Solo: The Juvenile Bible - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 17th, 2018, 8:54 pm

The Juvenile Bible by Anonymous

This is a Bible for kids, each book being a short summary in poetry. For the cataloguing process, I'll revise this summary. (JayKitty76)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52146
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Juvenile Bible. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Juvenile Bible, by Anonymous. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Juvenile Bible by Anonymous. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Juvenile Bible, by Anonymous. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename juvenilebible_##_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. juvenilebible_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below!
Last edited by JayKitty76 on January 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 18th, 2018, 1:18 pm

This needs an encouraging DPL...
Anyone welcome :)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 18th, 2018, 6:43 pm

So, to make sure everything is clear: you are NOT using the abandoned project's files, but are going to record it all yourself?

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 18th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Yes. Sorry for all the confusion :|

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 20th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Thanks, Devorah, that's awesome!
I'm sure you're a great DPL :)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 21st, 2018, 3:51 pm

This is set up.

I would suggest saying "Section [number]" rather than "Chapter [number]" in your intros and outros.

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » December 21st, 2018, 4:36 pm

I would second that. Even though this book isn't set up with chapter and verse, it could be confusing for people who are used to that structure.

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 21st, 2018, 5:54 pm

OK, will.do.Thank you both for your advice.

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 2nd, 2019, 1:25 pm

Tricia,
Can you please delete 1 section from the MW, making it 66 sections total?
I'm not planning to read the Preface and I apologize if I put it like that in the Project Template Generator.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 2nd, 2019, 1:26 pm

Done. I did wonder, knowing that the Bible is 66 books. ;)

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 2nd, 2019, 1:26 pm

Thanks! Much appreciated :thumbs:

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 2nd, 2019, 1:41 pm

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 2nd, 2019, 1:45 pm

Don't forget to add the section titles to the MW, and also the file length (mm:ss) into the Notes field. :)

What do you mean by "with a little editing work done"? You don't have to put "ready to PL" in the Notes field; it shows up in the Status column. ;)

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 2nd, 2019, 5:36 pm

TriciaG wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 1:45 pm
What do you mean by "with a little editing work done"?
I'm a little unsure what that meant, too. I went ahead and had a listen, assuming you meant that you'd already done the "little editing work." I also took the liberty of entering the run time in the MW as it would normally be done, as an example.

I have one suggestion, but it's completely optional what you do with it. At the very beginning of the ebook, the following note is given:
The original text makes heavy use of the "long s" character. These have been replaced with the ASCII "s".
I don't know if you're familiar with the "long s," but it is quite common in old books. It is an "s" that looks an awful lot like an "f". I mention it because of line 15: "A numerous feed is promised." Genesis 15 is when God promised Abraham a numerous seed, so I strongly suspect that this is an instance where the transcribers accidentally kept the f[eed] and it should be s[eed]. If you choose to leave it as is, though, that's completely fine. But I wanted to point it out, because "feed" didn't make much sense to me.

I saw that you asked in the help forum about how to improve your recordings, and I hope you don't mind me offering my two cents here. I didn't hear any mouth clicks in this, or none that got my attention anyway, so I don't think you need to worry about that too much. I did hear some inconsistent background noise throughout. Not the kind of background noise that can be cleaned out, in other words. It sounds like some kind of clattering. Was there a family member moving around and doing things while you were recording? Or do you have a pet bird/rodent/cat/something that was playing and moving? I think that if you can find the source of those noises and stop your mic from picking them up somehow, and maybe slow down your pace a tiny bit, that would go a very long way for you. :)