COMPLETE Three Stories & Ten Poems by Ernest Miller Hemingway - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'm marking all of these PL OK, but will make a couple of suggestions.

First, it sounds as if the intros and outros did not get the noise reduction that the body of the poems got. So, we hear the noticeable background hum, then it goes quiet, then it is back at the end. The result is not the best. I would suggest taking a noise sample from the beginning, and just run the noise reduction for the entire recording.

Second, you might want to standardize your outros. Of these, I think 8 and 9 have "end of (poem title)" and 11 has "end of section . . ." Either is probably fine, but since you use "section number" in the intro, it is probably best to use it in the outro as well. I can't remember what the previous ones were, but you might want to check them, and just be consistent.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 7:12 am I'm marking all of these PL OK, but will make a couple of suggestions.

First, it sounds as if the intros and outros did not get the noise reduction that the body of the poems got. So, we hear the noticeable background hum, then it goes quiet, then it is back at the end. The result is not the best. I would suggest taking a noise sample from the beginning, and just run the noise reduction for the entire recording.

Second, you might want to standardize your outros. Of these, I think 8 and 9 have "end of (poem title)" and 11 has "end of section . . ." Either is probably fine, but since you use "section number" in the intro, it is probably best to use it in the outro as well. I can't remember what the previous ones were, but you might want to check them, and just be consistent.
I'm having a devil of a time getting things to match. Would you object to my re-recording the poems so that I can standardize everything and make all the aural qualities similar? I would be much indebted to you if you would suffer this.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I understand the matching problem. I've got a couple of poems to patch in some corrections. Just one word, but I'll record the entire verse, since these are longer poems, so the match will be closer, or at least not as noticeable.

Sometimes I will do exactly as you propose, and just do a fresh recording. So, that is absolutely fine, and I don't mind listening to them again. :thumbs:
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 7:29 am I understand the matching problem. I've got a couple of poems to patch in some corrections. Just one word, but I'll record the entire verse, since these are longer poems, so the match will be closer, or at least not as noticeable.

Sometimes I will do exactly as you propose, and just do a fresh recording. So, that is absolutely fine, and I don't mind listening to them again. :thumbs:
Thank you! I'm going to clear up a length of time to do the whole go again.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill, I can't tell you enough how appreciative I am of this opportunity to re-record these poems. I think they are better now.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Superb!
I commend you on your second effort. :thumbs:
These flow smoothly through each poem, and the hum is down to an acceptable level.
I'm looking forward to the stories.
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill wrote: May 24th, 2019, 7:08 am I'm looking forward to the stories.
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/threestoriestenpoems_01_hemingway_128kb.mp3

12:37

I bet you thought I forgot!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

KevinS wrote: June 4th, 2019, 7:00 pm
silverquill wrote: May 24th, 2019, 7:08 am I'm looking forward to the stories.
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/threestoriestenpoems_01_hemingway_128kb.mp3

12:37

I bet you thought I forgot!
Nope, and this is PL OK.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

This is PL -- just cut off all of the extra stuff at the end of the file and leave us with 5 seconds of silence. :wink:
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill wrote: June 16th, 2019, 8:33 pm
This is PL -- just cut off all of the extra stuff at the end of the file and leave us with 5 seconds of silence. :wink:
Well, that's embarrassing...

All fixed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/threestoriestenpoems_02_hemingway_128kb.mp3

14:49
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Per request, I've PL'd the section. :)

Bravo! Great reading!

23:24 - skip in the recording right after "if her mother would let me take her out to"

Please listen to it and see what you think.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart