COMPLETE[SOLO] The Life of Thomas, Lord Cochrane: Completing the "Autobiography of a seaman". Vol2-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: October 26th, 2019, 6:12 am In a surprising twist, I was home sick on Friday, and so I managed to get quite a bit done.

Chapter 6:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_06_bourne_128kb.mp3
40:43

This brings us to the end of Cochrane's military career, aside from brief stint in Jamaica. Hopefully that means I'll have fewer Greek names to fall over.

The odd thing is that the source document uses Grosse and Gosse interchangeably for one guy. I've tried to follow what it says on the page. In hindsight that might have been a mistake, but the policy is read "as is", so...
PL OK. I hope you are still safe from the fires. It seems as if the whole of Eastern Australia is alight or under a heavy smoke haze.

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Take your time...

Are you safe from the fires? I'm fine, but one of my wife's aunts has been evacuated. She's in NSW.
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: November 12th, 2019, 6:28 am Take your time...

Are you safe from the fires? I'm fine, but one of my wife's aunts has been evacuated. She's in NSW.
Good. I hope nobody's suffering from inhaling all the smoke. I'm safe.

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2 wrote: November 12th, 2019, 7:45 pm
Timothy Ferguson wrote: November 12th, 2019, 6:28 am Take your time...

Good. I hope nobody's suffering from inhaling all the smoke. I'm safe.

Best,

Barbara
My son had a day off kindy because he had some conjunctivitis. It sounds worse than it was: basically he played Minecraft all day and raided the fridge, so he was a happy little fellow.
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 1:04 am Ch 23
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_07_bourne_128kb.mp3
27:59

We are moving toward the end now...
OK.

Best,

Barbara

But I think you might have missed the PL note for Section 5:

PL note: at 1:54 missing words:
"on the plea that they had no more than was needed for their lemon-gardens."
Timothy Ferguson

Oh, ta!
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: November 25th, 2019, 6:42 am Section 5 with spot repair:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_05_bourne_128kb.mp3
35:04
Seamless. PL OK.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 1:04 am Ch 23
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_07_bourne_128kb.mp3
27:59

We are moving toward the end now...
See PL note.

That was a great chapter. You can see how Patrick O'Brian mined Cochrane's career in the Speedy and the Stock Exchange Fraud accusations for Jack Aubrey.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

PL OK. I read a novel years ago about the First Opium War and how the Royal Navy steamships dominated the Chinese war junks. That was in 1842. Oh, and Tom Petrie (whose Reminiscences are being recorded for Librivox) came here in the steamer James Watt in 1837 (though it didn't attempt the river, and the family disembarked at Dunwich).

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

Early monthly checkin.

I am still interested in doing this. I had a reminder from Facebook the other day which flagged for me that I started the book before this one ("Autobiography of a Seaman") nine years ago, so in an odd spurt of zeal I have done the raw recording for all of the remaining chapters. The editing is likely to take me some time, particularly because of Christmas, so please don't worry that I'm going to suddenly drop seven chapters on you. 8) Also, the Appendix is long and I'm sure I've made a hash of a naval title in there (is the M for Monsieur or Master? I'll look it up.)

Even when I have done it, please don't feel rushed. As Facebook reminds me, it's taken 9 years to get this far, so it might as well take a few more months. 8)
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: December 15th, 2019, 5:22 am Early monthly checkin.

I am still interested in doing this. I had a reminder from Facebook the other day which flagged for me that I started the book before this one ("Autobiography of a Seaman") nine years ago, so in an odd spurt of zeal I have done the raw recording for all of the remaining chapters. The editing is likely to take me some time, particularly because of Christmas, so please don't worry that I'm going to suddenly drop seven chapters on you. 8) Also, the Appendix is long and I'm sure I've made a hash of a naval title in there (is the M for Monsieur or Master? I'll look it up.)

Even when I have done it, please don't feel rushed. As Facebook reminds me, it's taken 9 years to get this far, so it might as well take a few more months. 8)
Thank you Timothy. Congratulations on your heroic efforts. I'll proof listen at my leisure :D

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson