COMPLETE: Worlds Within Worlds: The Story of Nuclear Energy, Vol 1-3 , by Isaac Asimov - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Colleen
this all makes sense - thanks for making time to send me extra guidance. I think I'll have time to dig into the BC process tonight...
Cody
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Colleen, Jo
I've had a few setbacks but finally have section 1 uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/worldswithinworlds_01_asimov_128kb.mp3

Duration 59:28

I struggled a bit with some background noise, and if it's too distracting I can try further filtering.
If this is acceptable, I can complete and post Section 2 right away. I'm on travel Jan 18-31 so it's unlikely I'll get more done before Feb.

Thanks
Blane
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Okay, I will get on it. Don’t forget to update the magic window with the link, duration and status.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Thanks - should be able to update the magic window tonight
B
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

The magic window really needs to be updated, because technically I'm not supposed to listen using the link in the thread, only the one in the magic window.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Great, just saw it was updated! However, I think the sections are out of order. The second section is identified in the recording as Volume 1 part 2, but the MW has it as Volume 2 part 1. I think the labels for section 2 and section 3 just need to be switched to make it work correctly.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Colleen
yes, thanks for catching ANOTHER blunder :)
I have the labels incorrect in the MW
Will fix that now...
Blane
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Blane:

Okay here's feedback for section 1 (Volume 1 section 1) -- Don't be discouraged, this is long but mainly because I'm wordy and I want to make sure things are clear...you have a GOOD first go at recording!

First, you are a very good reader -- your pacing is nice, your pronunciation is clear, and you read expressively. Off to an excellent start!

Let's talk about that background buzz or hum though. It's definitely still there and definitely noticable. I checked with a couple of other folks and they agreed that it's intrusive enough that we need to figure out a fix for it. So I'm going to make a couple of suggestions.

First, avoiding the buzz going forward in future recordings -- I started to listen to section 2 (Volume 1 and noticed that there is NO buzz that I notice in the intro part of the recording, and then it starts up again at about the 44 second mark. Did you record the intro separately and then attach it to the other recording? Whatever you did for that part, keep doing!

The buzz/hum sounds like a computer fan -- is that possibly what it is? Can you position your microphone further from the source, or perhaps (if it's a laptop) switch to battery power while recording? I've seen another user say that she uses battery power when recording because the fan is quieter.

Second, fixing the buzz in the recordings you already have. One of the people I checked with said that she tried running noise reduction on it and it had an effect, so maybe you need to run it a couple of times.

The first few recordings I did, I didn't do the noise reduction correctly, though I thought I had, so let me run through it with you to make sure we are on the same page (this is for Audacity; skip this next paragraph or two if you are using something else). First, go to a section of your recording where you have a few seconds of silence and use your mouse to highlight 2-3 seconds (tho I've had it work with as little as one-second sample, but several seconds works better. I usually use the 5-second silence at the end of the recording for my sample.

Once you have highlighted a sample, pull down the Effects menu and select Noise Reduction. This opens a dialogue box. Click "Get Noise profile" and the box closes. You've just told the program which sound you want it to get rid of. Next, use CTRL-A to highlight the whole recording and open Noise Reduction again. This time just hit Okay and the noise reduction runs.

I almost always have to use noise reduction because I live near an airport and there's a more or less continuous background roar on my recordings, especially when the weather is cloudy because the sound reflects more! I can see when I need noise reduction because the "blue line" that continuously scrolls when you are recording is a little bit jagged and "fuzzy" even when I'm quiet. After I run the noise reduction, that line is very thin. Occasionally I have to run it more than once. You don't need to do the noise profile step again, just open noise reduction and hit OK again.

If you are using different software or still struggling with this, try posting to the "Need Help? Got Advice?" forum. People with more technical knowledge than me may be able to help you work this out.

Re-recording would be a last resort. If you do end up re-recording, you can skip the specific fixes below this.

Once you are able to fix the buzz, go ahead and do the fix to section 2 and re-upload it as well.

Another general observation: I hear intermittent noises throughout the recording that sound like the microphone is picking up your movements or something is bumping or nudging it a little. Don't worry about editing them out this time, but try to avoid them going forward. I've found I have to sit very still when I record because 1) my desk chair creaks and 2) I'm a klutz and if I move around, I am guaranteed to eventually bump the mike or bump something else that bumps the mike!

Don't repeat the book title at the end of the section -- that's only for the end of the book. Just "End of section..." and "Recording by..."

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.

Some specific edits (helpful hint, when there are several things to fix, start with the last one and work backwards, that way the time stamps stay accurate and it's easier to find the spots to fix!):

8:53 "without taking up any room" I hear "without taking up much room". The substitution changes the meaning.

21:41 "first discovered in 1789" I hear "first observed in 1789"

30:51 "to which one or more extra electrons has been added" Missing the word "extra"

46:38 "and that had presumably been stable" I hear an extra "been" before "presumably"

49:22 "...and one with an atomic weight of 22 -- [Neon-20] and [Neon-22]." Last phrase was skipped.

Again, you are off to a good start! I'm looking forward to more!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Colleen
thanks for the thorough review and suggestions.
Going forward, I have solved my background noise problem - at least I'm nearly certain I've found and resolved the source. I'll proceed with Volumes 2 & 3 (sections 3 - 6) presuming I verify the noise is gone.

I'd suggest you WAIT and not invest your time in Section 2 until I can review further. I may end up re-recording both Sections 1 & 2 but will first attempt to re-run the noise reduction, either with a more aggressive set of parameters or multiple passes as you suggest. (I would not have thought that multiple passes would work well, so I'll certainly try that).

I'm on travel through 1/30 so unlikely to have updates for you, but if time permits I'll let you know my status. Oh, presuming I don't re-record, I'll correct the errors and omissions you noted, also.

Thanks
Blane
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Okay! Safe travels!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Colleen
tonight I uploaded https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/worldswithinworlds_03_asimov_128kb.mp3
Duration 42:50

Note I have not yet returned to editing Sections 1 & 2; I'm going to wait to confirm the next sections are good, then likely finish Sections 5 & 6, and then decide if I should Edit or re-record the first two sections.

Thanks
Blane
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Sorry I forgot to update the Magic Window with the "listen" URLs
I'll do that tonight
B
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks! I’m traveling this week but hope to have time to listen.
Colleen McMahon