[HISTORY] F. A. McKenzie, The Tragedy of Korea - availle

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » July 28th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Though I am puzzled. The wave form looks absolutely normal, and I can listen to my Audacity recording without adjusting the volume. I was mostly worried that the new microphone was produced a slight tinniness. So I will have to figure out how to address the problems you mention, since they don't show up in my recording and playback...

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » July 28th, 2019, 11:16 pm

I have taken a very quick look at the waveform, and while there does not seem to be any clipping in the few parts that I checked, it is indeed way too loud. In a normal, 89dB recording, the waves should be around the 0.5 mark in audacity - yours are just below 1.0. Indeed, mp3gain confirms what Larry said - 97.6dB... :?

It's best to try and reduce the mic gain from the start to avoid that the waves are clipping (which is not fixable in post processing). This might also take care of the tinny sound you mention - it is noticable but not distracting I think.

As for pronunciation of the Korean place names, that's indeed a tough call and completely up to you. Personally I tend towards using the pronunciation that is now in modern use; just because the author couldn't find a good way to write Pyoengyang doesn't mean he didn't hear/say it the same way as we do today. But as I said, whatever you choose to do.

As a side remark, I believe I read somewhere that Peking is/was the Cantonese to the Mandarin Beijing. :D And the reason that most foreigners used Peking in the first place was because they most often met Cantonese speakers (Hong Kong, Macau come to mind). Not sure about that though.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

silverquill

Post by silverquill » July 29th, 2019, 9:17 am

Hey, Expat! Thanks for the interesting and enlightening discussion. :D Let's just say Westerners have always struggle with Asian names, and usually get them wrong. Even more problematic is trying to write then in non-Asian script. There is just no good way to write Korean. Is it Pusan or Busan? Or Fusan? Well, it is neither. And how to represent the different vowels? Japanese is, thankfully, a little easier to represent.

So, do the old spellings also represent old pronunciations? Or, just variant spellings? Who knows? So, carry on as best you see fit.

As to the tech issue, I think Ava's comments are helpful. Back down on the input audio gain. I'm not a sound engineer either, but do some trials until you get a good result. Feel free to send some samples if that will help.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » October 2nd, 2019, 4:08 am

Expatriate - are you alright?

I'm used to you breeezing through your solos, so I'm slightly worried as there hasn't been progress over summer. :?
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » October 2nd, 2019, 4:44 am

That was the old days; life is too complicated for much breezing these days.

But I never abandon a project. Will resume ASAP.

Thanks for asking...