[Solo] The Battle of Books by Jonathan Swift - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Elijah!

Section 0 is PL OK now!

Here is the feedback for Section 1 -

2:00 heard commonwealth? Should be common which is a different word – easy to chop end off
9:15 repeat “This at least…” keep the 2nd reading please
12:06 – extra word “Not” delete please
25:57 – repeat “So that, in short…” keep the 2nd reading please

Again, there is noise in the background – I listened with 2 different sets of earphones and could hear it on both. I think that your ear phones during recording are giving feedback as there is no noise when you are not speaking…. Just something to think about and to watch for. There were also a couple of places where there were dropping of items on a desk, however it was much better from previous recordings that I listened to. :clap:

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Thank you so much Lynda. I am starting to believe that the noises are something with my MP3. I used to have a weird tint in the back, and then changed MP3 to record with. This one worked better, but because it is winter, the furnace kicks in and then when I use noise reduction to get rid of the noise, it makes an odd noise when it kicks in and shuts off. It's something I've been trying to fix for a little while and can't figure out how to get rid of it. I'll try harder to figure some solutions out though. I'll fix the reading errors too.

Thank you
Elijah
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Elijah -

That was your best recording yet and do not worry too much about the noise as this is a solo so all recordings will be similar for ambiance.

Do you use a headset mic? In November I bought at Jabra Mono mic to record with and I have been very pleased with it. It has just one ear cover (for some reason I forgot what the ear thing is called) and then a mic for in front of your mouth. The BEST thing is that the mic has a sponge on it and the sponge DOES NOT come off! I used to lose sponges with my previous mic!

I actually got it in the USA - my best friend lives in Seattle so I am always ordering things from Amazon.com and sending them to her house :) Not good for my pocket book as it is US$! Here is the name of the one that i use.

Jabra UC VOICE 550 MS Mono Lync Optimized Corded Headset for Softphone

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I don't use headphone set. I use an (older?) MP3 to record. It picks up stuff great, maybe too great, and that's why there's so much noise possibly.

Anyway, I have fixed section 1, and it's ready for spot check PL.

Edit @ 1:59. No edit @ 9:15, I didn't hear another "this at least". Edit @ 12:05. No edit @ 25:55, I didn't hear another "so that, in short".

Thank you
Elijah
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Section 1 is PL OK now Elijah!

Great work!

As for your MP3 player, yes, I think it might be a bit sensitive as it is picking up when you move papers, pens/pencils on your desk, other noises where you live etc. I think most of us (I get this impression from PL'ing test recordings) use some type of mic to record as generally mics have noise reduction functionality built into them. For example, my husband can watch the TV on volume 7 (we normally are on 11) and I can be sitting about 10 feet away from the TV and record and you cannot hear the TV in my recordings. Just thought I would let you know about the difference.

Looking forward to Section 2 now!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Elijah -

Here is your feedback for Section 2. Again, as you asked, I only wrote down critical items that affect the flow of the reading or the comprehension of the material.

3:48 – heard “liberty” – should be “library” – two totally different words
4:08 – heard “conventing” – should be “coVEENing” – first word does not exist
5:43 – extra word – “oh” before though – please remove
6:57 – heard “tunering” – should be “turning” – first word does not exist
10:35 – stumble with “top” then heard “trop” – take out stumble and pronounce as “troup” (troooop) – two different words (trop and troup)
10:56 – heard “solved” – should be “Resolved” -two different words
11:35 – stumble needs to be removed
14:05 – heard “president” – should be “presidest” – two totally different words
15:27 – heard “he fell abit the earth” – should be “he fell and bit the earth” – the first does not make sense.
15:43 – stumble – heard “the”
15:58 – stumble – heard “an”
17:17 – heard “bow” – should be “beau” which is pronounced be-owe

Have a great day and looking forward to the next section!

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Thank you, I will fix these these this evening. Section 3 should be up tomorrow morning as well. Have a nice rest of your day! :D <smile>

Elijah
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

ej400 wrote: February 21st, 2019, 1:44 pm Thank you, I will fix these these this evening. Section 3 should be up tomorrow morning as well. Have a nice rest of your day! :D <smile>

Elijah
Hi back - I forgot to tell you something about Section 2 - you have an issue with the sampling rate. It should be 44.1 kHz (44,100 Hz). If you are using Audacity, this is set in the bottom left corner. Just set it to 44,100 Hz and then save the file you edited and it will stay there for future recordings. :)

Sorry about that!

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

That's alright, I knew there was something I did wrong before uploading, thank you for pointing that out! :D <smile>

Elijah
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Section 2 is ready for Spot PL

Edit @ 3:43. Edit @ 4:07. Edit @ 5:42. Edit @ 6:56. Edit @ 10:36. Edit @ 10:55. Edit @ 11:30 (maybe??? If it was at 11:30, I still edited it). No edit @ 14:05. I didn't hear anything about "president" or "presidest" from 13:30 - 14:30. Edit @ 15:25. Edit @ 15:41. Edit @ 15:55. No edit @ 17:17. I heard be-owe.

I also changed the bit rate to 44100 hz.

Thank you so much Lynda, I appreciate your feedback! :D <smile>
Elijah
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Elijah -

I did Section 4 first due to time constraints...

Here is your feedback -

0:24 - cut out the noise please
1:40 – heard imperderance I think – should be in TEMP er ance
2:07.5 – heard “though” text says “through” totally different context when talking about sweeping…
3:13.5 – heard “be besum” should just be “besum” take out the be please.

I have something for you to try which I do. When I run into a word that I have problems pronouncing while recording, instead of recording how I think it sounds and keeping recording, instead I pronounce it until I am satisfied and then sometimes read the whole sentence again with the word in it. I know that makes for a longer recording, however during editing and for the person who will be listening to your book, it will make a much better listening experience. I do not know much about you recording device as I have never used one, however I do sometimes put Audacity on pause and look up on the Internet by typing the word and then pronunciation to get the professional advice, practice it in my head and then start recording again and generally re-record the sentence. It just sounds so much smoother then!

Also, as your device seems to sound so much different when you do your edits do you think it would be better instead of recording one word to record a part of a sentence or the sentence instead again? I am noticing quite a pitch/volume difference between your recorded work and when you patch in a correction. Just trying to think on how we can make that less different. Do you have some thoughts?

Off to Section 3 now!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Elijah!

Here is the PL feedback for Section 3 - this was well read! While there were some skipped and mis-read words, these are the only ones that stood out and made a difference to the sad story -

0:54.5 – heard “wi” should be “which” in “which an Etesian..”
10:53 – heard “ascending strength” text says “adding strength…”
13:18 – heard “fair would he” text says “Fain would he”

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Thank you so much Lynda! :D <smile>

When I go to make edits, I have to use my mom's computer. I usually read from my chromebook which cannot have audacity installed or the checker, so that's why I use my mp3. I upload all my stuff onto my mom's computer which has audacity and the checker installed. Why the patches sound so different, is because I have to make edits on my mom's computer, so then it's a different mic when fixing stuff that needs to be re-recorded. It's kind of an older computer too, so the mic isn't the very greatest.

I have to admit something though, is I hate making reading mistakes and having to edit things. It feels like I'm being interrupted. (By myself? :lol: <laughing> ). It's just that, I'm reading really, really well sometimes, paragraphs go by, and I'm enjoying the story while doing it, and that's helping me keep going... but I don't want to stop. Then I make a good enough mistake and say it's time to stop and clap (I pause, and leave about 10 seconds of silence and then clap twice, then a couple more seconds of silence and then continue from a previous sentence). It's just that I'd like to know the story, instead of clapping every 30 seconds and barely getting trough. I know, I need to just find things that are critical, or what's an actual mistake.

I have never really known why I stumble over words so much when I read, maybe my eyes go ahead of what I'm saying and then I rush ahead? Maybe I feel pressured because I know people are going to be hearing this later. I need to just take it slow, and fix edits that need to be edited out because I did make a mistake. Lately, I've noticed that my average for when I make a mistake, is like every 6 minutes, where it was like 2-3 a month ago.

My conclusion, I'm out of practice. I just need to read more, make sure I fix edits instead of moving on in the story (but it was so good Elijah, keep going). :lol: laughing.

Thank you
Elijah