[Complete] D'Artagnan Romances V3, P1: Bragelonne - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

The d'Artagnan Romances, Vol 3, Part 1: The Vicomte de Bragelonne: Ten Years Later by Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870). Translated by William Robson (1785 - 1863)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-dartagnan-romances-vol-3-part-1-the-vicomte-de-bragelonne-ten-years-later-by-alexandre-dumas/

Volume 3 of The d'Artagnan Romances is divided into three parts. The first begins in 1660, ten years after Volume 2, with d’Artagnan as Lieutenant of the King’s Musketeers. In this post, he is very near to achieving his dream (becoming Captain) and even nearer to his King, being young Louis XIV’s personal guard. Seeing first-hand how powerless the child King was, d’Artagnan resigns his illustrious, but dull, post to turn his sharp wit and sword toward another ambitious aim: restoration of the English monarchy. To the joy of France, Cardinal Mazarin dies, leaving a power vacuum that pulls at the ill-fated ambitions of the rich and powerful, Nicolas Fouquet. To combat Fouquet’s ambitions and wrench the nation back from the brink of bankruptcy, young Louis XIV takes the Cardinal’s dying advice and leagues with the economic and sociopolitical reformist, Jean-Baptiste Colbert. Unfortunately, “The Inseparables” again find each other on different sides of the power struggle: Aramis and Porthos with Fouquet, but d’Artagnan and Athos with the King and Colbert. As d’Artagnan advises King Louis XIV, “The reign of Mazarin is over, but that of the financiers is begun. They have the money; your majesty will not often see much of it. To live under the paw of these hungry wolves is hard.” (jvanstan)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1258/
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Alexandre Dumas) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vicomte_of_Bragelonne:_Ten_Years_Later#Part_One:_The_Vicomte_of_Bragelonne_(Chapters_1–93)
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 104
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1850
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Historical Fiction; Suspense, Espionage, Political & Thrillers; War & Military Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Athos, Aramis, Porthos, cardinal mazarin, queen anne of austria, fronde, Louis XIV, jean-baptiste colbert, charles ii of england, belle-ile-en-mer, nicholas fouquet

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The d'Artagnan Romances, Volume 3, Part 1: Ten Years Later. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The d'Artagnan Romances, Volume 3, Part 1: Ten Years Later, by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by William Robson [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The d'Artagnan Romances, Volume 3, Part 1 by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by William Robson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The d'Artagnan Romances, Volume 3, Part 1: Ten Years Later, by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by William Robson. Thank you for listening!"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename dartagnan03part1_###_dumas_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. dartagnan03part1_01_dumas_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Alexandre Dumas
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The d'Artagnan Romances, Vol 3, Part 1: The Vicomte de Bragelonne: Ten Years Later

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Patty Marie has volunteered to DPL this project - thanks Patty Marie! :D
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

:) Bookmarked and waiting.
Pattymarie
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set. Just a note: as there are over 100 sections, please be sure to use the three digit format in file names (001 etc) to keep everything in the right order.
Enjoy.

Might as well move to Going Solo 8-)
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Thanks, Lynne and Patty Marie!

I just finished draft recordings of the first 15 sections. It reaches a nice point here - no cliff hangers on this break, but it does start off with a slightly depressing note :/

Happy St Patty's Day! Savannah GA is crazy every St Patty's weekend, so I've had fun watching all the insanity (from a safe distance, gardening and librivoxing)!

Hope all is well,
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 1 is PL OK. I'll be chipping away at the others a little more slowly than usual while visiting my parents.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 2, 3 and 4 are PL OK.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 5 and 6 are PL OK.

Section 7 PL NOTES: The intro says "chapter 6" instead of "chapter 7."

Sections 8 through 12 are PL OK.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 13, 14 and 15 are PL OK.
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Thanks, Patty Marie!

I've been slow in getting to the next round of recordings... this has been a crazy spring semester! Anyhow, I now have ten more drafts and I fixed the intro for chapter 7 :) I hope to be able to steadily onward!

All the best,
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Got them all and tomorrow's listening lined up. :)
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 16 through 25 are PL OK. I'll mark them in the MW after Easter.
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Thanks, Patty Marie! Hope you had a wonderful Easter :)

My semester teaching responsibilities have officially ended this week! :clap: Time for a librivoxing/d'Artagnan summer :9:

New draft recordings are up and ready for PL - they cover the rest of the English adventure.

All the best,
John
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Got them. Looks like a D'Artagnan week ahead.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 26 through 37 are PL OK. I'm going to have a marathon session marking them and the previous batch in the MW but not tonight. :roll:
Pattymarie
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Awesome, Patty Marie! I've added 10 more sections :) We're really moving on this!

Not psyched about the next one (Valliere), I remember it being a lot of court intrigue (and not the kind with sword fights or witty geopolitical actions) :shock: But it's coming nearer... and then the Finale (Iron Mask)!

Hope the summer is treating you well!
John