~[Solo] The Battle of Books by Jonathan Swift - dlo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » March 28th, 2019, 11:26 am

Hi Elijah!

First, before you read below, I want to let you know how impressed I was with the reading of the poems that I just PL'd this morning! You did very well with the readings! I was frustrated when with a couple of them I had to make a notation, especially one right at the end, after you had read the whole poem well! I think reading poems this length would be something you should look at doing instead of the long passages - especially with the recording set up that you currently have. :clap:

As these are poems, and when you re-record the missing/changes to words, I think it is best that you re-record the whole line in the poem instead of just the word that I point out. That I think will have a smoother read for the people who listen to this book. I have noted where that should be done.

Section 8
0:15 – heard refeted, should be refUted. Please re-record the whole title again so it sounds clear.

Section 9
0:20 – heard “all turn it all…” should be “And turn it all…” Please re-record the whole line
0:48 – heard “and concentrate…” should be “and consecrate…” Re-record the whole line please
1:54 – heard “youth of age” should be “youth and age” Re-record the whole line please
2:07 – heard “ranged in state” should be “rang’d in state” so rang Dh Again, please re-record line

Section 10
I will listen to this one when I have more time.

Section 11
PL OK Wahoo!!!

Section 12
2:50 – heard “All sense of men will” should be “All men of sense will” Please re-record whole line.
There is a considerable amount of “wavy” background noise plus a cat meow in the background. Did you have the TV on when you were recording? It is funny as you can only hear the background noise when you are speaking – not in the silence. If you can work on reducing that noise that would be awesome! It was not in the other sections I listened to.

Section 13
2:02 – heard “Apollo having a little” should be “Apollo having thought a little” Please re-record the whole line.
2:55, 3:11, 3:18 – missing “end footnote”

Section 14
1:52 – heard “to now” should be “to mow” Please re-record whole line
2:22 – heard “have seen them” should be “have them” remove “seen: please

Section 15
2:17 – heard “the destination” should be “the de TEST ation” – again, whole line to re-record
3:33 – heard “and therefore goes on with courage” should be “and therefore goes with courage on” (courage does not rhyme with previous line) – re-record whole line please

Section 16
1:11 – heard “phigum” should be “phlegm” or f-L-em – re-record the whole line please.
1:37 – please re-record this line – your pronunciation of “assassination” was not clear and it is the rhyming word.
6:01 – heard “amI able Stella” should be “am E able Stella.

Have a good day!

Lynda

ej400

Post by ej400 » March 28th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Thank you Lynda. I will try to re-read the line instead of just one word. I'm glad these are better, thank you. :D <smile>

I didn't have the TV on while reading, I'm in a room without a TV when I record. It's just my furnace leaving an odd noise. It's something I myself try to fix, just sometimes I forget to noise reduce it. Usually I catch it, just not this time.

Thank you.

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 1st, 2019, 12:36 pm

Hi Elijah -

Just curious - do you proof listen to your own recordings before uploading them for me to PL?

I have never noticed any corrections in your recordings when listening to them - only after I provide feedback.

I am currently doing the 45 minute poem (Section 10) and it is slow going and I am just wondering if you listened to it first and just missed the errors that I am finding. A poem leans more to a word perfect PL as the words in a poem each can mean so much and then there is rhyming to consider too. So the PL can take longer.

Part of the recording process is to PL your own work and make changes - the purpose of the DPL is just to ensure that any last bits are caught.

Lynda

ej400

Post by ej400 » April 1st, 2019, 12:38 pm

From when I read, I usually catch everything I think I need to fix. I don't PL my own section before posting it, I catch everything when I'm reading.

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 1st, 2019, 1:01 pm

ej400 wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 12:38 pm
From when I read, I usually catch everything I think I need to fix. I don't PL my own section before posting it, I catch everything when I'm reading.
Okay, I am going to stop listening to your Section 10 now then and provide you with the feedback.

It is standard for readers to PL their own work prior to sending it to the DPL. For me, there are certain words that I always get wrong when reading despite paying attention for them - such as North I always say South. It is only courteous to your DPL's time to check your work prior to sending it in for listening. I have spent over an hour listening to Section 10 and I have only gone through 20 minutes so far.

Please go through the rest of this recording and check it against the text for words that are mis-spoken, extra words, extra silence and noise and correct them. In a poem it is best to re-record the line so it does not sound as choppy with a different sounding word in the middle of a sentence.

1:18 – heard “her dignity and her crown”, should just be “her dignity and crown”, please remove the extra her
2:51 – just before “a dull stream” remove the extra words – not needed
3:21 – heard “hence we conclude” – should be “Hence we conclude,” please re-record whole line
3:32 – heard “the fault on the nymphs” – should be “the fault MUST on the nymphs…” please re-record whole line
4:28 – heard “to value that men disguise” – should be “to value that WHICH men disguise” please re-record whole line
5:05 – heard “dobes” – should be “doubts” please re-record whole line
8:38 – heard “cilo” – should be “Clio” please re-record whole line
7:16 – please remove space – there should not be empty space in a verse
9:36 – please remove the “a” sound before the line
11:28 – heard “use him” should be “WOULD use him…” please re-record whole line
16:55 – heard “when they grew part” – should be “when they grew PERT” – please re-record whole line
17:22 – heard “have no prestence” – should be “have no PREtence” – please re-record whole line
18:28 – heard “at the entrance” – take out “the” – should be “at entrance”
19:50 – heard “they railed next” – should be “they RALLIED next” – please re-record whole line
19:57 – heard “let me see your head” – should be “let me SET you head” – please re-record whole line
20:07 – heard “with handsome garrets at your knees” – should be with handsome GARTERS at your knees” – please re-record whole line
21:45 – heard “for examples” – should be “for GREAT examples” – please re-record whole line
22:06 – heard “neither height nor light” – should be “neither HEAT nor light” – please re-record whole line

After this above sentence at the end of the verse is where I ended my PL. Let me know when the poem is updated and listened to it and I will give it another try :)

Lynda

ej400

Post by ej400 » April 1st, 2019, 1:23 pm

I feel like some of these PL notes don't even make a difference to the story.
3:21 – heard “hence we conclude” – should be “Hence we conclude,” please re-record whole line
I don't even understand this one.
3:32 – heard “the fault on the nymphs” – should be “the fault MUST on the nymphs…” please re-record whole line
This one means the same thing, and it's not a rhyme.

Again, some of these PL notes are for Word perfect PL which I didn't intend to receive. Yes, I agree, some of these one word things should be fixed, and I will, but to save your time, you don't have to mark every mistake I make. :D <smile>

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 1st, 2019, 1:55 pm

I will check the 1st one as I obviously missed listing the correction I think.

The 2nd one the word MUST is missing. I have capitalized the problem word so you can see it.

Elijah - I skip about 2 things to every 1 I write down. As I said, in poems words skipped or said incorrectly are important to the meaning of the poem. Often poems PL's are closer to word perfect than standard as fewer words are said to get the meaning across than in a story.

Lynda

ej400

Post by ej400 » April 2nd, 2019, 8:23 am

Sections 8, 9 & 12 are ready for spot PL check. Thank you Lynda! :D <smile>

The times of the edits, are all close to what you posted.

ej400

Post by ej400 » April 7th, 2019, 10:40 am

Please read this: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=74557

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 11th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Hi Elijah -

I am sorry to hear of your house fire! I know a bit about what you are going through as my grandparents house partially burnt down due to an electric blanket fire in the middle of the night. Both my grandparents got out which was actually funny - my granddad went out the back door and my grandmother went out the front door (she got her coat) which was the door she could never figure out how to open the locks on! Well in the middle of the night when she had to, she was successful! It is just that smoke smell that permeates everything and I can still smell at times 20 years after their fire that makes me feel sick. I hope you can get rid of that smell on things!

Let me know when you are back - in the meantime I am going to spot check the recordings that you have sent back to me.

Lynda

ej400

Post by ej400 » April 11th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Lmnei wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Hi Elijah -

I am sorry to hear of your house fire! I know a bit about what you are going through as my grandparents house partially burnt down due to an electric blanket fire in the middle of the night. Both my grandparents got out which was actually funny - my granddad went out the back door and my grandmother went out the front door (she got her coat) which was the door she could never figure out how to open the locks on! Well in the middle of the night when she had to, she was successful! It is just that smoke smell that permeates everything and I can still smell at times 20 years after their fire that makes me feel sick. I hope you can get rid of that smell on things!

Let me know when you are back - in the meantime I am going to spot check the recordings that you have sent back to me.

Lynda
Thank you Lynda. I will certainly let you know when I'll be back. I might fix some recordings soon, but not new sections yet.

ej400

Post by ej400 » April 16th, 2019, 8:37 am

Sections 13 & 14 are both ready for spot PL. Finally found some time to edit them.

Thank you Lynda, have a wonderful day!

ej400

Post by ej400 » April 26th, 2019, 8:58 am

I have read up to the final two sections. I should be uploading them by the end of the week

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 28th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Hi!

Sections 8, 9, 12, 13 and 14 are PL OK now.

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 28th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Elijah -

Have you listened to Section 10 yet in full?

Please make the corrections that I already sent you and then complete listening to the reading and see if there are any more edits that need to be done and then complete those edits prior to sending it back to me to listen to it again.

I have set it to See PL Notes in the meantime. Please change to Ready for Spot PL when you are ready for me to listen to it and check the feedback I gave you for the 1st half and then PL the second half.

Thanks so much -

Lynda