COMPLETE Three Stories & Ten Poems by Ernest Miller Hemingway - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Three Stories & Ten Poems by Ernest Miller Hemingway (1899 - 1961).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/three-stories-ten-poems-by-ernest-hemingway/
The author arranged for this collection of three short stories and ten poems to be printed in a small run of 300 copies in Dijon (France.) The book entered into the public domain in 2019. ( KevinS)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.499337/page/n3
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: 7pQD0EJA

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Ernest Miller Hemingway) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Hemingway

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Stories_and_Ten_Poems
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 13
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1923
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? KevinS Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Three Stories & Ten Poems. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Three Stories & Ten Poems, by Ernest Miller Hemingway. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Three Stories & Ten Poems by Ernest Miller Hemingway. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Three Stories & Ten Poems, by Ernest Miller Hemingway. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename threestoriestenpoems_##_hemingway_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. threestoriestenpoems_01_hemingway_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Ernest Miller Hemingway
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Three Stories & Ten Poems

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kevin, I've looked at your text link and I'm not happy with it.

Can't really put my finger on it, but to me it seems like a modern copy for some reason? Yes, it says 1923 on the very last page, but it's written in a way you wouldn't write latin numbers...
I'll run this past other admins to see what they think.

In any case, there's a rather obnoxious scanning error on page 12 with lots of fingers in the way. :wink: You might want to look for another edition anyway.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Availle wrote: April 30th, 2019, 4:41 pm Kevin, I've looked at your text link and I'm not happy with it.

Can't really put my finger on it, but to me it seems like a modern copy for some reason? Yes, it says 1923 on the very last page, but it's written in a way you wouldn't write latin numbers...
I'll run this past other admins to see what they think.

In any case, there's a rather obnoxious scanning error on page 12 with lots of fingers in the way. :wink: You might want to look for another edition anyway.
I understand that this text has already been approved. There was one short story already read from this collection.

Additionally, the two pages that were poorly scanned follow immediately after without the maddening fingers. Hhahah! I went crazy until I saw this to be the case.

I should add too that this first (and only edition) was printed in France after Hemingway had gone to Toronto. The editor made a real mess of it, though they say the original manuscript was not of a high quality. The punctuation is poor and I'm even facing an abbreviation of 'y. g.' in one of the stories that stands for 'young gentleman.' This story ("Out of Season") was published later in a revised form with 'y. g.' spelled out uniformly.

The book is a real piece of history for Hemingway scholars and enthusiasts.

EDIT: The thread in question is found here. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=72772&p=1546707&hilit=hemingway#p1546707
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'll keep a watch in this, and if it flies and you need a DPL, just let me know and I'll be glad to serve.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill wrote: April 30th, 2019, 10:09 pm I'll keep a watch in this, and if it flies and you need a DPL, just let me know and I'll be glad to serve.
That's so nice of you. Thank you!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

No worries, we are assured, mostly. We will host the project with the one caveat, that you understand that if this project get challenged, we will have to pull it out of the catalog. If you are willing to take that chance, then I will MC this project for you. Let me know if this condition is agreeable to you, and I will set up the MW.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

That's quite all right. I fully agree.

Does everyone understand that one of these short stories has already been recorded for LibriVox and from this same text? I really don't anticipate any difficulties. And I will most certainly appreciate all your assistance. This will be a true pleasure for me.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Yes, we are aware that there is one Hemingway short story in the catalog, and if there is a problem with this project, that one will have to be addressed as well.

OK, since we are in agreement, I am off to get your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you, Kevin! This project will be fun!

Since you are a new soloist, I have some homework for you. You will need to access the workflow system, commonly and lovingly referred to as the MW, for the first time. This document will tell you what you need to do in order to get an A on your homework. As soloist, you are in charge of your MW, which means that you are the one who puts in the section titles and pastes the links from the uploader into the correct spot. Let me know if you have any questions! Larry is an experienced DPL and BC, he will also be a huge help getting you comfortable with the MW, which really is not that hard!

As soon as I know that we are all on board the USS Hemingway, and that Kevin has access to his MW, we will move over to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

icequeen wrote: May 4th, 2019, 4:19 pm OK, your MW is ready for you, Kevin! This project will be fun!

Since you are a new soloist, I have some homework for you. You will need to access the workflow system, commonly and lovingly referred to as the MW, for the first time. This document will tell you what you need to do in order to get an A on your homework. As soloist, you are in charge of your MW, which means that you are the one who puts in the section titles and pastes the links from the uploader into the correct spot. Let me know if you have any questions! Larry is an experienced DPL and BC, he will also be a huge help getting you comfortable with the MW, which really is not that hard!

As soon as I know that we are all on board the USS Hemingway, and that Kevin has access to his MW, we will move over to Going Solo!
So good to hear! Thank you. I'll get started on my homework first thing tomorrow. (Well, there's coffee first, but maybe that goes without saying.)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

All done!

I hope, think, pray...
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

You did good! The MW looks great! You get an A+, and we are on the move to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DPL checking in.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Great! Welcome aboard Larry!
Ann