Complete [SOLO] A Last Diary by W. N. P. Barbellion-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

A Last Diary by W. N. P. Barbellion (1889 - 1919).
The final journal of British naturalist Bruce Frederick Cummings, spanning from March 1918 to June 1919. The diary follows on the heels of the publication of Cummings' edited collection of journal entries The Journal of a Disappointed Man, which had been received to some success. This slimmer volume contains Cummings' reflections upon the end of WWI, bittersweet reflections marked as they are by the self-knowledge that as that as a new era of peace was being ushered in across Europe, Cummings' own health was failing him. Despite his body succumbing to multiple sclerosis, Cummings remains emotionally and intellectually lucid to the last, making for both a lively historical document, but also a moving and lyrical piece of autobiography. (Adam Whybray)

• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-last-diary-by-w-n-p-barbellion/

[*]Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lastdiary00barbuoft
[*]Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

===========================================

Magic Window:

BC Admin

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Section [number] of A Last Diary by W. N. P. Barbellion. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "A Last Diary, by W. N. P. Barbellion. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of A Last Diary by W. N. P. Barbellion. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Section title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Section]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of A Last Diary, by W. N. P. Barbellion."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename lastdiary_##_barbellion_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lastdiary_01_barbellion_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

---

Previously I completed Barbellion's longer original volume of diaries The Journal of a Disappointed Man. This is his slimmer follow-up, following the year and a few months after the end of the previous volume.

As for the dedicated proof-listener, my personal preference would be Amy (alg1001) which she has agreed to do. She provided invaluable commentary and advice for the first volume and I loved working with her and believe she enjoyed the project. I proposed this to Amy back in February, but only now have the time (having come to the end of the university lecturing year until September) to dedicate to the recording.

- Sprocket / Adam :)
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Hi, Adam! I will be your MC for this. But in order to set things up, I need to have the whole project template and mainly - the code for the project. Did you fill out the template for the project here https://librivox.org/add_project ? Please do so and copy the resulting code to create your first post (this is needed for each project that is set up).

EDIT: Saw your note now. Of course, if Amy would like to MC this, I totally do not insist to be the MC. ;) But the proper project code will be needed anyway.

Kristine :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Kristine,
I set it up. Sorry for any inconvenience. We had been talking about him launching this. I should have had him tag my initials on it.
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Sure, no problem. :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Have recorded the preface by Barbellion's brother:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lastdiary_01_barbellion_128kb.mp3
Time: 57:39
Size: 52.7 mb
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
The Section 0 is for the preface. In the intro you can say 'Preface of' instead of 'Section of' for it. So it will be file 00.
I'll PL soon. Looking forward to it!
Cheers!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Ah! Okay! Thanks Amy! I'll change that when I get back home this evening :)
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

His brother comes across as a little cold, but I suspect that mostly the difference in style to how such a biographical piece by a close family member would be written today!

EDIT: Sorted file name, intro, ending and place in the grid, hopefully. Ready for checking! ^^
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
This is so well-done! And it is all so poignant. I am enjoying it immensely already. I am glad you are doing this. Barbellion would be, too, I am sure.
Cheers!
Amy
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Hi Amy,

Such kind words! Thank you! :oops: :)

I reckon I'll be able to get this one done quite fast. I feel on a roll!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lastdiary_01_barbellion_128kb.mp3
Time = 25:27
Size = 23.3 mb
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
I so wish he could have gone outside with the trees like that!
I liked hearing his thoughts on Emily Bronte. These days at the end of his life are poignant. :(
Great reading! You bring it all across so well. It is PL OK.
Cheers!
Amy
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

I found this one even more moving! Contains Barbellion's reflections on the end of the war.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lastdiary_02_barbellion_128kb.mp3
Time = 21:56
Size = 20mb

Thanks as ever,
Adam :9:
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
It was very moving. It is incredible to have this account starting all way from when he was a boy.
There is a technical issue with this file. It needs to have 44,100 hz sampling rate. I am not sure why this one doesn't since your others always have. Please adjust it and reupload.
Cheers!
Amy
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Ah, drat - that's strange... :/

Does that mean I'll have to record over again? (No worries if not!)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
You don't have to re-record. I updated it. When you change the rate it changes the speed of your voice, so I just sped it up after and it sounds fine. Please give it a listen and see if you agree.
I guess just make sure that the project rate says 44100 before you record.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lastdiary_02_barbellion_128kb.mp3
Cheers!
Amy