SOLO Riceyman Steps by Arnold Bennett - lt

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ogus

Post by ogus » January 18th, 2019, 8:57 am

Arnold Bennet's masterly novel is a gritty tale about a bookseller whose life and love of a woman are afflicted by miserliness. It is set in London's characterful Clerkenwell district shortly after the First World War. ( Anthony Ogus)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58666
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Arnold Bennett) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Bennett
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riceyman_Steps
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 49
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1923
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: http://www.anthonyogus.co.uk/
============================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: romance, London, miserliness, bookseller

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Riceyman Steps. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Riceyman Steps, by Arnold Bennett. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Riceyman Steps by Arnold Bennett. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Riceyman Steps, by Arnold Bennett. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename riceymansteps_##_bennett_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. riceymansteps_01_bennett_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Arnold Bennett
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Riceyman Steps

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » January 18th, 2019, 9:16 am

I can set this up for you. Back in a few minutes with the MW.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » January 18th, 2019, 9:21 am

All set. Do you have a DPL lined up?
Let me know if you need anything else.

ogus

Post by ogus » January 18th, 2019, 9:59 am

That was quick! Very good to have you back in charge. No, I haven't a DPL, so would be grateful if you could fine one.

Anthony

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » January 18th, 2019, 10:10 am

We'll stay on the Launch Pad for a coupe of days to see if one pops up. Best to have a couple of chapters in the MW before advertising in Listeners Wanted, though.

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » January 18th, 2019, 11:39 am

I'm up for it (DPL I mean). I've been wanting to check out Arnold Bennett.

Colleen

ogus

Post by ogus » January 19th, 2019, 1:16 am

Many thanks, ColleenMc. Very glad to have you on board.

I've always been reluctant to record Arnold Bennett, because I would not have the right accent for the Potteries, but I am (or rather was) at home in London!

The chapters are very short, so hope to have a couple posted this weekend.

Anthony

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » January 19th, 2019, 9:51 am

Colleen added as DPL. Moved to Going Solo.
Have fun!

ogus

Post by ogus » January 20th, 2019, 11:07 am

Here we go then. Chapters 1 and 2 posted. Hope you enjoy this book which I first read over 50 years ago!

Anthony

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » January 20th, 2019, 11:54 am

I had just sat down to eat some lunch and saw this notification, so I went ahead and did chapter 1. Not much happening yet but a lot of vivid description, makes it easy to see in my mind!

Just one note - at 1:13 there's a little stumble at "experienced and cautious observer".

And we're underway!

Colleen

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » January 20th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Chapter 2 is PL OK!

The detailed geography sent me off to Google maps to try to work out the layout of the area (particularly where the customer's Myddleton Square might be in relationship to Riceyman Square/Steps.). I also stumbled across this delightful blog post, where the blogger explores the modern-day layout and compares it to descriptions in the book:

https://sequinsandcherryblossom.com/2015/11/16/riceyman-steps-a-clerkenwell-tour-in-the-footsteps-of-arnold-bennett/

I had a wonderful semester abroad in London some 30 odd years ago and loved every minute. So I always wonder where things are in relation to where I stayed (Bryanston Square, which I gather was pretty toney at the time but has gotten much more so in the meantime -- it was a very nice area but our building was a fairly rundown student residence/boarding house). At the time I'd never lived anywhere with real public transport so I was enthralled with the Underground and took it everywhere and got very good at navigating by it, but one thing I regret a bit now is that that meant I never learned much about the surface geography of where things were in relation to each other and how very walkable everything really was! I desperately want to get back for a visit one of these days and will probably do a great deal more walking when I do...

Also, the descriptions of the bookshop made me desperately want to go out and find one near me to poke around in this afternoon!

I really do enjoy your reading voice and style, this is going to be a fun project. I promise not to babble so much at every chapter!

ogus

Post by ogus » January 22nd, 2019, 10:44 am

Pleased that you spotted the flaw in Chap 1 (now corrected). Some previous DPLs have let that sort of thing go, but I prefer a stricter scrutiny.

I spent my childhood and adolescence in London so know well the character of Clerkenwell - it is still a most interesting district.

Chapter 3 posted.

Anthony

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » January 26th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Section 1 is now PL OK

Section 3 is also PL Ok

Colleen

ogus

Post by ogus » January 29th, 2019, 9:14 am

Chapter 4 posted.

In what state do you live (if I may ask)?

Anthony

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » January 31st, 2019, 11:56 am

Great, looking forward to more listening!

I live just outside Atlanta, GA.

Colleen