

Letters on England by Voltaire (1694 - 1778).

This project is completed! Please download and listen from here: https://librivox.org/letters-on-england-by-voltaire/

Voltaire spent his early thirties in England as an exile following the Bastille imprisonment for his satires. With passionate admiration, he then wrote this series of letters in English putting forward his views on the 18th century England, in contrast with the feudal society of his home country, encompassing aspects of religion, politics, sciences, and literature. The book was published in England and the free England received these philosophical, political, critical, poetical, heretical, and diabolical letters with delight, whereas in France, the book was denounced and publicly burnt in Paris as scandalous, contrary to religion, to morals, and respect for authority.

• Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2445
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Non-fiction > Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: Quakers, letters, satires, Newton

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Letters on England. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Letters on England, by Voltaire. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Letters on England by Voltaire. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [#]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Letters on England, by Voltaire. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename lettersonengland_##_voltaire_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lettersonengland_01_voltaire_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by IstXA on November 5th, 2020, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Well done on filling out the template generator :thumbs:

Before starting a solo, I highly, highly recommend participating in a few group projects. That way you can see if you like recording (and editing, which takes much longer that then recording itself), and get a feel for how projects are run here. Being a soloist can be a lonely thing unless you have a very chatty and/or supportive proof listener, and participating in a few group projects is a good way of getting accustomed to everything. :)
Kathrine
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'll move this to book suggestions to keep the launch pad tidy.

When you feel that your feet are sufficiently wet to start this, we can move it back here. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

Maybe delete it as I can repost when I am ready for solo? Thanks.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I will be most happy to serve as DPL once this project is launched.
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

I am ready to work on this book, with KevinS as DPL. I would like to have this thread moved to the 'launch pad'. Thanks.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can set this project up and be the MC (meta coordinator) for this project. I'll be back in a little bit with a MW (magic window)
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Here we go! :thumbs:

Since you are the soloist, you will be the BC (book coordinator) and write the titles of the different sections in the MW and put the recordings there so Kevin can PL. I am not sure if you have accessed a MW yet, but if not, here are instructions to do so for the first time: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs This document explains the roles of BC (and DPL) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

Please holler if you need anything! I will move the project to Going Solo in a couple of days :9:

Kevin, welcome on board!
Kathrine
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

kathrinee wrote: October 20th, 2019, 9:48 pm Here we go! :thumbs:

Since you are the soloist, you will be the BC (book coordinator) and write the titles of the different sections in the MW and put the recordings there so Kevin can PL. I am not sure if you have accessed a MW yet, but if not, here are instructions to do so for the first time: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs This document explains the roles of BC (and DPL) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

Please holler if you need anything! I will move the project to Going Solo in a couple of days :9:

Kevin, welcome on board!
Thank you, Kathrinee. I have two immediate newbie questions. :help:

- The book has an introduction section in addition to the 24 letters / sections. I see there are 24 entries / titles in the MW. Would you please add one more?
- Voltaire wrote these letters in English however some letters / sections contain poems in French, followed with his own corresponding English translation. I am to read them in French and in English? Or I can skip the one in French? :hmm:

Cheers.
Xiaoyan
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

IstXA wrote: October 21st, 2019, 5:29 am

Kevin, welcome on board!

- The book has an introduction section in addition to the 24 letters / sections. I see there are 24 entries / titles in the MW. Would you please add one more?
- Voltaire wrote these letters in English however some letters / sections contain poems in French, followed with his own corresponding English translation. I am to read them in French and in English? Or I can skip the one in French? :hmm:

Cheers.
Xiaoyan
I have tried to save kathrinee some work and have updated the MW.
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS wrote: October 21st, 2019, 8:26 am

Kevin, welcome on board!

Cheers.
Xiaoyan
I have tried to save kathrinee some work and have updated the MW.
Awee! Now I have noticed there is a button to add sections... Thank you, Kevin.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Cheers.
Xiaoyan
Yes, both in French and English, please, if that is what he wrote in the letters. :)
Kathrine
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS wrote: October 20th, 2019, 10:11 am I will be most happy to serve as DPL once this project is launched.
Hi, Kevin,
Here is the first one - the introduction. Thank you.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/lettersonengland_00_128kb.mp3
7m7s
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I can't wait to listen!

Do you wish for me to put the recording links into the Magic Window? I can, but perhaps this is something you would like to learn.
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

Awee! I didn't think! I am doing it now.