COMPLETE: [Solo] Practical Mysticism by Evelyn Underhill-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
arnell

Post by arnell »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/practical-mysticism-by-evelyn-underhill/

Practical Mysticism by Evelyn Underhill (1875 - 1941).

Underhill’s definition of mysticism, her exploration of the stages of spiritual progress along the mystical path, and her argument about the practical application of mysticism for ordinary people. (Summary by Carla Arnell )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21774
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Practical Mysticism. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Practical Mysticism, by Evelyn Underhill. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Practical Mysticism by Evelyn Underhill. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Practical Mysticism, by Evelyn Underhill. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename practicalmysticism_##_underhill_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. practicalmysticism_01_underhill_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Evelyn Underhill
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Practical Mysticism

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello, Carla!

Welcome to Librivox!

I saw you are an old-time listener. However, reading a whole book is quite time-consuming. That is why we strongly encourage you to read a chapter for one of our group projects before you start a solo. That way, you'll get feedback from experienced volunteers and an idea of the work and time involved in recording an entire book. You'll also get used to the LibriVox system and sort out any problems with your recording equipment, if necessary. All books in our Readers Wanted section need readers.

Also, wait just a little bit and someone will give you feedback on your one-minute test.

If you wish to go ahead and start this project, I will set this up for you. :D
Leni
=================
arnell

Post by arnell »

Hi Leni,

Thank you for this reply! I read books for audiotaping for several years as part of a volunteer recording service for the blind and dyslexic in the Chicago area, so I feel like I have a good sense of the time and challenges involved in recording books even though I haven’t been a reader for LibriVox. Also, this is one of Underhill’s shortest books -- only about 190 pages in total, with some chapters as short as 10 pages. There’s also fairly big type and lots of white space. Since it’s nonfiction, it doesn’t have lots of different characters to keep straight, and it doesn’t quote a lot foreign text in the way that some of her other books do. In other words, I think it would be a relatively straightforward first reading endeavor.

I still need to have someone review and give me feedback about my one-minute test (posted yesterday), but after that, I hope I can go forward with this short book.

Thank you again,

Carla
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello, Carla

Your project is up! :)

As the soloist, you are the coordinator of your own project. This document has all the information for you to manage your window, including how to login for the first time. I will leave the project here in Launchpad to see if we can attract a Proof-Listener. After a while, I will move it to the Going Solo forum.

Now you also have yoru own personal page: https://librivox.org/reader/13509 All your sections and projects will appear there.

Any doubts, please don't hesitate to ask! :D
Leni
=================
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

If you need a DPL for this project, I am available.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
arnell

Post by arnell »

Many thanks -- I do still need one.

Carla
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

DPLer added, off to Going Solo.
Leni
=================
arnell

Post by arnell »

Hi Leni,

I have uploaded and posted below the preface and first chapter of Underhill’s Practical Mysticism. Could I please get feedback before continuing on? Chapter One also needs at least one correction.

Thank you,

Carla

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/practicalmysticism_00_underhill_128kb.mp3 10’ 7"
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/practicalmysticism_01_underhill_128kb.mp3 17’ 14"
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello, Carla

Whenever you upload a section, you should add it to the window. I have added the preface, so you see how it looks. :) I listened to the first few minutes, and it sounds fine to me, but silverquill, your DPL, will give you more feedback. :)
Leni
=================
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

arnell wrote: August 10th, 2019, 11:14 am Hi Leni,

I have uploaded and posted below the preface and first chapter of Underhill’s Practical Mysticism. Could I please get feedback before continuing on? Chapter One also needs at least one correction.

Thank you,

Carla
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/practicalmysticism_00_underhill_128kb.mp3 10’ 7"
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/practicalmysticism_01_underhill_128kb.mp3 17’ 14"
Hi, Carla!
Oh, I saw only the preface in the MW, so just listened to it.
Getting late here, so I'll have to get Chapter 1 later.

You will be pleased, however, to know that the preface is PL OK, and is very well read. :clap:
I'm truly going to enjoy listening to your reading of this book.
~ Larry
arnell

Post by arnell »

Thanks for your response, Silverquill! However, I think I’m going to re-record Chapter 1 before posting it to the window, as Leni instructed. There are more glitches in it than I’d like.

Carla
arnell

Post by arnell »

Hi Leni and Silverquill,

I have entirely re-done and re-uploaded Chapter One, the link for which is below. However, I couldn’t find instructions for how to upload it to the “Window,” where Leni put the Preface. The FAQ sheet I was following said that the BC uploads to the window. If you give me instructions, I’ll be happy to do it. As an aside, is Leni both the BC and the MC?

Thank you!

Carla

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/practicalmysticism_01_underhill_128kb.mp3 17’ 50"
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi, Carla!

I'll have to find the link to the tutorial on working with the MW, but I'm sure Leni has it.

Anyway, Leni is the metacoordinator (MC) so she has overall supervision of the project, does the set up and the compiling at the end to upload it to Archive, and any other support in the middle. It's a huge job.

YOU are the Book Coordinator (BC) since this is a solo project!
I am just your dedicated proof listener (DPL).

Here's my quick step guide to the MW.

Click on BC ADMIN at the bottom of the MW on the left, and the MW will pop up ( I usually right click so I can open it in a new tab)

There, you just paste the upload link into the listen column.
We like to have the file length in the notes column.
Then, in the status column on the far right, click on choose Ready for PL from the drop-down menu.

In the title column on the left, you will want to put the name of the chapters, even if it is just Chapter 1, etc. This is how they will be listed in the catalog entry.

That should get you started.
~ Larry
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Yup, what he said. :mrgreen:

You are the BC. The soloist is the coordinator of their own project. The info about the window is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/edit But you can ignore all the stuff about getting claims etc., since you won't need to deal with it. It's just the part about filling it in, which silverquill summarized. :)
Leni
=================
arnell

Post by arnell »

Hi, Leni and Silverquill,

Ah, sorry to miss the BC information. Thank you!

Now Chapter 1 is reading for listening in the window. :D

Thanks,

Carla