[HISTORY] F. A. McKenzie, The Tragedy of Korea - availle

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » July 19th, 2019, 7:29 pm

The Tragedy of Korea by Frederick Arthur McKenzie (1869 - 1931).

To be submitted upon completion of project. ( Expatriate)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/tragedyofkorea01mcke
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Modern (20th C); *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography
    Keywords that describe the book: history, Japan, korea
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Tragedy of Korea. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Tragedy of Korea, by Frederick Arthur McKenzie. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Tragedy of Korea by Frederick Arthur McKenzie. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Tragedy of Korea, by Frederick Arthur McKenzie. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename tragedyofkorea_##_mckenzie_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. tragedyofkorea_01_mckenzie_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Expatriate on July 19th, 2019, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverquill

Post by silverquill » July 19th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Wonderful!
I have a long list of books on Korea that I would like to read, but I don't think I have this one, so great to see it!

If you need a DPL for this project, I would love to volunteer. Korea is sort of a second home to me, having been an expat there for probably 7-8 years, first with the Peace Corps, and then much later just as an English teacher in the public schools. Haven't been back for 5 years, and really miss it.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » July 19th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Sounds like a cool book! Unfortunately, it doesn't mention any kind of copyright date...

I know this will seem odd, but would you mind reading from this edition:
https://archive.org/details/tragedyofkorea01mcke

It's the very same book, I know, but this particular one is also on hathitrust where it says "public domain" in the left-hand column.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=dul1.ark:/13960/t8wb16k7c&view=1up&seq=7

If that's okay with you, I'm happy to MC this for you.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » July 19th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Thanks to you both, for DPLing and MCing.

I was born and raised in Japan and am living in Korea at the moment, so this particular book is of timely interest to me, with mixed feelings of all kinds...

It's been a while since I recorded a book, so I'll have to refresh my memory on all the right buttons to push...

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » July 19th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Okay, I've set this up for you - we're looking good! And I'm sure you'll find the right buttons again in no time! :wink:

Where are you in Korea? I've lived in Daejeon and Pohang for a few years.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » July 19th, 2019, 8:48 pm

I'm in Jecheon in North Chungcheon-do. Seems very much out in the boonies and several decades into the past, because I've only lived in Seoul before. Surprising the difference....

Just ran into some technical difficulties. This project may go on hold for a while, frustratingly....

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » July 19th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Oh, that's near Danyang. I've been there on one of those team building work outings. Lovely place, but my favourite is still Jejudo...

I hope your problems are solved quickly. I'm not keen on setting stuff up just to have it abandoned, you know. :P
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » July 19th, 2019, 9:22 pm

Circumstances are sometimes beyond our control....

Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » July 19th, 2019, 10:09 pm

This won't be my usual microphone arrangement. Please let me know if the sound quality is passable.

Surprising how hard it is to find tech help here that would be so easy to locate in Seoul. There are computer shops, but they look like they're right out of Diagon Alley: tiny holes in the wall on impossible side streets, jammed with a wild chaos of cords and computer chunks.

Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » July 19th, 2019, 11:33 pm

silverquill

Post by silverquill » July 26th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Ah, technical help!

Well, I lived on a university campus so I could tap into resources there if I needed. That was in the city of Cheonan. We were there nearly five years, and before that spent part of a year in a place that was smaller than a village southeast of Cheongju. In my Peace Corps days I live with a farm family in Jeolla Puk-do, near what is now the City of Gimje (then just a small town). Then a short time in Daejon, and then I returned for another year in Seoul teaching at Yonsei. Several trips to Japan, my first being a summer session at Sophia University.

Well, on to the recording.
Did you look at the wave form? It is nearly solid and the volume comes in at a whopping 97.6 dB. I couldn't even listen to it without amplifying it down. So, you need to correct that to get it closer to our target of 89 dB. It looks as if you were overdriving on your mike gain because it is all clipped. So, even amplifying down still leaves a lot of distortion in the recording. So, listen to the final with good headphones and see if the quality is good enough for you. It is your solo so you can decide.

The pronunciation of some of the Korean place names a pretty far off, but again that's up to you and we don't normally comment on pronunciation in standard proof listening.

So, are you in Korea, or Bangor?

And, yes, Ava, Jeju is always a favorite, but it has become so overdeveloped that it has lost a lot of its charm.

silverquill

Post by silverquill » July 26th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Oh, one more thing.

You might consider separating the Preface off into a separate section.
It would appear as 00 in the Magic Window (Ava might need to make that adjustment)
Then the chapter numbers still correspond to the section numbers in the MW.

Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » July 28th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Thanks for your comments.

I have to admit, my Korean fiancee got quite a chuckle out of your pronunciation remarks. "What is s/he talking about?" she chortled. "There are only two Korean place names in the whole section." I think she was exaggerating, but can't be sure because I didn't count... :D You have to understand that when reading old travel accounts you have to make some pronunciation judgments. It has little to do with authentic Korean pronunciation. Obviously "Ping-yang" is a ludicrous mis-rendering of 평양, and a little less obviously "Fusan" is a butchering of 부산. But that's part of the revealing quirkiness of old Western travel literature: in their arrogance, British and American travelers always mangled native place names, and it would take away from the authenticity of the text to pronounce them according to our modern understanding. For another example, it's still ridiculous that we call my native country "Japan," but it would be pretentious and obnoxious for me to insist on Westerners using にほん or にっぽん even though they could pronounce them easily.

My afore-mentioned Korean fiancee and I discussed this at some length and thought it best to preserve the absurdity of the original. The very first sentence presents the issue: Do I read "Pekin" as spelt? It would have been a ridiculous anachronism for me to pronounce it "Beijing."

Not to give away too many personal details, but since you asked, I am currently dividing my years between Korea and Maine. My base of operations and most of my readings will be done in Bangor, so I'm still "Expatriate in Bangor, Maine."

Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » July 28th, 2019, 9:55 pm

I won't be separating the Preface from Chapter 01. Often this is another judgment call; out of the 110 or so books I've recorded for LibriVox, it might be fifty-fifty, not sure. I include prefaces with first chapters when the preface is too interesting or important to leave out but way too short to be a useful section by itself.

This won't mess up section numbering; Section 02 will still be Chapter 02, and so on.

Expatriate

Post by Expatriate » July 28th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Though I do have a handy native-Korean-speaking fiancee, I don't have an equally handy tech-savvy one. So, having only learned the basic buttons to push to make these recordings, it will take me a little time to sort out the mic problems.