Solo: The Juvenile Bible - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 3rd, 2019, 10:11 pm

Thanks, Devorah and Tricia!
By 'editing work', I meant the normal editing work done on a file so it's not raw.
I am not familiar with the 'long s', so thank you for notifying me! I was not aware of it and I will change it as soon as possible.
I'm response to your comments on background noise, Devorah, both your guesses were most likely correct.
Thanks for your notes, Devorah, I will certainly see what I can do.

Now I must log off, as I need to sleep.
Many thanks, both of you!

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 5th, 2019, 12:12 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 5:36 pm
maybe slow down your pace a tiny bit, that would go a very long way for you. :)
Devorah,
I have an issue with stuttering, so it's fairly hard for me to slow down. (I'll get stuck and trip on my words if I do, making a ton of hard work editing for me later.) If I'm not understandable, I'll do my best to slow down, but it's kind of hard for me.
I don't have a ton of free time for recording, as I've been busy, but when I do record, I like to get as much done as possible and spending 20-30 minutes editing and prooflistening hinders my time to record.
Just let me know what you think :thumbs:

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 5th, 2019, 12:28 pm

JayKitty76 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 12:12 pm
mightyfelix wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 5:36 pm
maybe slow down your pace a tiny bit, that would go a very long way for you. :)
Devorah,
I have an issue with stuttering, so it's fairly hard for me to slow down. (I'll get stuck and trip on my words if I do, making a ton of hard work editing for me later.) If I'm not understandable, I'll do my best to slow down, but it's kind of hard for me.
I don't have a ton of free time for recording, as I've been busy, but when I do record, I like to get as much done as possible and spending 20-30 minutes editing and prooflistening hinders my time to record.
Just let me know what you think :thumbs:
No sweat! It was just a suggestion, which I only offered since you'd asked for advice. You're not bound to take it, especially if it would make so much more work for you. We all do this to have fun, so if it doesn't make it more enjoyable for you, then don't do it. :)

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 5th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Thanks for understanding, Devorah.
I appreciate it :)

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 9th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Here is chapter 1, ready for spot check:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/juvenilebible_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3
the change I made: 'a numerous seed is promised'

It sounds super different, but my headphones went wonky today (they're good noise-cancelling headphones, but all of a sudden they're catching TONS of background noise and it sounds kind of tinny to noise reduct...but that's what I have to do to make it understandable.) Also, it's a different day and my voice sounds different in recordings every day...you know how it is.

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 9th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Yes, I see what you mean. It does sound further away, somehow. Still, your words are clear and understandable, and so the book of Genesis gets a PL ok! :thumbs:

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 10th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Yay! Thanks.

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 14th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Here's Exodus, ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/juvenilebible_02_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Devorah, as you know the quality is not as good because my headphones broke. Hopefully all the edits are done.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 14th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Don't forget to put section titles in the Magic Window. I assume they'll be the Bible book names?

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 15th, 2019, 2:27 pm

TriciaG wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 6:50 pm
Don't forget to put section titles in the Magic Window. I assume they'll be the Bible book names?
Oops! I completely forgot about that! :oops: Thanks for pointing that out, I'll set to work filling those in right now :oops: :!:

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 17th, 2019, 1:36 pm

JayKitty76 wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 6:40 pm
Here's Exodus, ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/juvenilebible_02_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Devorah, as you know the quality is not as good because my headphones broke. Hopefully all the edits are done.
:hmm: The text is all complete and correct; however, I think the quality here may have deteriorated past the point of being usable. There were certain spots where the sound seemed to cut out altogether and, had I not been reading along, I may not have been able to understand it.

Tricia, I need a second opinion. Do you think the sound quality on this is still acceptable, or will Jay have to hold out for a new mic? I hesitate to say that, but I really don't know.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 17th, 2019, 2:01 pm

There's definitely a degradation of quality, and perhaps too aggressive noise removal?

What I most noticed were:

weird noise at about 0:07 ("recorded by jaykitty76" and just after)
1:33-ish "boards, curtains, bars are wrought" - weird noise
More noises periodically from about 1:38 or so to the end

It was somewhat hard to understand some words throughout, but I think that's partly due to not reading the words very clearly (which is usually not a problem, but the sound quality makes it worse). :hmm:

I'd say that if JayKitty listens, putting herself as a listener, and is happy with the sound quality, that's her choice. If it were my project, I wouldn't be happy releasing the section to the world - but that would be me. :)

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 17th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Got it, thanks for your opinion. So then, I'll let you make the final approval, JayKitty. If you're happy with this recording (which I'm guessing you are, or you wouldn't have marked it Ready for PL), then I'll give it a PL ok and won't mention the quality again, since you're obviously aware of it.

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 17th, 2019, 7:28 pm

It's okay, I can rerecord. I don't have enough money for a new mic, but I do have an old clip-on mic I used for my first few recordings I did here on LV. It isn't super high quality but it just might surpass the current quality, so I'll try it.
I was hoping to save it for a last resort, but as the quality is so incredibly bad on my recording I can use it and I think the quality should be better.
Sorry about that :|

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 17th, 2019, 7:46 pm

No worries, it's really your choice! I want you to be happy with your finished product. :)