[COMPLETE] Five Continental Op Stories by Dashiell Hammett

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Five Continental Op Stories by Dashiell Hammett (1894 - 1961).

This project is now in the catalogue. All audio files can be found on our catalogue page:
https://librivox.org/five-continental-op-stories-by-dashiell-hammett/

Before Sam Spade chased the black bird in The Maltese Falcon and Nick and Nora Charles stirred their first martinis in The Thin Man, the Continental Op walked early twentieth century San Francisco’s mean streets for the Continental Detective Agency. Dashiell Hammett used his own experiences as a Pinkerton operative to lend realistic detail to this creation. These first five stories were published in Black Mask magazine in 1923. ( Winston Tharp)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/FiveContinentalOpStoriesByDashiellHammett
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

==========================================
    Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction
    Keywords that describe the book: Detective, Mystery, San Francisco, hard-boiled, 1923, dashiell hammett, black mask, pulp magazine, continental op
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Five Continental Op Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Five Continental Op Stories, by Dashiell Hammett. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Five Continental Op Stories by Dashiell Hammett. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Five Continental Op Stories, by Dashiell Hammett. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename fivecontinentalopstories_##_hammett_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. fivecontinentalopstories_01_hammett_128kb.mp3)
  • ID3 V2 tags are not necessary.
    Enter section/chapter titles in the MW. Author and book title will be set automatically during cataloguing.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Darvinia
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by k5hsj on April 14th, 2019, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're missing the top half of your post. :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

:oops:
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Hi Winston,

I would like to MC this for you. I will set it up later after my workout!
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Hi Bev,

It's been a long time! I still have fond memories of the Frost pieces we did together. :D Glad to see you've joined the Admin team--we need good people to keep us up and running. Thanks for taking on this project for me. Hope the winter isn't too bad up your way.

Best regards,

Winston
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

:) I remember those well. I think our voices were particularly well-suited to pair up for those.

You're ready to go. I removed the info on ID3 V2 tags from the first post as it's no longer necessary. As long as you enter the titles in each section of the MW the rest is auto-magically done at cataloguing.

I put the ~ at the beginning of the subject line to indicate we need a proof-listener. If you have someone in mind, let me know, I'll add them and remove the tilde. I'll leave this in the Launch Pad for a day or two.

I encountered a couple of gremlins as I was setting this up. Weird things changed that I can't explain. I think it is all good now but if I've missed something or messed something up, or you need something different let me know.

Weather is freezing!!!!!! Lots of snow too. I'll be glad when spring arrives.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

If you don't have a prooflistener yet, or one in mind, I volunteer! I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of Hammett in the public domain, but thought it was a few years yet...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks, Colleen. Welcome aboard! The novels are a few years away yet, but I may not still have a voice left to read with by then, so I'm going to try to plug away at the Continental Op stories from Black Mask in the meantime. :D Section one is up and awaiting your ears.

Bev, I guess we can de-tilde the title and move to Going Solo!

Winston
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Excellent! I will get on that later today! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Colleen McMahon

Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Your wish .... :D

Thanks Colleen. DPL added, de-tilded and moved!
Bev

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 1 is PL OK!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Section 2 is up, Colleen. Now I can go do my taxes! :)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 2 is PL OK! Hope your taxes weren't too rough...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Taxes done, Section 3 is up. Life is good! :D
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Section 4 is up, Colleen. Four down and one to go! :D