[COMPLETE] The Queen's Necklace by Alexandre Dumas - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

The Queen's Necklace by Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870). Translated by Unknown ( - 0)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-queens-necklace-by-alexandre-dumas/
The Queen's Necklace is historical fiction based on "The Diamond Necklace Affair", an actual scandal in the court of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette during 1784-85. The Diamond Necklace Affair contributed to the discrediting of the monarchy of Louis XVI prior to the French Revolution and additionally to Marie Antoinette being portrayed by the political pamphleteers as a thief (false) and an adulteress (possibly true). The necklace was made of 647 diamonds, of approximately 2,800 carats, and was originally made for Madame du Barry, the mistress of Louis XV. Most of the characters in The Queen's Necklace are based on real persons although in many respects Dumas's account is highly fictionalised. The backdrop is the rebellious state of the French people due in part to adverse weather, crop failures and price fixing affecting the food supply and price of bread during the 1780s and the deep indebtedness of the French government following the Seven Years War and involvement in the American Revolutionary War. This was contrasted to the extravagance of the French monarchy and the court. The Queen's Necklace is the 3rd novel in the Marie Antoinette series by Alexandre Dumas. (summary by Gail Timmerman-Vaughan)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20122
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: ZhIOYLZx

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Alexandre Dumas) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen's_Necklace
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 50
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1849 to 1850
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Historical Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: to be added before cataloguing

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Queen's Necklace. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Queen's Necklace, by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by Unknown Unknown ( - 0) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Queen's Necklace by Alexandre Dumas. Translator Unknown ( - 0) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Queen's Necklace, by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by Unknown Unknown ( - 0)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename queensnecklace_##_dumas_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. queensnecklace_01_dumas_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Alexandre Dumas
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Queen's Necklace

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise - annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by gailtv on November 4th, 2019, 12:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
instagram
#gailtv.art
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Do you have a DPL in mind? If not, I'd be happy to do it.
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks for the offer but we do have a volunteer - I'll set it up now so everyone knows :D
Done,
I'll be a proper expert on Queen's necklaces, it's not long since I catalogued the Queen of Sheba's Necklace
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

A "mint cookie" crumb this time. It's that time of year.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Might at least be a hot cross bun cookie :D
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Anne and David --

Thank you both.

Anne - thanks for setting up so quickly.

I am thinking right now that I will record the Prologue just slowly since it is so long. Other Chapters may appear before the Prologue does. The content of the Prologue is not needed for the first Chapters. It concern's Dumas's favourite villain - Cardinal Richelieu.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You could split it it if you wished? In that case it would probably be better to change the MW to start at 01 and have 01 and 02 as the prologue rather than have it 00 and 01 .

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

annise wrote: April 18th, 2019, 8:01 pm You could split it it if you wished? In that case it would probably be better to change the MW to start at 01 and have 01 and 02 as the prologue rather than have it 00 and 01 .

Anne
Hi Anne -

I think that splitting the prologue into 2 parts might be best and starting the MW at 01. It is even written as Part I and Part II.

I can't figure out how to do that for myself -- is that something that only the MC can do? Is that a lot of work for you? Don't worry about the effect on the Chapter stuff that I have put in so far - that only took a couple of minutes.

Thanks!

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's really backbreaking work for me, I have to open the workflow, and then change a 0 to 1 and a 50 sections to 51 - Oh the problems of this job :mrgreen:

Anne
And I've managed to do it , and added a section AND moved it to the right place
You don't need the numbers any more - the cataloguing page adds them, so if you take them out and change 00-preface to just Preface part 1 etc it will be perfect :D
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

annise wrote: April 19th, 2019, 2:10 pm It's really backbreaking work for me, I have to open the workflow, and then change a 0 to 1 and a 50 sections to 51 - Oh the problems of this job :mrgreen:

Anne
And I've managed to do it , and added a section AND moved it to the right place
You don't need the numbers any more - the cataloguing page adds them, so if you take them out and change 00-preface to just Preface part 1 etc it will be perfect :D
Thanks!!!
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'd have to say personally that when the chapters have a title I tend to leave the actual word Chapter out - so I'd say either "The road to Marseilles" or if I worried that it was a bit confusing when it was section 7 say "V, The road to Marseilles" . I just think it looks better on the catalogue page, and having at last started using an mp3 player with a display, long titles don't fit and I've just finished listening to one that displayed a segment from the front and one from the end and it was very hard to scroll through the book to find something I missed :D

But it is your call :D

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Anne

I will take your sage advice. Nothing is immutable until cataloguing. Do you have a view on the number of characters beyond which a title is unwieldy?

For now I can trim 7 and a space. (CHAPTER ).

I have noticed with the professionally recorded books that they don’t bother with chapter titles. Does Librivox have a policy? (As a listener I like chapter titles because they help me find where I was if I get lost)

Thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I just like the look of them in the catalogue page :D :D But like everything else in ar LV it depends. Some of them are a sort of precis of the chapter and very very very long. I don't know how most people chose to listen but I suspect it is not on PC screens.
But - in spite of what people believe, LV is about the readers not the listeners, so you can do what seems right to you especially in a solo as long as you stick to the few rules needed for the system to work.

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

I have uploaded Chapter II (Section 04) -- but there is no need to PL it out of order (unless you want of course).

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/queensnecklace_04_dumas_128kb.mp3
8:04.3, 87.7 dB

I recorded this short chapter to see if I had succeeded with my mic trouble shooting. Was substantially successful (90%?). The simple expedient was to close all open windows and reboot before recording. Got rid of the majority of the unexplained pops, cracks, fuzzes, etc. Hopefully the experiment is reproducible.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4 PL OK!