[SOLO] d'Artagnan Romances, Vol. 3, Part 3: Iron Mask by Dumas -lt

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan » July 21st, 2019, 10:50 am

The d'Artagnan Romances, Vol 3, Part 3: The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870). Translated by William Robson (1785 - 1863)

Volume 3 of The d'Artagnan Romances is divided into three parts. In this, the final part, d’Artagnan’s fortune is near its height; having become the illustrious Captain of the Musketeers, he is now the chief defender of King Louis XIV. Fortune has also smiled on his three companions: Aramis is a wealthy bishop and the powerful, secret Superior General of the Jesuit Order (or “the black pope”); Athos is the premier nobleman of France; and Porthos becomes a Duke with the proud but garishly long-winded title of “du Vallon de Bracieux de Pierrefonds.” On the opposite side of fortune, we find the young Phillippe, a desolate iron-masked prisoner in the infamous Bastille who has been deprived of everything, even his true identity, and the formerly rich and powerful Superintendent of Finance, Nicholas Fouquet. Aramis dupes the good-natured Porthos and desperate Fouquet into aiding Phillippe… with disastrous consequences for all, including d’Artagnan and King Louis XIV! Dumas spares none in this conclusion. Indeed, the turn of events drive d’Artagnan to ask, “What is there left for man after youth, love, glory, friendship, strength, and wealth have disappeared?” His answer, a true Gascon to the end, does provides some inspiration: “Forward! still forward! When it is time, God will tell me, as he foretold the others.” (jvanstan)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2759/2759-h/2759-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Alexandre Dumas) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 89
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1850
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Fictional Biographies & Memoirs; Historical Fiction; Suspense, Espionage, Political & Thrillers; Literary Fiction; War & Military Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Louis XIV, Athos, Aramis, Porthos, jean-baptiste colbert

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The d'Artagnan Romances, Vol 3, Part 3: The Man in the Iron Mask. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Man in the Iron Mask, by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by William Robson, [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by William Robson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by William Robson. Thank you for listening."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename dartagnan03part3_##_dumas_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. dartagnan03part3_01_dumas_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Alexandre Dumas
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The d'Artagnan Romances, Vol 3, Part 3: The Man in the Iron Mask

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
1) Patty Marie has offered to DPL
2) Note that there will be two text links as this is the third part of the 3-part arrangement of this Volume. Thus, it begins at chapter 40 in La Valliere: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2710/2710-h/2710-h.htm

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » July 23rd, 2019, 1:15 pm

I've book marked and subscribed. Hope you get an MC and MW soon.
Pattymarie

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » July 29th, 2019, 10:26 am

Sorry to have dropped the ball :oops: I'm on the job now.
Help us finish:

Mary Anerley by R.D. Blackmore 30 sections remaining
Stories by Foreign Authors -German Authors 2 sections remaining

jvanstan

Post by jvanstan » July 30th, 2019, 10:49 am

Absolutely no worries, Lynne :) Thanks so much!
Lynnet wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 10:26 am
Sorry to have dropped the ball :oops: I'm on the job now.

jvanstan

Post by jvanstan » August 6th, 2019, 11:50 am

Hi Patty Marie! I've uploaded draft recordings of the first ten chapters :) I love the way the 3-part version of volume 3 is cut up. Part 3 begins right in the thick of it - with discussions between Chevreuse and Aramis of intrigues to come and intrigues now past :9:

Hope all's well!
John

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » August 7th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Delight. Sections 1 through 8 are PL OK. I'll get to the last two in the morning.
Pattymarie

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » August 7th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Sections 9 and 10 are PL OK.
Pattymarie

jvanstan

Post by jvanstan » August 12th, 2019, 10:10 am

Thanks much, Patty Marie!! Got ten more chapters for you :) My fall semester is starting, but my goal is to "keep calm and librivox" (hopefully 10 chapters a week)!

Man... what will I do when the d'Artagnan Romances are complete?? Maybe, I'll quickly fill in the boring gap between vol 3 part 1 and part 2 :hmm:

Best,
John

jvanstan

Post by jvanstan » August 12th, 2019, 10:11 am

jvanstan wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 10:10 am
part 1 and part 2
Err... I mean part 1 and part 3

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » August 15th, 2019, 9:27 am

Sections 11 through 15 are PL OK. Poor Raoul! :cry:
Pattymarie

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » August 15th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Sections 16 through 20 are PL OK. It's very late; I'll do the mw another time.
Pattymarie

jvanstan

Post by jvanstan » August 18th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Thanks, Patty Marie!

Now for 10 more sections ;)

Indeed, poor Raoul!
All the best,
John

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » August 21st, 2019, 6:58 am

Sections 21 through 30 are PL OK.
Pattymarie

jvanstan

Post by jvanstan » September 6th, 2019, 11:38 am

Hey Patty Marie - after a brief Hurricane distraction, I'm back librivoxing :) Got 10 more sections drafts uploaded and ready for you!

Hope all is well,
John

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » September 6th, 2019, 10:52 pm

Oh! I hope you and your family didn't receive any damages from the hurricane. I'm in a hurry to get off to an appointment this morning, but I'll download the new files this evening.
Pattymarie