[HISTORY] F. A. McKenzie, The Tragedy of Korea - availle

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
silverquill

Post by silverquill » December 27th, 2019, 9:25 pm

That does indeed sound strange. See what you get for your files in the Checker program. Here's a better link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

silverquill

Post by silverquill » January 6th, 2020, 11:54 am

Hi!

I've listened to several of these chapters, and they are fine except for the volume issue mentioned.
Any progress on diagnosing the problem?

Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » January 13th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Ran the Checker thing and it agrees with you that the volume is way high (not that I doubted you). Not sure what to do with that information, pardon my sad technological ignorance. It says to use "the free MP3Gain application." What is the best way to access that?

Again, I apologize for not being better at this. I learned the right buttons to push initially and just kept pushing those buttons. So a glitch like this leaves me helpless.

Seems that even if MP3Gain corrects a particular file, it still won't prevent me from having the exact same problem every time. How do I prevent having the same problems every chapter I record?

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » January 13th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Don't use mp3 gain to adjust the volume! In fact, it does not adjust anything, just setting a flag somewhere to tell the device to play the file at a certain volume. If the device can't handle the flag, you're back at square one...

If you're too loud, best thing is to try and reduce your recording volume. Can you turn down your microphone directly or on the computer? The next thing would be to de-amplify your file during post processing. It may take a while to get the settings right, but usually once you've done it and you don't change your recording environment, you're good to go.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

silverquill

Post by silverquill » January 13th, 2020, 9:55 pm

I do use the ReplayGain plug in just to tell me how much I need to amplify, up or down, the file. That is all it does, but it is handy since I don't have to exit Audacity. You should use the Amplification Effect in Audacity. You will find it in the Effect drop-down menue. You can use the value given by ReplayGain, or you can take the reading given by Checker and do a quick caldulation. If it measures 94.5 dB then you want to amplfy by a -5.5 to get it close to 89dB. There might be some audio distortion, but should still be acceptable. Try it and see how it goes. Or, I'd be glad to do this on the files you've submitted. Fairly simple once you get the steps down.

The real issue is to get your raw recording at the right level, and that may take a little experiementation. Adjusting the mic gain is the most important. That depends a lot on the mic you are using, its orientation and recording environment. Try different things and settings until you get a better result.

Let me know how it goes.