[SOLO] The Golden Bough:The Magic Art and Evolution of Kings Volume 1-leni

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
niobium

Post by niobium » March 26th, 2019, 8:32 pm

The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume 1 by James George Frazer (1854 - 1941).
The first volume in Frazer's seminal 12 volume set on anthropology and traditional systems of belief. Topics covered include extensive discussion on the belief in sympathetic and contagious magic, magical influence on the environment, magicians and kings, magicians as priests, the origin of incarnate living gods, and a lengthy essay on the origin on the king of the wood at the lake of Nemi. ( Leon Harvey)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/TheGoldenBough-Part1-TheMagicArtAndTheEvolutionOfKingsVol.1
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume I. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume I, by James George Frazer. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume I by James George Frazer. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume I, by James George Frazer. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename goldenbough1_##_frazer_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. goldenbough1_01_frazer_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: James George Frazer
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume I

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » March 27th, 2019, 3:38 pm

I once thought of starting this one as well as a group project. Nice to see someone tackling it. I will MC this one, will be right back with the window.

Edit: Ok, all set. Waiting for a DPLer around here. I am not sure if you have soloed a project before, so here is the link to the information on how to manage the window, if you need it: link. I have also tweaked the filename and other details on the first post. :)
Leni
=================

Come read about flowers and plants in Pliny's Natural History! :D

niobium

Post by niobium » March 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm

its a big job, but someone has to do it!

I also made a suggestion to gather interested people to handle either one volume at a time each, but it looks like it will be up to me until further notice, although all offers to divide up the work should be considered. I was planning to read the entire thing anyway while it exists in the reference library, and am estimating it would require about 1 year in spare time to read continuously. Just to note, this multi volume project will not include the appendix and bibliography volume, but will include the 'Aftermath' supplementary volume. Frazer also left a considerable number of side notes to identify regularly occurring themes for cross referencing to the reader, which unfortunately are not reasonable to convey in speech.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » March 29th, 2019, 4:14 am

Moving us to Going Solo. Let me know if you would like me to advertise for a DPLer. :)
Leni
=================

niobium

Post by niobium » March 29th, 2019, 4:29 pm

i can wait patiently for a Dpl, so feel free to advertise. in the meantime, Im going to complete a few sections from a previous project work

aniroo

Post by aniroo » April 2nd, 2019, 6:26 am

I'd be glad to DPL if you're still looking.

aniroo
aniroo :wink:

niobium

Post by niobium » April 2nd, 2019, 10:27 am

looks like your it aniroo. I will finish up a few remaining sections due for proof listening from a different project, and this will be the focus for a while

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » April 2nd, 2019, 6:08 pm

aniroo wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 6:26 am
I'd be glad to DPL if you're still looking.

aniroo
Great to see you, aniroo! Adding you to the window.
Leni
=================

niobium

Post by niobium » May 5th, 2019, 4:22 am

I'm still working on it. already completed a few hours of recordings and some basic editing. just making it clear I'm still around

aniroo

Post by aniroo » May 5th, 2019, 6:01 am

niobium wrote:
May 5th, 2019, 4:22 am
I'm still working on it. already completed a few hours of recordings and some basic editing. just making it clear I'm still around
:lol:

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » July 19th, 2019, 9:41 am

Hello everybody!

Is this project still going on?
Leni
=================

niobium

Post by niobium » July 21st, 2019, 11:55 pm

yes it is. I will be back at my usual desk within the next day to upload the preface section. The chapters of this book are very long and Frazer had an unusual writing habit of flowing from one topic to another with the descriptions included as a sort of side note on the page instead of a bullet point title. As I work my way though the editing and sound level adjustment, I may need to divide up some of the sections a bit further.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » July 22nd, 2019, 12:40 pm

niobium wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:55 pm
yes it is. I will be back at my usual desk within the next day to upload the preface section. The chapters of this book are very long and Frazer had an unusual writing habit of flowing from one topic to another with the descriptions included as a sort of side note on the page instead of a bullet point title. As I work my way though the editing and sound level adjustment, I may need to divide up some of the sections a bit further.
That is fine, we can add more sections as you go. Thanks!
Leni
=================

niobium

Post by niobium » July 23rd, 2019, 6:37 pm

aniroo

Post by aniroo » July 24th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Very strong start to big project. :clap: There are just a few things to edit and it will be good to go. :thumbs:

Intro.
I think you read the second intro which is a little different than the intro for the first section.

"Chapter [number] of The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume I. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
Say:
"The Golden Bough: The Magic Art and the Evolution of Kings, Volume I, by James George Frazer. [Chapter]"

The shorter intro can be read for all subsequent sections.

Volume
At about 25:40 until about 31:20 The volume increases enough to be somewhat jarring. Just select that section and chose "amplify" from menu and use a negative number to de-amplify. I think -1 should reduce it enough to not be jarring.

Outro
The Outro is missing.
At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Chapter]"
If you wish, say:

Silence

There should be 5 seconds of silence at the end of the section and yours has at least 10 seconds. Just crop 5 seconds off and you'll be good.

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing this project. The Preface whetted my appetite.

aniroo :D