COMPLETE: Worlds Within Worlds: The Story of Nuclear Energy, Vol 1-3 , by Isaac Asimov - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

[SOLO] Worlds Within Worlds: The Story of Nuclear Energy, Volumes 1-3 by Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on the catalog page.

https://librivox.org/worlds-within-worlds-the-story-of-nuclear-energy-volumes-1-3-by-isaac-asimov/
This is a short booklet on science fact commissioned by the U. S. Energy Research and Development Administration (Office of Public Affairs). It tells the story of the origins of nuclear physics in terms understandable to an audience with minimal technical background. What were the steps through history - the discoveries that built upon one another - from alchemy to chemistry, physics, astronomy, mathematics, and quantum mechanics, that led to our understanding and harnessing nuclear energy? Asimov was a great writer of both science fact and fiction who wrote or edited more than 500 books, published in 9 of the 10 major categories of the Dewey Decimal Classification.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49819 & http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49820 & http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49821
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Genres for the project: Non-fiction/Science

Keywords that describe the book: physics, nuclear power, nuclear weapons, quantum mechanics, atoms, atomic energy

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Worlds Within Worlds by Isaac Asimov. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Worlds Within Worlds: The Story of Nuclear Energy, Volume [#], by Isaac Asimov."

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Worlds Within Worlds by Isaac Asimov. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Volume #]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section #]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Worlds Within Worlds: The Story of Nuclear Energy by Isaac Asimov."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename worldswithinworlds_##_asimov_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. worldswithinworlds_01_asimov_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags are now optional. They are added automatically during cataloging.
    Artist: Isaac Asimov
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Worlds Within Worlds: The Story of Nuclear Energy

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by blaneadenmckoy on January 5th, 2019, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Did I do this correctly? This is my first time proposing a solo project.

I'm a big fan of Asimov's science fiction, but apparently none of his fiction (other than "Youth") are available in the public domain to read. I found this science text in Gutenberg, and since I'm a physicist, I'd love to contribute this recording to Librivox.

I'm not sure what happens next - I could start recording this evening, but should I wait for a proof listener or MC to agree to help?

Thanks
Blane
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've moved this from Book Suggestions to the Launch Pad.

This is OK to record. You'll have to wait until you get an MC before you can upload anything, though. You'll need an MC, but you don't need a DPL right away.

Also, be sure to keep the sections to 72 minutes or fewer, so they can fit on an audio CD. (I saw that volume 1 was about 10,000-11,000 words, so if you speak at a normal pace, it should fit.)

The generated intro is a little funky, so you might want to wait on recording that until you get an MC that can check things over and make suggestions. Also, the generated file name is way too long and with bad characters. :) I'd suggest worldswithinworlds_##_asimov_128kb as the file naming scheme.

I won't be MC'ing this, as it's not PD for me. And I notice there are a LOT of new projects in the Launch Pad waiting for MCs, so it may take a few days for one to come along. Please be patient. It's crazy how many projects have been launched in the past few days!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Tricia
Thank you, this is all good advice - I'll get started today, but I won't go too far until I have an MC for guidance.
Blane
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

This is a crazy coincidence - I write a regular feature for a fantasy/science fiction fan site on interesting things in the public domain and just wrote about Asimov's works on PG this afternoon, including this one. I had not heard of these volumes before today, and then I came on here this evening and found it here! Very random.

The column will probably go up on Tuesday at the File 770 site, if you are interested! (file770.com)

When this gets going, I would like to volunteer to be the dedicated proof listener.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Colleen
That is an amazing coincidence. I've been intending to propose this project for weeks, but couldn't get started before the holidays. Would be glad to have you sign up as proof listener!
Thanks for the link to http://file770.com
Blane
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I can MC for you, Blane. Away from my computer at the moment, but will get this set up before the end of the night.
Jo
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

thanks, knot-Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

OK here we go. I've edited the intro, outro and filenames down to something manageable. If anything thing doesn't seem to read correctly, it can be edited again.

This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler - which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. Since you already have a DPL, I will move the thread to Going Solo as soon as I know you have seen this post. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Jo
thanks for the help. I think I am getting in sync but need to request advice on modifying this.

I read Volume 1 tonight, and it's 97 minutes. Therefore I assume I need to break it up. There are 3 main section headings in Vol1, and I think it would be okay to call them "chapters", so I have Vol1, Chap 1,2,3, then when I get into Vol2 I'll continue w/ Chap 4.

What would you prefer for file names? You offered "worldswithinworlds_##_asimov_128kb.mp3" and I could do both volume & chapter e.g. "worldswithinworlds_v#_ch#_asimov_128kb.mp3" or ignore the original volume boundaries and just name by chapter "worldswithinworlds_##_asimov_128kb.mp3". Either way I'd deliver more than 3 files.

Last, if we split up chapters like this, a couple of them are really short, (e.g. Vol 1 Chap 1 & Vol 2 Chap 4) so to avoid small files I could combine short ones. Looking at the table of contents, that would end up being as follows:

"worldswithinworlds_v1_ch12_asimov_128kb.mp3"
"worldswithinworlds_v1_ch3_asimov_128kb.mp3"
"worldswithinworlds_v2_ch45_asimov_128kb.mp3"
"worldswithinworlds_v2_ch6_asimov_128kb.mp3"
"worldswithinworlds_v3_ch7_asimov_128kb.mp3"
"worldswithinworlds_v3_ch8_asimov_128kb.mp3"
"worldswithinworlds_v3_ch9_asimov_128kb.mp3"

Sorry to make it more complicated but if we want to stay under 72 minutes, Vol 1 (at least) is too big.

Thanks
Blane
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Blane,

Yes it would be good to keep all the files under 72 minutes more or less for anyone who is still burning to CDs. The filenames should coincide with the section numbers in the magic window. I don't think it's necessary to add volume and chapters to them. All that will be in the titles in the magic window which will transfer to the title ID3 tags on the files.

A couple of short files is not a problem. If it's easier to be consistent with one file per chapter, that's fine. You will be using the short disclaimer after the first section so it would be a big deal to your listeners if a couple of chapters are significantly shorter than others. Unless of course they are only a couple of sentences.

You can add new sections to the section compiler for the extra files when you add the titles.

Meanwhile, I am going to move this thread to Going Solo. The link stays the same if you have bookmarked the thread.
Jo
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Jo
thanks, but I'm not sure I completely understand - I think what you're saying is:
  • Stick with a simple number in the filename "worldswithinworlds_##_asimov_128kb.mp3"
  • Go ahead and upload a total of 9 files (even though 2 will be relatively short)
  • In the filename, don't list re: the original printed Volume number (I will include verbal annotations for which of the three original volumes each section comes from)

What I'm not clear about is your comment
You can add new sections to the section compiler for the extra files when you add the titles.

Do I have access to a section compiler somewhere? Or do I simply upload my 9 files, and the section compiler runs automatically to update from 3 (expected) to 9 (final) sections?

Thanks
Blane
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

As soloist you are the BC for this project and it is up to you to fill in the titles and add the links to the files you upload into the section compiler.

Links to directions for accessing the workflow and editing the section compiler for the project are in my earlier post above.

viewtopic.php?p=1540446#p1540446
Jo
blaneadenmckoy

Post by blaneadenmckoy »

Jo
geez, I'm sorry - it was there in plain sight but I didn't read it all - my apologies. Okay I will complete my homework :) thank you
B
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Just some suggestions to get you off to a good start--

I think you will want to make more rows in the magic window for each of the sections of the volumes. So if you are dividing volume I into 3 chapters, they would be Volume 1, Chapter 1 etc. Then Volume 2, Chapter 2 but each section numbered consecutively for our purposes (the first column of the table) so we can refer each other to section 3 or section 5.

Here's a novel that was published in 3 volumes but is being recorded as one longer work, you can see how the BC set it up in the MW here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70567

Take a look at how this one is set up for a different visual example -- there are lengthy chapters but they are subdivided.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72764&hilit=historians

So the chapter on the Code of Hammurabi (which I'm in the midst of recording) is one chapter in the book and the book coordinator has divided it into three sections. When recorded, I (or the other reader) reads exactly what is in the title column as the chapter title at the beginning of the recording (after the disclaimer etc), generally "[chapter title] Part 1" "part 2 etc". But when talking about it on the thread the section numbering makes it easier to refer to a part as section 5 or 6.

If there are subheadings within your text they can make convenient breaking points. When I'm dividing up a book that has lots of short chapters, like the solo I'm currently reading, I group them to make sections of 20-40 minutes or thereabouts. Makes it easier on the listener not to hear the disclaimer (even the short version) over and over, in my opinion.

Everyone does things their own way, but however you decide to do it, the whole project goes most smoothly if you figure out the structure of the whole project at the outset and "set it in stone" in the window so it's easy for you and everyone else to follow. It gets confusing when people have to add additional breaks within a long chapter.

When I've set up my (all of 3 so far so I'm not the be all and end all of experience) solo projects, on two of them I made "test recordings" for my own purposes without intending to post them as completed files, to see if I had the right chapter lengths, before I finalized my magic window. It sounds like you have already been doing that so you can use it as a guide to see if the subdivisions work for you.

Hope this is helpful and I'm not just confusing you by babbling!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai