SOLO The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » April 16th, 2019, 3:12 am

Shalott wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 8:48 am
So I got the first section finished sooner than I thought... I'm still not very confident in the french bit, but if you have any specific tips off of this one, I would appreciate it.
it sounds much better now :thumbs: I'm glad the soundfile helped. I think this is understandable now.

Sections 1 and 2 are now PL ok. So I guess you only corrected these PL notes and I only did a Spot PL. Let me know in case you changed anything else.

Great start, I'm really looking forward to hearing the entire story.

Sonia

Shalott

Post by Shalott » April 23rd, 2019, 1:19 pm

Hello!

Here is the final section for the repairer of reputations

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_03_chambers_128kb.mp3
length 32:10

Eva

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » April 24th, 2019, 12:27 am

Shalott wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 1:19 pm
Here is the final section for the repairer of reputations
wooooh, what a creepy finale :shock: This guy was really fully drifted off into madness and delusions of grandeur. The book is excellently written, I really enjoy it. So they are short stories, not really connected to each other ? I somehow thought it was one long story.

Well narrated again, Eva, thanks ! I only found two spot to correct:

> at 9:20: “When I turned into Bleecker Street, and entered the doorway which bore the sign—“ – you cut the words “the sign” by mistake it seems, but then the sentence is incomplete

> at 19:56: you jumped a line here. The underlined parts are missing: “The flowers and grass exhaled a fragrance which troubled me. The jet of the fountain played in the moonlight, and the musical splash of falling drops reminded me of the tinkle of chained mail in Hawberk's shop.”

Looking forward to the next story. 8-)

Sonia

Shalott

Post by Shalott » June 6th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Here's the edited version of section three

Length 32:17

Section 4
length 40:52

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_04_chambers_128kb.mp3

Let me know if I need to fix the french (probably do.....) and if there are any other problems

Eva

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 7th, 2019, 2:06 am

super :9: I've been waiting to hear a new chapter in this book.
Shalott wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 5:39 pm
Here's the edited version of section three
Length 32:17
this one is Spot PL ok now :thumbs:

I'll listen to chapter 4 now, if you wish I can do another French recording so you'll know what it should sound like. But I'll have a listen first.

Please: always update the MW when you have a new chapter ready. Put in the link to the recording and change the status to "Ready for PL". I did it now for this section.

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 7th, 2019, 3:20 am

Shalott wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 5:39 pm
Section 4
length 40:52
Let me know if I need to fix the french (probably do.....) and if there are any other problems
I knew someone would fall or get pushed into that pool when I started listening :shock: But it actually has a happy-ending, how cool. Well, except for Boris who killed himself. I liked this chapter very much. :9:

I have quite a few notes here, but most of it is quickly corrected and some things are optional. I let you decide if you wish to correct it all:

> you start a bit abruptly at the beginning, normally we advice to leave 0.5-1 second of silence, so nothing will get cut off in playback. Just mentioning it for maybe your future recordings

> at 0:40 / 10:38 / 17:38 / 33:01: you didn’t introduce with a number the I, II, III and IV subchapters. It’s optional though, so you can leave them out if you wish. But I wouldn’t have minded to keep these sub-chapters

> at 2:39: "There is one thing I'm curious about, I said” – you say “he said”

> at 5:54-5:56: between “which stirred the depths of my heart.” and “I was dreaming of Geneviève” – the pause is too long here, I got thrown out of the text when the reading stopped suddenly :?

> at 9:19-9:22: “J'avais bien l'honneur, madame," – I will do you a soundfile, because I did not understand it the way you said it. I will try to do it tonight, or at the latest tomorrow morning

> at 10:15-10:17: "À la bonheur!" – I guess this one could be understood, but I’ll make another soundfile of that bit as well, so you can decide for yourself

> at 12:53-15:55: there is that big white rabbit," he said, - again the pause could be shortened a bit, since it’s in the middle of a sentence

> at 17:37-17:41: between “when the maid came in” and “At noon next day”, even considering it’s a new subchapter, 4 seconds is way too long. :shock: I started wondering if anything was wrong with the audio ;) I personally think 1.5 seconds is long enough, and would definitely not exceed 2 seconds anywhere. See the subchapter number would come in handy to make a break here without long pauses ;)

> at 20:50: “I went and stood at her door.” – you said “I stood and went at her door.” which sounds a bit strange grammatically

> at 21:08: “At my first touch” – you say “at first my touch”

> at 33:00-33:04: between to fulfil his trust” and “The same evening” – again pause too lengthy

> at 39:32: "Put them back into the tank and tell me what you mean by interrupting me," I said. – you forgot “I said” – might be optional though, but just for clarification of who is speaking

great chapter again. Looking forward to the next.

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 7th, 2019, 8:00 am

and here are the two French sentences :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/french-kinginyellow.mp3

hope this helps

Sonia

Shalott

Post by Shalott » July 7th, 2019, 9:50 am

As always thank you for the french sound bites, I really appreciate them. I edited pretty much everything that you had listed, and shortened up some more silences that I found while editing. I did add the sub-chapter titles. I'm gonna try to do the next chapter sometime in the next week. I'm really enjoying this project and I'm glad you are too :)

Here is the edited chapter

Length: 40:44

Thanks!
Eva

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 8th, 2019, 3:47 am

Shalott wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 9:50 am
I edited pretty much everything that you had listed, and shortened up some more silences that I found while editing.
if you are doing any edits which I didn't mention in my PL notes, please always note me down the exact time-stamps where you made the corrections. I need to spot check there, whether there is not anything cut out by mistake. Otherwise I need to relisten to it all again. :? Could you maybe tell me where you made the additional cuts ?

Also I found one PL note that you forgot to correct:

> at 20:43: “I went and stood at her door.” – you still left “I stood and went at her door.”

All the other edits are perfectly corrected.

Thanks, and looking forward to the next chapter.

Sonia

Shalott

Post by Shalott » July 11th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Sorry about that I did the edits at the 10:30 time stamp, 22:36 and 26:12.

Here should be the most corrected version of section 4,

length 40 :44

thanks,
Eva

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 12th, 2019, 12:25 am

Shalott wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 12:12 pm
Sorry about that I did the edits at the 10:30 time stamp, 22:36 and 26:12.
ah glad you still remembered where you made the cuts. :9: Weren't as many as I feared now. Yes this is all good now. The sentence is also corrected, so this is PL ok.

looking forward to the next chapter

have a nice weekend

Sonia

Shalott

Post by Shalott » July 24th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Here's section five, I think you'll enjoy this one. It's pretty spooky

I'm gonna say sorry about the butchered french locations names. Let me know what I need to fix whenever you get time.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_05_chambers_128kb.mp3

Length: 22:18

Thanks for PL-ing !

Eva

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 25th, 2019, 12:33 am

Shalott wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 6:44 pm
Here's section five, I think you'll enjoy this one. It's pretty spooky
wooooo, yes indeed. From the moment that strange organist appeared the second time from the same spot, my goosebumps were coming out :? this is the sort of creepiness that I love in suspense stories. The highlight that it was a dream in the end (or was it ?) was quite expertly done. I like the style.
I'm gonna say sorry about the butchered french locations names. Let me know what I need to fix whenever you get time.
most of the names are quite ok, it doesn't matter if you say street names more "anglicized", one can still understand them. It's not comparable to actually speaking French sentences, where the accent would need to be more accurate to understand. I only found one name that I would suggest you change for better comprehension

> at 4:13: “lost none of their devout abstraction” – I hear something after this word, maybe “abstract patience” ? Not sure… :hmm: but it sounds odd in context. Could you maybe have a look at that part ?

> at 13:36: “the bois de Boulogne” – this word you maimed a bit beyong recognition because you inversed the letters ;) you say Loubong. The easiest way to explain the pronunciation is that it sounds almost exactly like the English words “bull-loin” ( :lol: ), stressed on the final syllable

> at 22:15: you have barely 3 seconds of silence at the end, instead of the standard 5

thank you for yet another interesting chapter :9:

btw I will be on holidays starting this Sunday...so probably won't be able to PL anything for the next 2 weeks. But till Saturday I'll still be around regularly.

Sonia

Shalott

Post by Shalott » September 10th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Hello, sorry it was so long between postings. I hope you had a good holiday.

Here is the updated section 5, I re-recorded the section at 4:13 and redid the name section, if you wanna double check that I got close, and added the end silence.

length: 22:20

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_05_chambers_128kb.mp3

and Section 6

Length: 44:30

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_06_chambers_128kb.mp3

this one is a long one, but it has a neat Easter egg in it :)

thanks,
Eva

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 11th, 2019, 2:20 am

Shalott wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Hello, sorry it was so long between postings. I hope you had a good holiday.
hey Eva ! welcome back :) yes my holidays were excellent. Minsk is a wonderful city. :9: I hope you had some time off for travels as well.
Here is the updated section 5, I re-recorded the section at 4:13 and redid the name section, if you wanna double check that I got close, and added the end silence.
yes thank you, this sounds much more accurate now :thumbs: PL ok.
this one is a long one, but it has a neat Easter egg in it :)
ok...Easter egg...now this makes me curious. Will have a listen right away 8-) Looking forward to this

Sonia