Complete - Priče iz davnine Ivane Brlić Mažuranić-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jospe

Post by jospe »

Priče iz Davnine Ivane Brlić Mažuranić (1874 - 1938).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/price-iz-davnine-by-ivana-brlic-mazuranic/
Priče iz davnine, glasovita zbirka od osam pripovijetki-bajki Ivane Brlić-Mažuranić, u kojima je autorica ostvarila svoj književni vrhunac. Zbirka je objavljena 1916. u izdanju Matice hrvatske, a drugo izdanje doživljava 1926.

Radnju pokreću likovi iz pretkršćanske, slavenske mitologije, koje je Brlić-Mažuranić, inače i dvostruka kandidatkinja za Nobelovu nagradu za književnost, stilizirala davši im određene osobine. Posluživši se oblikom bajke i fantastičnim elementima, stvorila je autonomni svijet davnine u kojem se mitski svijet spaja sa secesijski stiliziranom slikom vremena, prostora, likova i događaja. Prvo izdanje je imalo šest priča, a u drugom izdanju su dodane još dvije.

Croatian Tales of Long Ago (Croatian: Priče iz davnine), is a short story collection written by the acclaimed children's author Ivana Brlić-Mažuranić (sometimes spelled as "Ivana Berlić-Mažuranić" in English), originally published in 1916 in Zagreb by the Matica hrvatska publishing house. The collection is considered her masterpiece and it features a series of newly written fairy tales heavily inspired by motifs taken from ancient Slavic mythology of pre-Christian Croatia.

Croatian Tales of Long Ago are seen as one of the most typical examples of her writing style which has been compared by literary critics to Hans Christian Andersen and J. R. R. Tolkien due to the way it combines original fantasy plots with folk mythology. (Wikipedia)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://digitalnezbirke.kgz.hr/?object=info&id=18603
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book: fairy tale, slavic mythology, croatian, children literature

============================================
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    POČETAK snimke (Uvod):
    • "Priča [redni broj] iz Priče iz davnine. Ovo je LibriVox snimka. Sve LibriVox snimke su u javnoj domeni. Za više informacija ili da bi volontirali, posjetite: librivox TOČKA org."
    • Ako želite, recite:
      "Snimio/Snimila [vaše ime], [mjesto, vaš blog, podcast, web stranica]"
    • Recite:
      "Priče iz davnine Ivane Brlić Mažuranić. [Naslov priče]"
    Za drugi i sve slijedeće odlomke, možete koristiti skraćenu formu uvodnog disclaimer-a:
    • "Priča [redni broj] iz Priče iz davnine Ivane Brlić Mažuranić. Ovo je LibriVox snimka. Sve LibriVox snimke su u javnoj domeni."
    • Ako želite, recite:
    • Ako je odgovarajuće, recite:
      "[Naslov priče]"
    KRAJ snimke:
    Na kraju odlomka, recite:
    • "Kraj priče [naslov priče]"
    • Ako želite, recite:
    Na kraju knjige nadodajte još:
    • "Kraj knjige Priče iz davnine Ivane Brlić Mažuranić"
    There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename priceizdavnine_##_mazuranic_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. priceizdavnine_01_mazuranic_128kb.mp3) [Be sure not to use any accented characters in the filename - our system doesn't like them.]
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Josip,

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up and be back with further instructions.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

If you would like to read the intro and outro in Croation, that would be fine, except we would need you to translate it for us. If you want to post it in the thread, I'll update the first post for you and also put the translation over here so we have it for future reference.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
jospe

Post by jospe »

Hi MaryAnn, thanks a lot for the info!
Here is are the intro and outro for this particular book:
POČETAK snimke (Uvod):
  • "Priča [redni broj] iz Priče iz davnine. Ovo je LibriVox snimka. Sve LibriVox snimke su u javnoj domeni. Za više informacija ili da bi volontirali, posjetite: librivox TOČKA org."
  • Ako želite, recite:
  • Recite:
    "Priče iz davnine Ivane Brlić Mažuranić. [Naslov priče]"
Za drugi i sve slijedeće odlomke, možete koristiti skraćenu formu uvodnog disclaimer-a:
  • "Priča [redni broj] iz Priče iz davnine Ivane Brlić Mažuranić. Ovo je LibriVox snimka. Sve LibriVox snimke su u javnoj domeni."
  • Ako želite, recite:
    "[Naslov priče]"
KRAJ snimke:
  • "Kraj priče [naslov priče]"
  • Ako želite, recite:
  • "Kraj knjige Priče iz davnine Ivane Brlić Mažuranić"
And here the general one for future reference:
POČETAK snimke (Uvod):
  • "Poglavlje [redni broj] iz [naslov knjige]. Ovo je LibriVox snimka. Sve LibriVox snimke su u javnoj domeni. Za više informacija ili da bi volontirali, posjetite: librivox TOČKA org."
  • Ako želite, recite:
  • Recite:
    "[naslov knjige] [autora]. [Naslov poglavlja]"
  • "Poglavlje [redni broj] iz [naslov knjige] [autora]. Ovo je LibriVox snimka. Sve LibriVox snimke su u javnoj domeni."
  • Ako želite, recite:
    "[Naslov poglavlja]"
KRAJ snimke:
  • "Kraj poglavlja [naslov poglavlja]"
  • Ako želite, recite:
  • "Kraj knjige [naslov knjige] [autora]"
The titles of the sections should also already be there.
Cheers, -J
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Excellent! thank you.
And we'll move over to "going solo".
MaryAnn
jospe

Post by jospe »

Fist section uploaded.
Do we have a PL yet?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

That's great!

No PLer yet. Would you like to post an advert? The template is here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_Template

And the forum to post in is here: viewforum.php?f=21

I'm not familiar with Croatian - are there any similar languages we might be able to recruit a PLer from? For example, I know enough German that I can do a standard PL in Dutch as long as I follow along with the text. Any languages close enough with Croatian that this is also a possibility?

MaryAnn
jospe

Post by jospe »

Ok, I posted the advert.

I believe anyone who speaks/understands Bosnian, Serbian and even Macedonian or Slovenian could follow and spot inconsistencies between the text and the audio. Is it possible to be one's own PLer? :P
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

It is possible but discouraged. Let's see how things go before we consider that path.

MaryAnn
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Josip :) remember me from the Dante project ? It's cool that you started a book in Croatian :thumbs:

I just had a listen to the first 5 minutes, just to see whether I would be able to follow along with the text. I don't speak Croatian, but I learnt a bit of Russian and to my surprise many words sound very similar so that I can even guess the meaning of some sentences. And I love listening to new languages :9: Your reading is not too fast and very clearly enunciated, so this makes it easy for me to follow the written text.

I feel confident that I can PL this section and find any errors that may have slipped in. The first three pages were absolutely flawless, at least, nothing that I think will change meaning.

I'll continue with the section and let you know the result in about an hour :)

Keep up the good work !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok I listened to the whole story. I'm not pretending that I understood the whole thing, but I got some parts right I think. I had the feeling it was a sort of fairy tale, at least your narrative and the many repetitions in the story gave me that vibe. Seems to be about 3 siblings, I think one girl and two brothers and their old grandfather. And he told them a story about an old stone ? :hmm: The word "kamen" was often repeated, and that's Russian for stone. Seems like Potjeh was searching for the stone while Marun and Liutisa stayed at home with the grandfather. At least that is what I think I understood :lol:

Anyway, your reading was really nice to listen to, even if I didn't understand it all. :thumbs: You're a very good narrator.

On the whole, you were reading it word-perfect, I only found a few things that I want to note down.

> I notice you left out all the sub-chapter numbers. Not sure how important this is, but I think, if it was my solo, I would have kept the numbers. The author divided the story for a personal reason I think, and imagine, if he had given the sections a title instead of simply a number, you would probably have included it too. But I guess it's optional. (MaryAnn, do you agree, or does that infringe our "not changing the text" policy ?)

Well in case you want to include the numbers, I noted down the time stamps, so you can find them easily:
> at 0:25: I
> at 10:14: II
> at 17:00: III
> at 24:14: IV
> at 29:28: V
> at 31:37: VI
> at 43:05: VIII - for some reason chapter 7 is missing :? there are no missing pages, so I hope it's only a typo in the book and this should be chapter 7. But it might be an idea to check with another source, if you have one, if maybe part of the text is missing

and I found two things which can get corrected easily:

> at 12:42: (p. 8) repeat “hajde žurno, hajde” – can be cut out once

> at 19:56: (p. 11) missing word underlined: “tako se spusta i hohoce luda družba dva tri puta – as I don't speak the language, I am not sure if the word “luda” is important here, I let you decide if it changes the meaning of the sentence, then you could maybe insert it

That's all. Well done, Josip !

Sonia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Sonia!

I think it is Josip's choice whether to read the numbers or not. I generally do in my solos as well because it seems to tell the listener that there is a pause, or a change, which they may not hear if the text continued on.

We'd love to have you continue listening when you have time.

MaryAnn
jospe

Post by jospe »

Hi Sonia, so nice to see you here! Thanks for helping out!

The first story is about three boys (Potjeh, Marun and Ljubiša) who end up seeing a sort of divinity called Svarožić while wandering around. He shows them the whole world and tells them how to live a happy life. Another divinity called Bjesomar (Wrath-dude, bad guy) is at odds with Svarožić, but also with the boys' grandfather Vjest. When Vjest asks his grandsons to tell them what they saw and heard, they cannot remember, and incited by Bjesomar's minions, little devil-like creatures (bjesovi, "wraths"), Marun and Ljutiša lie instead of telling the truth and, as a consequence, get possessed by the bjesovi. Potjeh is the most righteous of the three and manages to resist his bijes's persuasions. He admits he forgot, and does not get possessed by the bijes, however his bijes still follows him around, distracting him from remembering the truth. Potjeh leaves to find peace in solitude and with it the truth, but the bijes continues to bother him with his distractions and devilry that during one of his wicked games Potjeh falls into a well and dies. :(
Meanwhile, the possessed brothers cannot get along with the grandfather and eventually decide to burn down the house and with it the old Vjest. But Potjeh's bijes had gotten so used to Potjeh and has had the best time of his life bothering him that he starts deeply and loudly lamenting his death. The other bjesovi hear his cries and hurry to see what is going on with their mate, freeing thus Marun and Ljutiša. They realise what they have done, and run back home to save the grandfather.
Reunited, they all leave the house together to find Potjeh's resting place. Having found it, great white (paradise-like) halls appear in front of them. These are the abode of Svarožić, and the three see Potjeh waiting at the gates unable to join the happy crowd inside. Vjest then, sort of, leaves the earthly world, takes Potjeh with him, and together they ascend into the halls of Svarožić. Marun and Ljutiša go back and strive to live their life righteously. Bjesomar carries on being angry. -The End-

I wanted to make a short summary, but it turned out to be quite long XD

I will upload the corrected version very soon, along with the recording of the next story.

I thought about reading the chapter numbers, but since they don't really add anything to the story (except for a short break in the narration) in the end I decided to omit them. If they were descriptive titles I would have read them, but I believe they are there only to make the text more manageable and reader-friendly to the young target audience. Oftentimes there is no great shift in action, change of setting, or time manipulation to justify them. I tried to treat them as slightly longer paragraph breaks, as when you have, for example

or such markings between paragraphs.

Cheers,
Josip
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jospe wrote: January 9th, 2019, 8:44 amI wanted to make a short summary, but it turned out to be quite long XD
wow, ok I definitely didn't understand all these details. So why was the "kamen" mentioned so often ? In your summary there seemed to be no important stone :lol: maybe it means something else in Croatian.
Oftentimes there is no great shift in action, change of setting, or time manipulation to justify them. I tried to treat them as slightly longer paragraph breaks, as when you have, for example *** or such markings between paragraphs.
ok, it's not a problem :) you can leave them out then.

And yes, I think I can find some time to finish DPLing this project. If you're not in a hurry. Maybe you could give me a very short summary before I listen to the next story, then I would probably understand even more. :D

Sonia
jospe

Post by jospe »

Hello! I meant to post these updates earlier but I have been quite busy lately.

I fixed the first recording. It should be corrected now.
I also added the recordings for the next three stories.

Short summary of Section 2:
The fisherman Palunko is unhappy with his poor life. One day he vows to stay out on the open sea for three days and nights, vowing not to eat or drink or even catch fish, in hope that a higher power would notice his sacrifice. At the end of the third day a Dawn Lady emerges from the sea, and grants him a wish as a recompense for sparing the lives of her sea creatures. Palunko wishes for a happy and rich life, unlike the present poor one.
Back home, he is greeted by a recently orphaned girl, whom he consequently takes for wife. Palunko carries on fishing, in the evening the wife makes dinner out of mountain spinach, and after dinner tells him fantastic stories. Two years have gone by (relatively happily), during which they also have a child Vlatko, but the silly Palunko is still expecting to happen onto material riches of the King of the Sea, of which his wife was telling him in her stories. Furious, he decides to go and look for the King of the Sea and his riches and orders his wife to do the same. While searching, the child goes missing; the wife loses her voice out of sheer sadness. Eventually Palunko manages to meet the Dawn Lady again, and this time he wishes to reach the King of the Sea and its kingdom. The Lady shows him the way, and he ends up on the beaches of the Sea kingdom. The King of the sea and his people are very entertained by Palunko, and Palunko himself is happy until he finds out that his son Vlatko was taken by the sea maidens and made their prince.
Meantime, his poor wife is left alone without the husband and child. He is approached by the spirit of her deceased mother in the form of a hind. She tells her to feed and be kind to the snakes and seagulls that roam those parts, if she intends to ever see her family again. Eventually, she sets out on a boat to find her husband and is directed to cross three dangerous caves. The caves are guarded by the mother of all snakes, mother of all seagulls, and the mother of all bees, who let her pass because she has been kind to their children. Once on the clear, she casts her fishing rod, as she has been told, and manages to catch with it Palunko, who had managed to steal Vlatko and had made his way to escape the rich Kingdom of the King of the Sea. The servants of the King of the Sea pursue them, but they manage to escape with the help of the Dawn Lady, who had taken the kind and faithful wife in her favour.
Palunko learns his lesson, and they live in modesty and happiness thereafter.

It seems I am not very good at making summaries *short*. I'll add the summaries for Sections 3 and 4 later, and will try to actually make them short :D

I hope you will enjoy the reading.
Josip