[SOLO] Raspberry Jam by Carolyn Wells - ke

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale » March 14th, 2020, 10:50 am

Hey Campbell,

Chapter 12 is uploaded. I've tried a couple of things this time. I used to color-code the character lines but this time I didn't. I've also used Truncate Silence to adjust the silence instead of doing them manually.

Please let me know what do you think.
Constructive criticism is always welcome. Thanks, SaraHale. :D

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm

SaraHale wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 10:50 am
Hey Campbell,

Chapter 12 is uploaded. I've tried a couple of things this time. I used to color-code the character lines but this time I didn't. I've also used Truncate Silence to adjust the silence instead of doing them manually.

Please let me know what do you think.
Yay! I feel like there must be information hidden in this, but I'm not picking up on it. I'm curious who it is.

As to the changes, I didn't hear too many changes. I think the truncating silence did make it move at a faster pace, with less space in between lines. So if that was what you were hoping to get, you got it.

I must have been feeling critical today, as I have a decent amount of notes:

4:20 – hocus-pocus should be pronounced as in here: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/hocus-pocus

5:37/5:42 – can you check ‘materialization’ for me? It sounds a bit funky to me but I can’t figure out exactly why. It sounds a bit better at 6:36

13:09 – can you check ‘stinginess’?

15:56 – heard ‘led’ instead of ‘red’

19:01 – heard ‘help’ instead of ‘keep’

19:16 – heard ‘they’ instead of ‘they’ll’

22:45 – can you check ‘consensus’ for me?

26:47 – can you check ‘grudgingly’?
Campbell
pronouns: they/them

SaraHale

Post by SaraHale » March 14th, 2020, 9:45 pm

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm
Yay! I feel like there must be information hidden in this, but I'm not picking up on it. I'm curious who it is.

As to the changes, I didn't hear too many changes. I think the truncating silence did make it move at a faster pace, with less space in between lines. So if that was what you were hoping to get, you got it.

Would you like a hint? :wink:

I guess it's okay not to color-code the characters' lines. But I guess I've failed with Truncate Silence. I wanted it to shorten any long silences to one second. But I think it does them less than 1 second. :hmm:

That's okay! I haven't given up on getting a PL Ok from the first try. :lol:

Take care of yourself. And I'll try to fix them as soon as possible.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 15th, 2020, 6:57 am

SaraHale wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 9:45 pm
Would you like a hint?
Ooh, yes please. I feel like I'm missing a lot.
SaraHale wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 9:45 pm
But I guess I've failed with Truncate Silence. I wanted it to shorten any long silences to one second. But I think it does them less than 1 second.
It could be one second. I'm just wondering if when you manually adjusted it it ended up being longer than one second. It doesn't sound bad, just moving faster, which isn't a good or a bad thing. It comes down to what you prefer.

Stay safe!
Campbell

SaraHale

Post by SaraHale » March 15th, 2020, 9:30 am

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 6:57 am
Ooh, yes please. I feel like I'm missing a lot.
Okay, pay closer attention to what Aunt Abby is saying. :mrgreen:

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 6:57 am
It could be one second. I'm just wondering if when you manually adjusted it it ended up being longer than one second. It doesn't sound bad, just moving faster, which isn't a good or a bad thing. It comes down to what you prefer.

Stay safe!
What I used to do is take a sample silence of 1 second and have it on a different Audacity window and copy and paste it between character lines. Which gave me headaches. I thought Truncate Silence will solve that problem for me.

To be honest, I do not know. I'm in a state where I'm recording this book for you. And that's the mindset that I will have with every book that I'll record. "I'm recording the book for the PLer's enjoyment."

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 15th, 2020, 10:50 am

SaraHale wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 9:30 am
Okay, pay closer attention to what Aunt Abby is saying.
Will do. That 'ghost' she saw was suspicious. It made it seem like it was someone who is unfamiliar with the layout was there. Maybe Ferdinand let someone in? I guess I'll see. Fascinating. This Raspberry Jam piece and the clock piece is weird too. At one point I thought it was Fifi, but there's nothing pointing to that except the Hamlet. No motive either. Unless she was trying to murder Aunt Abby... well, my mind is all over the place!
SaraHale wrote:
What I used to do is take a sample silence of 1 second and have it on a different Audacity window and copy and paste it between character lines. Which gave me headaches. I thought Truncate Silence will solve that problem for me.
My guess would be that it's hard to get exactly one second of silence when copying and pasting, and truncate silencing would get that exactly. So, if you wanted to slow it down, even slightly, maybe putting 1.25 seconds in between could do it. That being said, I'm not saying you have to. I honestly don't think there is a problem with this last recording, and did not prefer it more or less than your others. I just pointed it out because I noticed a change. If you want to truncate the silences because it is easier, by all means do so and I don't think it will hurt anything at all.
SaraHale wrote:
To be honest, I do not know. I'm in a state where I'm recording this book for you. And that's the mindset that I will have with every book that I'll record. "I'm recording the book for the PLer's enjoyment."
That's a great mindset. It's easy to get caught up in what people will think. I enjoy it though!
Campbell

SaraHale

Post by SaraHale » March 15th, 2020, 11:01 am

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 10:50 am
Will do. That 'ghost' she saw was suspicious. It made it seem like it was someone who is unfamiliar with the layout was there. Maybe Ferdinand let someone in? I guess I'll see. Fascinating. This Raspberry Jam piece and the clock piece is weird too. At one point I thought it was Fifi, but there's nothing pointing to that except the Hamlet. No motive either. Unless she was trying to murder Aunt Abby... well, my mind is all over the place!
I know what you mean. I don't want to talk much to avoid giving it away. I was just like you when I was reading it.

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
My guess would be that it's hard to get exactly one second of silence when copying and pasting, and truncate silencing would get that exactly. So, if you wanted to slow it down, even slightly, maybe putting 1.25 seconds in between could do it. That being said, I'm not saying you have to. I honestly don't think there is a problem with this last recording, and did not prefer it more or less than your others. I just pointed it out because I noticed a change. If you want to truncate the silences because it is easier, by all means do so and I don't think it will hurt anything at all.
Yes, I want to use Truncate Silence. This time will try the 1.25 seconds and see how it will go. I don't want to do manually EVER.
lymiewithpurpose wrote:
That's a great mindset. It's easy to get caught up in what people will think. I enjoy it though!
I'm happy you are enjoying it.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 15th, 2020, 11:12 am

SaraHale wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 11:01 am
I know what you mean. I don't want to talk much to avoid giving it away. I was just like you when I was reading it.
Great minds think alike. I feel like it's going to be obvious when I figure it out.
SaraHale wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 11:01 am
Yes, I want to use Truncate Silence. This time will try the 1.25 seconds and see how it will go. I don't want to do manually EVER.
I was surprised to hear you say you did it manually. I never adjusted my silences at all. I'm glad you found this to help, manually sounds like too much work.
Campbell

SaraHale

Post by SaraHale » April 4th, 2020, 3:27 am

@26:47 - grudgingly

@22:48 - I know the consensus of opinion is that I murdered my husband

@19:16 - they'll

@18:59 - You know if those men can’t keep you out of the court-room

@15:56 - her red lips

@13:08 - his stinginess

@05:37 - a materialization of—of Mr. Embury.”, “Never mind about materialization

@04:18 - you told me that in all the foolery and hocus-pocus there was
lymiewithpurpose wrote:

4:20 – hocus-pocus should be pronounced as in here: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/hocus-pocus

5:37/5:42 – can you check ‘materialization’ for me? It sounds a bit funky to me but I can’t figure out exactly why. It sounds a bit better at 6:36

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 4th, 2020, 10:07 am

SaraHale wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 3:27 am
@26:47 - grudgingly

@22:48 - I know the consensus of opinion is that I murdered my husband

@19:16 - they'll

@18:59 - You know if those men can’t keep you out of the court-room

@15:56 - her red lips

@13:08 - his stinginess

@05:37 - a materialization of—of Mr. Embury.”, “Never mind about materialization

@04:18 - you told me that in all the foolery and hocus-pocus there was
lymiewithpurpose wrote:

Wonderful editing, PL OK.
Campbell

SaraHale

Post by SaraHale » April 4th, 2020, 11:09 am

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 10:07 am
Wonderful editing, PL OK.
Thanks! I know that I'm like a turtle with this book but I'll do my best to finish as soon as possible.

SaraHale

Post by SaraHale » April 6th, 2020, 7:58 am

Hey Campbell,

I hope you're staying safe.

Chapter 13 is ready for PL.

I've adjusted the automated silence (aka Truncate Silence). Let me know what do you think about it and the chapter in general.

Thanks!

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 6th, 2020, 1:56 pm

SaraHale wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 7:58 am
Hey Campbell,

I hope you're staying safe.

Chapter 13 is ready for PL.

I've adjusted the automated silence (aka Truncate Silence). Let me know what do you think about it and the chapter in general.

Thanks!
This is a great book, I can't wait to figure out who did it. I am wondering now why the Hanlon scenes were included in the beginning, I feel like that must have information. No idea. They haven't even discussed multiple people working together...

Anyways, I liked the silence this time. There were a few times that I felt they were a tad long, but that was pretty rare and overall they seemed perfect. If I were you I would keep it like this.

Now to notes. Most of them were at the very beginning for some reason.

0:39 – heard ‘inavriably’ instead of ‘invariably’

1:21 – heard ‘feverent’ instead of ‘fervent’

3:55 – burglarious should be pronounced https://www.dictionary.com/browse/burglarious

4:30 – heard ‘Mrs.’ instead of ‘Miss’

7:13 – heard ‘remarkable’ instead of ‘remarkably’

24:18 – heard ‘sweetly’ instead of ‘sweets’

26:50 – heard ‘Fisby’ instead of ‘Fibsy’

Take your time with uploading!
Campbell

SaraHale

Post by SaraHale » April 6th, 2020, 10:29 pm

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 1:56 pm
This is a great book, I can't wait to figure out who did it. I am wondering now why the Hanlon scenes were included in the beginning, I feel like that must have information. No idea. They haven't even discussed multiple people working together...
Thanks! Well, you're on the right track. I feel that you'll know the killer.
lymiewithpurpose wrote:
Anyways, I liked the silence this time. There were a few times that I felt they were a tad long, but that was pretty rare and overall they seemed perfect. If I were you I would keep it like this.
I'll keep it. :thumbs:
lymiewithpurpose wrote:
Now to notes. Most of them were at the very beginning for some reason.

0:39 – heard ‘inavriably’ instead of ‘invariably’

1:21 – heard ‘feverent’ instead of ‘fervent’

3:55 – burglarious should be pronounced https://www.dictionary.com/browse/burglarious

4:30 – heard ‘Mrs.’ instead of ‘Miss’

7:13 – heard ‘remarkable’ instead of ‘remarkably’

24:18 – heard ‘sweetly’ instead of ‘sweets’

26:50 – heard ‘Fisby’ instead of ‘Fibsy’

Take your time with uploading!
I'll fix them. Oh, by the way, I hope you'll like Fibsy. He is just an AWESOME character and he is the reason why I decided to record the book. :wink:

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 7th, 2020, 7:22 am

SaraHale wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 10:29 pm
Oh, by the way, I hope you'll like Fibsy. He is just an AWESOME character and he is the reason why I decided to record the book. :wink:
He is wonderful. I have a feeling he's going to solve it all.
Campbell