COMPLETE: Fires and Fire-fighters by John KENLON - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Sorry, klaatu. I added you to the list of Prooflisteners, and then apparently forgot to go back after the list refreshed to add you to the project as DPL. You should see the project in your list the next time you login to the Workflow tool.
Jo
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

Cheers, thanks. I see it now.

And so it begins!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Section 3 is ready for PL! (Length 24:46)

Seth, I just noticed that Sections 1 & 2 have been marked PL OK! I'm not sure when you did this, so if my acknowledgment is much delayed, it's because I only went into the MW now to post Section 3. Thank you! :)

When you have PL'd a section, it would be helpful if you'd post here in the thread to say PL OK, even if there are no PL notes. We don't receive notifications when something is put into the MW, but a post in the thread will trigger a notification, and that will alert us to the fact that something new has happened in a project. (That's why I just posted here to say "Section 3 is up", because otherwise you wouldn't receive any notification that it was waiting in the MW.)

Coming later this week -- Section 4! That one is going to be fun, because it's got your ancestor's personal memoirs included in it, how he got from sailor to firefighter, which should be very interesting!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Section 4 is now in the MW!
This one has a lot of interesting personal reminiscences of the author!

Also, I see that you've marked Section 3 PL OK in the MW. Thank you!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Just wanted to let you two know that I'm having a battle with my computer which is delaying my doing any recording. One of those annoying mandatory Windows 10 updates went through my computer about a week ago, and caused several things I use to stop working. (e.g., the printer/scanner, the DVD drive, the USB connections). I've been working at my job every day because I'm covering someone else's shifts along with mine, so I'm only free to wrestle with the computer for short times in the evenings. Thus it's taking me quite awhile to sort all this out. I'll be getting some more recording done as soon as I can. Just wanted to let you know what's up. (Need I say how much I hate Windows 10 updates?!)
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Another update on my recording situation. -- The reason my mic isn't working is because the USB ports on my computer don't work anymore. The computer is still working fine for all other general purposes, but anything to do with plugging in a USB device is not going to happen. So ... No flash drives, no microphone. I have access to another computer, but I need to wait for a day off from work to disconnect this one and set up the other. As soon as I get this working, I intend to a whole lot of recording at once, and try to make up for this lost month!

Also, I just noticed in the MW that Section 4 has been marked PL OK. Thank you, Seth!

Sorry for the way this project has temporarily ground to a standstill, but I hope to have the problem sorted out soon!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Hooray! I have found a way to record again!
I connected an old computer to my monitor, keyboard, and mouse, activated Audacity via a flash drive, and connected my microphone. Eureka! It works!
I recorded Chapter 5 of "Fires and Firefighters" this evening! I will try to get it edited over the next couple of evenings.

That old computer is still running Windows 7, so I can't connect it to the internet, because if I do, it immediately starts trying to update to Windows 10, and it doesn't have enough hard drive space for that. The reason why it has been out of service all this time is because it kept crashing from the update attempts. But as long as I am careful NOT to connect it to the internet, it looks like it will work as my LV recording device.
When I have a file ready to upload to LV, I'll have to save it to a flash drive and upload from a different computer, that's all.

My actual working computer, the internet-connected one, has unfortunately still not resolved its problems with the USB ports, so I can't plug in either my microphone or my flash drive there. I can send forum posts, e-mails, all that stuff, but nothing that needs a working USB port.
So when I have a file ready to send to LV, I will take it to the library and upload it from my flash drive there.

I had to disconnect the old Windows 7 computer, and reconnect my regular computer to my monitor, keyboard, mouse, and internet, in order to send this message. I'll have to disconnect it all again whenever I want to set up the old computer for recording and editing. It's a pesky nuisance of a work-around. But hey, at least it works!

This means that I am back in business at LV again!
Golly, have I missed this place! I'm so happy to be recording again!
Expect Chapter 5 in a couple of days!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Ta-da! Here is Chapter 5! (length 47:44)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firesandfirefighters_05_kenlon_128kb.mp3

Now that I have a working system, I will be trying to catch up for these past couple of months of inactivity. I hope to finish about one section a week if possible to make up for lost time. Thanks for your patience these past two months.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

After taking last week off for Easter stuff, here I am back again with Section 7 - (length 36:22)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firesandfirefighters_07_kenlon_128kb.mp3
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Maria,

I see you are making good progress on this. If you haven't heard from klaatu recently, you might want to send a PM in case he isn't following the thread.

Jo
Jo
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thanks, Jo, for the encouraging words! Yes, I do feel like I'm finally making progress at last! Being stalled by computer issues can be so frustrating!

I've just noticed that Chapter 5 has been changed from "Ready for PL" to "PL OK" since I last was aware -- which tells me that klaatu/Seth is still on the job. Although I guess it could have been awhile ago, since I wasn't paying enough attention to notice whether it had already been changed the last time I posted a new chapter. So just to be on the safe side, I will send him a PM as you suggest.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Here is Section 10 - (length 39:36)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firesandfirefighters_10_kenlon_128kb.mp3

and Section 11 - (34:32)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firesandfirefighters_11_kenlon_128kb.mp3

Both of these sections are Chapter 10, "Great Fires and How They Were Fought, Part 1".
This was a very long chapter, and turned out to be 1 hour 15 minutes when done, so it had to be split into two sections.

I had some uncertainty about how to read the title of this chapter. :?
I know that normally, when we split a chapter, we would say something like: "Great Fires..., part 1", and "Great Fires..., part 2".
Unfortunately, our author has already beat me to that option, because he has two chapters already entitled, "Great Fires... Part 1" and "Great Fires... part 2".
So I would've ended up saying, "Great Fires, part 1, part 1" and "Great Fires, part 1, part 2" -- which would sound both confusing and ridiculous!
(Especially if I find I must split the next chapter also, in which case I'd also have to say "Great Fires, part 2, part 1", and "Great Fires, part 2, part 2"!!!) :roll:

Anyway, I decided to say, "Great Fires, part 1A", and "Great Fires, part 1B", just because I couldn't think of anything better.
I know that's not the recommended method, though, so if you have a more orthodox suggestion, I will happily change the intros.
Just let me know. :help:

Also, Seth still hasn't replied to my PM about whether he still wishes to remain as DPL.
I'm not in any particular anxiety, though, as I'm nowhere near the last section, so he has plenty of time to catch up.
If we draw near the finish line, and haven't heard from him, I could advertise for a new PL then.
But I want to give him time, since I know he was eager to PL this on account of the author being family to him.