[COMPLETE] The Cowardly Lion of Oz - phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The Cowardly Lion of Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson (1891 - 1976).

This project can now be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-cowardly-lion-of-oz-by-ruth-plumly-thompson/
The Cowardly Lion, always fearful, has become even more afraid than usual and is convinced that he has lost the courage the Wizard of OZ gave him many years ago. To remedy this he decides to follow the dubious advice from the Scrapwork Girl, to 'find someone who has courage and swallow him up'. Unfortunately the King of the little known country of Mudge wants him captured and added to his lion collection. Naturally new characters, all funny and fun, join in the collision of intents and purposes as only in t he magical land of OZ can they do so. Exciting, funny and fabulous this tale will enchant you with its whimsy and wit. Will our dear Cowardly Lion actually swallow someone:? Will he be captured and added to the zoo of the Mudgers? Listen and be delighted with it all works out. - ( philc)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58765
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: b134szHp
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Ruth Plumly Thompson) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Plumly_Thompson
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 18
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known):
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Cowardly Lion of Oz. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Cowardly Lion of Oz, by Ruth Plumly Thompson. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Cowardly Lion of Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Cowardly Lion of Oz, by Ruth Plumly Thompson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename cowardlylionofoz_##_thompson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. cowardlylionofoz_01_thompson_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Ruth Plumly Thompson
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Cowardly Lion of Oz

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Ooh, may I DPL this fantabulous book?
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
lomond

Post by lomond »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 7:37 pm Ooh, may I DPL this fantabulous book?
Greetings -

Thank you, lymiewithpurpose.

I was about to give in to temptations and volunteer! :roll: :roll:

Too many things on my plate as it is.

Lomond
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 7:37 pm Ooh, may I DPL this fantabulous book?
Yes you may. I would be pleased since it is indeed fantabulous as you say. :thumbs:

I am working on a few projects now and this will be the fun one so progress will be slow but steady. Hold on to your flying horses!!!!

Wow, that was fast!
EDIT: I hope your purpose includes the thrilling adventures in the fairy land of Oz.
lymiewithpurpose

lomond wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 7:40 pm
Greetings -

Thank you, lymiewithpurpose.

I was about to give in to temptations and volunteer! :roll: :roll:

Too many things on my plate as it is.

Lomond
Ha ha I think I am a bit overfull too but I could not resist. If you ever want to jump in and listen, feel free :D.
philchenevert wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 7:44 pm
Yes you may. I would be pleased since it is indeed fantabulous as you say. :thumbs:

I am working on a few projects now and this will be the fun one so progress will be slow but steady. Hold on to your flying horses!!!!
Sounds good, like I mentioned above I'm also pretty full, so no worries. Will look forward to listening :D!
Campbell
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The first 3 chapters of this epic are in themagic window :thumbs:
lymiewithpurpose

philchenevert wrote: April 14th, 2019, 6:27 pm The first 3 chapters of this epic are in themagic window :thumbs:
Woo hoo! Only got through 1 chapter tonight, but it was beautifully read. Tons of energy! All I can say is poor lion(s)! That half lion must be having a difficult time :shock:
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Chapters 2-5 are OK, but I can not figure out these chapter endings! They seem to end at the most random times. I guess it just adds to the confusion of the story :D
Campbell
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 15th, 2019, 8:38 pm Chapters 2-5 are OK, but I can not figure out these chapter endings! They seem to end at the most random times. I guess it just adds to the confusion of the story :D
Ha! This is the way Frank Baum wrote the original 14 books, leaving either a cliff hanger or something funny at the end of chapters to make you wonder and quickly move on to the next chapter to see what happens next of if our heroes get out of the difficulty. You know they are going to be OK but the trap or problem will require brains or bravery to get out of. I love it.

Chapter seven is in the magic window. The silliness continues! Image
lymiewithpurpose

philchenevert wrote: April 16th, 2019, 10:19 am
lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 15th, 2019, 8:38 pm Chapters 2-5 are OK, but I can not figure out these chapter endings! They seem to end at the most random times. I guess it just adds to the confusion of the story :D
Ha! This is the way Frank Baum wrote the original 14 books, leaving either a cliff hanger or something funny at the end of chapters to make you wonder and quickly move on to the next chapter to see what happens next of if our heroes get out of the difficulty. You know they are going to be OK but the trap or problem will require brains or bravery to get out of. I love it.

Chapter seven is in the magic window. The silliness continues! Image
True, but they just seem a bit jerky to me. There are ways to have cliff hangers that are still smooth and continuous, I just feel a bit shocked whenever one ends. It's still fun though!

Chapter 7 is ok... but you put it in the chapter 6 spot. And now I'm wondering what happened in Chapter 6 to set this up!
Campbell
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Whoops! I will fix that wrong chapter thingie.
EDIT: OK I think I've put the right chapter into the right slot. Now you can see what happened before 7...... :wink:
lymiewithpurpose

philchenevert wrote: April 16th, 2019, 6:50 pm Whoops! I will fix that wrong chapter thingie.
EDIT: OK I think I've put the right chapter into the right slot. Now you can see what happened before 7...... :wink:
I have now figured it out! Makes so much sense. Man, Notta seems to be getting himself into a ton of trouble now! And poor lion! 6 and 8 are OK now. It seems like you may have put a second Chapter 8 into the Chapter 9 section though....
Campbell
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Holy Batman! what is going on with me? Am I just as confused as these Oz creatures? :shock:
lymiewithpurpose

philchenevert wrote: April 17th, 2019, 8:08 pm Holy Batman! what is going on with me? Am I just as confused as these Oz creatures? :shock:
Maybe the book is confusing you... instead of transporting you to a different world, it is just confusing your brain. Since I am not reading it I do not suffer the effects :lol:
Campbell
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 17th, 2019, 8:12 pm
philchenevert wrote: April 17th, 2019, 8:08 pm Holy Batman! what is going on with me? Am I just as confused as these Oz creatures? :shock:
Maybe the book is confusing you... instead of transporting you to a different world, it is just confusing your brain. Since I am not reading it I do not suffer the effects :lol:
Maybe so. In any case that is twice I've put the wrong file into the little box. It could be my eyesight also. In any case chapter 9 is finally ensconced in it's proper berth. .... hopefully!