(Complete) Memories of Old Montana by Con Price - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
garybclayton
Posts: 120
Joined: February 19th, 2018, 9:06 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by garybclayton » February 12th, 2019, 8:19 am

Section 3 is ready for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/memoriesofoldmontana_03_price_128kb.mp3

11:35 minutes

Gary

aniroo
Posts: 1019
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » February 12th, 2019, 9:29 am

Sections 1, 2, and 3 are PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

aniroo

These are a lot of fun to listen to. I live South of Miles City and drive by Mizpah creek when we "go to town."
aniroo

garybclayton
Posts: 120
Joined: February 19th, 2018, 9:06 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by garybclayton » February 12th, 2019, 11:29 am

aniroo

These are a lot of fun to listen to. I live South of Miles City and drive by Mizpah creek when we "go to town."
Hi, aniroo,
I hope you find all of the sections fun. I was looking for something in Gutenberg to do for my first solo recording and stumbled across this and thought "I have to do it!" Sort of reminds me of when I was a kid and we always did an extended car trip from the East Coast each year to where my father's relatives lived (Ft Worth to Amarillo to much of Oklahoma). There was always a lot of sitting around after dinner and listening to tales of the crazy things that each of my relatives did and what life was like before electricity and cars (my father and his sisters rode to school on horseback). So doing this just feels very natural to me.

You truly live in Big Sky Country. I've never been east of Bozeman, but boy, what a beautiful state.

Gary

PS. my goal is to do 3 sections a week.

garybclayton
Posts: 120
Joined: February 19th, 2018, 9:06 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by garybclayton » February 13th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Sections 4 and 5 are ready for review

Gary

aniroo
Posts: 1019
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » February 14th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Sections 4 and 5 are PL OK :clap: :clap:

I gotta say that it was pretty upsetting the way he treated that child's grave. I know that kind of attitude was prevalent in those days. The saddest thing is that many people still show that kind of disrespect to other cultures.

I've been to Bozeman, of course, but you understand that Montana has two distinct sides. The mountainous west and the prairies of the east. Kinda the loggers vs. the coal miners. :)


My husband, who listens in, is very impressed by your reading. He thinks you could go pro and sell audible versions of Louis L'Amour. Not that he's read any Louis L'Amour. :)


Thanks,
aniroo
aniroo

garybclayton
Posts: 120
Joined: February 19th, 2018, 9:06 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by garybclayton » February 19th, 2019, 9:03 am

Sections 6 and 7 are ready for review.

I think I've read all of Louis L'Amour's work. Love it! And I really appreciate the complement. I do hope to go Pro before too long, but I think I still have some significant learning to do and I can't think of a better place to try things out than Librivox. Learning Ally is less than an hour from us and I may do some work with them at some point, but I like the freedom here. I have recently started exploring ACX University, looks like there a lot of good hints in their material.

I feel like I am learning some with every chapter in this book, as I attempt ( and I do mean attempt) to keep the same accent, rate and cadence going. I go back and check previous chapters and get pretty disappointed at times, sometimes re-record some of the text. But mostly keep moving ahead, attempting to do better in the next chapter.

I understand what you are saying about the two sides of Montana. I've seen the two sides of Wyoming, Colorado, Oregon and Washington so I can mostly imagine, although I am sure your area is uniquely wonderful in its own way. When I was 8 years old, my father's family had a reunion in the metropolis of Ohio City, Colorado (general store with half a dozen rough cabins to rent plus a few prospector shacks). I got to see a working ranch on the plains of Colorado (wartime friend of my father's) before crossing the continental divide on a dirt road to Ohio City. On the way, we picked up my cousin who was attending the Colorado School of Mines (12 years older than me) and he spent most of the reunion time exploring the abandoned mines around Ohio City while the older men were fishing and the women were supervising the kids and the cabins, although there was a little quilting going on. Hmmm, very traditional times. :)

Coal miners... Now you are making me think. I know we spent a couple of days at a motel in Montana next to an open pit. Can't remember where.

aniroo
Posts: 1019
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » February 19th, 2019, 4:50 pm

garybclayton wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 9:03 am
Sections 6 and 7 are ready for review.

I think I've read all of Louis L'Amour's work. Love it! And I really appreciate the complement. I do hope to go Pro before too long, but I think I still have some significant learning to do and I can't think of a better place to try things out than Librivox. Learning Ally is less than an hour from us and I may do some work with them at some point, but I like the freedom here. I have recently started exploring ACX University, looks like there a lot of good hints in their material.

I feel like I am learning some with every chapter in this book, as I attempt ( and I do mean attempt) to keep the same accent, rate and cadence going. I go back and check previous chapters and get pretty disappointed at times, sometimes re-record some of the text. But mostly keep moving ahead, attempting to do better in the next chapter.

I understand what you are saying about the two sides of Montana. I've seen the two sides of Wyoming, Colorado, Oregon and Washington so I can mostly imagine, although I am sure your area is uniquely wonderful in its own way. When I was 8 years old, my father's family had a reunion in the metropolis of Ohio City, Colorado (general store with half a dozen rough cabins to rent plus a few prospector shacks). I got to see a working ranch on the plains of Colorado (wartime friend of my father's) before crossing the continental divide on a dirt road to Ohio City. On the way, we picked up my cousin who was attending the Colorado School of Mines (12 years older than me) and he spent most of the reunion time exploring the abandoned mines around Ohio City while the older men were fishing and the women were supervising the kids and the cabins, although there was a little quilting going on. Hmmm, very traditional times. :)

Coal miners... Now you are making me think. I know we spent a couple of days at a motel in Montana next to an open pit. Can't remember where.

Sections 6 and 7 PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap:

Open pit mines in western/central Montana would be copper mines in Anaconda or Butte or a big open pit colmine near Colstrip. That power plant is being shut down in the next couple of years. The pollution is pretty bad. :(

aniroo
aniroo

garybclayton
Posts: 120
Joined: February 19th, 2018, 9:06 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by garybclayton » February 20th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Sections 8 and 9 are ready for review.
aniroo wrote:
Open pit mines in western/central Montana would be copper mines in Anaconda or Butte or a big open pit colmine near Colstrip. That power plant is being shut down in the next couple of years. The pollution is pretty bad.

Must have been a copper mine that I was near. Going to have to check my records. The pollution is sad. I hate to see people lose jobs because of it but something does need to happen to protect us all. The last time I was down in the Four Corners area, the pollution was so bad that you could hardly see the far side wall of the Grand Canyon.

Gary

aniroo
Posts: 1019
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » February 21st, 2019, 1:04 pm

Section 8 is PL OK :thumbs:

SEction 9 is a copy of section 8, same chapter. I hope you have section 9 somewhere, just upload it for me.


Thanks,
aniroo
aniroo

aniroo
Posts: 1019
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » February 21st, 2019, 1:06 pm

Section 8 is PL OK :thumbs:

SEction 9 is a copy of section 8, same chapter. I hope you have section 9 somewhere, just upload it for me.


Thanks,
aniroo
aniroo

garybclayton
Posts: 120
Joined: February 19th, 2018, 9:06 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by garybclayton » February 22nd, 2019, 9:47 am

aniroo » Yesterday, 3:06 pm
Section 8 is PL OK

SEction 9 is a copy of section 8, same chapter. I hope you have section 9 somewhere, just upload it for me.
Yeesh! Oh well, Sections 9 and 10 are now ready for review.


I save everything, backup twice to different drives/cards. Yesterday, I was checking a few of my past recordings from the start of my Librivox journey. Kind of embarrassing to listen to now. :(

But that is the process of personal growth.

Gary

aniroo
Posts: 1019
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » February 22nd, 2019, 4:14 pm

garybclayton wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 9:47 am
aniroo » Yesterday, 3:06 pm
Section 8 is PL OK

SEction 9 is a copy of section 8, same chapter. I hope you have section 9 somewhere, just upload it for me.
Yeesh! Oh well, Sections 9 and 10 are now ready for review.


I save everything, backup twice to different drives/cards. Yesterday, I was checking a few of my past recordings from the start of my Librivox journey. Kind of embarrassing to listen to now. :(

But that is the process of personal growth.

Gary

Section 9, PL OK :thumbs: :clap:


SEction 10 PL NOte The OUTRo is missing from Section 10. It's just "end of chapter (or section) 10.
aniroo

garybclayton
Posts: 120
Joined: February 19th, 2018, 9:06 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by garybclayton » February 23rd, 2019, 12:30 pm

aniroo wrote:

SEction 10 PL NOte The OUTRo is missing from Section 10. It's just "end of chapter (or section) 10.
Well, let's see how I can screw it up this time! Sections 10 (fixed), 11 and 12 are ready for review.

Gary

aniroo
Posts: 1019
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » February 24th, 2019, 12:31 pm

garybclayton wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 12:30 pm
aniroo wrote:

SEction 10 PL NOte The OUTRo is missing from Section 10. It's just "end of chapter (or section) 10.
Well, let's see how I can screw it up this time! Sections 10 (fixed), 11 and 12 are ready for review.

Gary
SEctions 10, 11, 12 PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

PS IF you didn't "screw up" once in a while, I'd be out of a job. :wink:

aniroo
aniroo

garybclayton
Posts: 120
Joined: February 19th, 2018, 9:06 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by garybclayton » February 25th, 2019, 11:41 am

Section 13 is ready for review
PS IF you didn't "screw up" once in a while, I'd be out of a job.

aniroo
Well, you will not have to worry about that while I am around. :D

Gary

BTW, I am wondering if I am narrating too quickly on some of the chapters. If you feel like I should slow down, please let me know. I know I have hit over 160 words/minute on two chapters and I am not going to redo them but I think I should strive for a bit below 150. My rate tends to go up as I become enthusiastic about what I am reading. Just like a thirsty horse that hears or smells a creek.

Post Reply