[COMPLETE] Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/leaves-of-grass-by-walt-whitman-2/
In honour of Walt Whitman's 200th birthday (31 May 2019) we bring you a solo recording of his seminal work Leaves of Grass.
Originally published in 1955, the work started as a collection of 12 unnamed poems. However, Whitman spent most of his life writing and re-writing Leaves of Grass, resulting in many different editions published throughout his life. The final collection, which is recorded here, is a compilation of about 400 poems separated into 35 books.

This book is notable for its discussion of delight in sensual pleasures, and exalting the body and the material world. At the time, such candid displays were considered highly immoral, which led to reviews considering it "offensive", "obscene", "a mass of stupid filth", or suggesting it should have been burned after writing. Leaves of Grass even became banned in various locations, which only led to increased sales, with some printings even selling out on the first day. To this day, the work's legacy remains strong, and is one of the most important collections of American poetry.

Among some of the best known poems contained in this work are "O captain! My captain!", "I sing the body electric", and "Song of Myself".

( Foon)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1322
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Book [number] of Leaves of Grass. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Book [number] of Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename leavesofgrass_##_whitman_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. leavesofgrass_01_whitman_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Foon on May 29th, 2019, 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Foon

Post by Foon »

I know we're not supposed to start new projects during cleanup month, but since Chuck pointed out that Walt Whitman's 200th birthday is coming up (May 31), I wanted to get started on this sooner rather than later. I realise it's an absolutely massive project, so while I would LIKE to finish it before then, I'm not going to pressure myself too much if it turns out I'm being too optimistic about the time frame.
I also realise we already have a group version in the catalogue from 2006, but with this being such an important work, I thought it was time to give it a second voice.

For a prospective DPL, the only thing I ask is that in the unlikely event that I am able to record it all in the next three months, the DPL will help me finish on time for his 200th birthday with some swift PL towards the end; I don't care how long it takes to PL throughout the rest of the project at all, I just don't want PL standing in the way of meeting that deadline if I can make it. :)
Another thing for a prospective DPL: I am always happy with any kind of feedback you might have. I LOVE PL notes, because it means I get to improve something that otherwise would have gone unnoticed by me. Especially welcome are comments about pronunciation. It's absolutely not required for anyone to do extra work (level of PL is "standard" for this project), but if you're into being extra critical, eh, come aboard. ;)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Whoa Foon!

Massive is right! ... that other version runs over 19 hours!

I can't sign up for DPL, but if you find your DPL is getting behind, or even someone wants to co-DPL, I'd be happy to help out where I can. :D
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Oh gosh, I feel full on DPLing already, but I think I can handle this one. As far as speed goes, I generally can PL within the day it is uploaded (unless it is uploaded late at night). This looks so awesome! And Nemo, if you ever wanted to PL as well that would be fine by me :D
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Haha! I was just about to volunteer too, but it looks like you're already being bombarded with DPLs. :lol:
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Foon

Post by Foon »

Haha guys, that's wonderful! Thanks for all your offers, I'm flattered! :D
I'm happy with anyone who wants to listen, I'm also fine if someone wants to stick around for a little while and bow out when they're fed up/busy/whatever. And having multiple people PL works for me too. Although only one can have access to the MW if I'm not mistaken.
I'm just happy that people are excited by this project! :D

Readers needed:
lymiewithpurpose

Ha ha it’s gonna be a group project but instead of multiple readers multiple Plers. It seems fun!
Campbell
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Foon,
I'd be happy to MC this for you.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Foon,
I can give 2 people access to the MW, one as a DPL and one as an "alt BC". Please just let me know who you would like access granted to.
MaryAnn
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you MaryAnn!

It's late here, so I'll set up the MW tomorrow.

As for who to put in, well, it's all fine with me :D Nemo and Campbell, are you guys up for PLing together? It sounds like a fun idea, after all, the more the merrier! :D

I've sneakily started recording already, so I should have the first section(s) up before the weekend. I'm totally going to do them out of order, by the way. :mrgreen:

Readers needed:
lymiewithpurpose

I am fine with that! And Chuck, if you wanted to PL too and if it's ok by the others, we could update the MW for you :D
Campbell
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Go ahead and list Campbell as DPL and if you are loading them faster than she can DPL (although she is a whiz from what I have seen!), I'll step in and help out!

If you want to give me access to the MW as well to save time, I will update there also.

Thnx!
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
lymiewithpurpose

NemoR wrote: March 6th, 2019, 3:05 pm Go ahead and list Campbell as DPL and if you are loading them faster than she can DPL (although she is a whiz from what I have seen!), I'll step in and help out!

If you want to give me access to the MW as well to save time, I will update there also.

Thnx!
Ha ha, I am on here a lot. I don't want to hog the PLing though, I am more than happy to let you guys listen too (it is a fun project).
Campbell
Foon

Post by Foon »

Well, I gotta get crackin' then, so everyone who wants to can listen once it's all done! Time for some sleep so I can take advantage of the early morning peace and quiet tomorrow! :mrgreen:
I'm hyped!

Readers needed:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, MW access set up for Campbell and Nemo.

MaryAnn