COMPLETE[SOLO] The Life of Thomas, Lord Cochrane: Completing the "Autobiography of a seaman". Vol2-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

The Life of Thomas, Lord Cochrane, Tenth Earl of Dundonald : Completing the "Autobiography of a seaman". Volume 2 by Henry Richard Fox Bourne (1837 - 1909) and others. by Henry Richard Fox Bourne (1837 - 1908).

Lord Cochrane was a Napoleonic-era sea captain, whose adventures were the source material for many popular series of naval fiction. He started to write a biography but passed away after completing only two volumes. This work completes his "Autobiography of a Seaman". In this volume, Cochrane aids the Greeks against their Ottoman overlords, joins the House of Lords, gets his knighthood back and re-enters the Royal Navy. (Timothy)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-life-of-thomas-lord-cochrane-tenth-earl-of-dundonald-vol-2-by-henry-richard-fox-bourne/

• Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26067
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Life of Thomas, Lord Cochrane, Tenth Earl of Dundonald : Completing the "Autobiography of a seaman". Volume 2 by Henry Richard Fox Bourne (1837 - 1909) and others. . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Life of Thomas, Lord Cochrane, Tenth Earl of Dundonald : Completing the "Autobiography of a seaman". Volume 2 by Henry Richard Fox Bourne (1837 - 1909) and others. , by Henry Richard Fox Bourne. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Life of Thomas, Lord Cochrane, Tenth Earl of Dundonald : Completing the "Autobiography of a seaman". Volume 2 by Henry Richard Fox Bourne (1837 - 1909) and others. by Henry Richard Fox Bourne. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Life of Thomas, Lord Cochrane, Tenth Earl of Dundonald : Completing the "Autobiography of a seaman". Volume 2 by Henry Richard Fox Bourne (1837 - 1909) and others. , by Henry Richard Fox Bourne. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_##_bourne_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_01_bourne_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Timothy Ferguson on January 8th, 2020, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
Timothy Ferguson

Hi!

The excellent and awesome Barbara Baker (barbara2), who was DPL on volume one of this, has volunteered to DPL this second volume!
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Timothy,
I will MC this for you. It is all set up now so I'll move you to going solo.
Cheers,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Timothy Ferguson

This is my monthly checkin where I confirm I'm still interested in this. Sorry for the delay in kicking off.

Timothy
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thanks for that.
Cheers!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi :) What a coincidence. I'm in the middle of the recording of a book about the South American struggle for independence where Cochrane, as you may know, played a significant role. What a character :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Timothy Ferguson

Piotrek81 wrote: April 1st, 2019, 9:21 am Hi :) What a coincidence. I'm in the middle of the recording of a book about the South American struggle for independence where Cochrane, as you may know, played a significant role. What a character :)
Which book? I'd like to have a look.

Cochrane covers that part of his life in his own book (Reminiscences) and his secretary and son covered it in the earlier volume of this book, so if you want hs side of things, it's already up. In this second book he goes off to Greece for a bit, then Russia, then Canada and Jamaica.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

It's this one: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/48856/48856-h/48856-h.htm Cochrane is brought to the stage in chapter XX and is last mentioned, after his falling out with San Martin, in chapter XXXIV.
Btw the article about him in Wikipedia suggests a common motiff in all his escapades, of him being piqued over not being appreciated/sufficiently financially rewarded. Any such remarks in the volumes you've recorded?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Timothy Ferguson

Piotrek81 wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 10:09 am Btw the article about him in Wikipedia suggests a common motiff in all his escapades, of him being piqued over not being appreciated/sufficiently financially rewarded. Any such remarks in the volumes you've recorded?
It's basically the moral of his entire two volume Autobiography. He wants to set the record straight, which is basically him getting the last word in on everyone who he thinks has wronged him in the last seventy years. 8)

He's terribly petulant, and loves petty revenges. I love it so much!
Timothy Ferguson

I think I may have set this up wrong.

This book is the second volume, so should the filname for the first section be

lifeofthomaslordcochrane_01_bourne_128kb.mp3 as above or
lifeofthomaslordcochrane_17_bourne_128kb.mp3 based on the chapter number or
lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_01_bourne_128kb.mp3 to make it different from volume 1 section 1?
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Timothy
I can change them during the cataloging process. If you name the next ones in that format, I can update the others to match them then. I updated the opening post for that. Please take a look at it to make sure I have it right.
Cheers,
Amy
Timothy Ferguson

Hi!

Finally started!

Chapter 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_01_bourne_128kb.mp3
35:56

The next chapter is the longest in the book, so it may take me two or three sessions to record it and cut it down.
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 5:14 am Hi!

Finally started!

Chapter 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_01_bourne_128kb.mp3

The next chapter is the longest in the book, so it may take me two or three sessions to record it and cut it down.
Well, Timothy, I'm rarin' to go but I didn't get a notification....and I'll be away for about a week.

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2 wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 6:12 am
Timothy Ferguson wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 5:14 am Hi!

Finally started!

Chapter 1

Well, Timothy, I'm rarin' to go but I didn't get a notification....and I'll be away for about a week.

Best,

Barbara
Is there something I'm meant to have done to make the notification happen? Sorry!

No rush though...
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

She should be able to go to the wrench tool and click subscribe to the topic and for the options on a post check "Notify me when a response is posted." That should do it. It may have been a glitch. I've had that happen before to things I am BCing.