[COMPLETE][SOLO]The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shalott wrote: September 10th, 2019, 1:26 pmand Section 6
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_06_chambers_128kb.mp3
this one is a long one, but it has a neat Easter egg in it :)
:shock: oooh this is a creepy one. And the book is finally mentioned a bit more in detail. I really wonder what the text could be that would drive people crazy. :? I guess it will never be explained really in this book. But the "not knowing" also enhances the horror somehow. I really loved this story.

> at 28:41-28:54: “If I went away she might either fall ill, recover, and marry some Eddie Burke, or she might recklessly or deliberately go and do something foolish. On the other hand, if she tired of me, then her whole life would be before her” - ok I hear some bells jingling here in the background, is that the Easter Egg you were speaking of ? What happened here and why did you choose to leave them in ? :hmm:

Well, apart from that, there is no error at all in the text. :clap: Well done for such a huge section. I suppose you chose to leave the jingling in, so I won't put that up for PL notes. Anyway, it's not disturbing the understanding of the text, so it's ok. I'll mark it PL ok.

Good job ! Looking forward to the next chapter.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Shalott

Post by Shalott »

Hello!
Sorry for the gap again. The bells were not intentional (my cat likes to help me record sometimes). If it's bothersome I can record that bit again. The Easter egg is that the main character makes a reference to Castaigne, from one of the earlier short stories (I'm getting really entertained that these stories keep referencing other ones). I have a couple of the other stories pretty close to being uploaded, but they both have a chunk of french that I am less than confident on and was hoping I could get you to do sound bites of them. There's two in The Demoiselle D'Ys and one in the beginning of the street of the four winds. I'm gonna keep working around them so its at your leisure (thanks on all the help with that btw :clap: I really appreciate it.

Here's section 8

length: 7:34

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_08_chambers_128kb.mp3

I should be posting more here by the end of the week at the latest

Eva
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah a new chapter. Now this one was different than the others, it sounds to me more like they are short prose poems with all the repetitions in each section. A nice concept, quite entertaining. I do think that I prefer the longer chapters though. These may be snippets which have not been made into full stories yet. :hmm:
Shalott wrote: November 4th, 2019, 6:37 pmThe bells were not intentional (my cat likes to help me record sometimes). If it's bothersome I can record that bit again.
it's as you wish. I can understand the reading so it's not absolutely necessary, but if you like to have a clearer sound and if it was not intentional, then yes, I think I would re-record it if it was my solo. But it's up to you :)
The Easter egg is that the main character makes a reference to Castaigne, from one of the earlier short stories (I'm getting really entertained that these stories keep referencing other ones).

ah ok, yes I noticed that one too but didn't recognize it as easter egg. I somehow was expecting that there would be references, the whole concept of the book seems to me that it would have an underlying red thread working throughout. Yes, I also like such books. :9:
I have a couple of the other stories pretty close to being uploaded, but they both have a chunk of french that I am less than confident on and was hoping I could get you to do sound bites of them. There's two in The Demoiselle D'Ys and one in the beginning of the street of the four winds. I'm gonna keep working around them so its at your leisure (thanks on all the help with that btw :clap: I really appreciate it.

ah yes, I see the poems. No problem, I can do you a sound file for them all. Might be for the weekend, but I will make myself a note so I won't forget.
textually all is well but I think it would benefit from a bit of cropping on lengthy breaks. I would keep them under 2 seconds. 1.5 seconds is fully enough between paragraphs, anything over 2 seconds risks throwing the listener out of the story :?

> at 1:08-1:10: between "and a song" and "for whom then" – the pause feels too long

> at 5:36-5:39: between "yearning for her" and "stabbed": also here, nearly 3 seconds of silence could be trimmed quite a bit

> at 6:25-6:29: between "jingling in his cap" and "the green room": also here, less silence would be better, even if it is between two chapters

> at 7:12-7:14: between "that you love" and "said Love": I would cut a bit of silence here too because it's the same sentence and there is no need to make such a long break

> at 7:26-7:31: between "said Love" and "end of section 8": again the pause is way too long

> at 7:32: finally at the very end you only have 2 seconds of silence instead of the standard 5 ;) there you could add 3 more for once :lol:

> I think you forgot noise-cleaning for this section, there is quite a disturbing underlying buzzing underneath. I would run one round of noise-cleaning to make the sound a bit clearer

thank you :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

here is already the poem from the Four Winds section:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/fourwinds-french.mp3

a very beautiful poem :9:

Working on the demoiselle d'Ys now....

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here is demoiselle d'Ys:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/ys-french.mp3

I included the random French words I could find in the text, I hope I didn't miss any

Hope this helps :) good luck

Sonia
Shalott

Post by Shalott »

Hey Sonia,

here's the updated version of section 8. I did all the sound cuts and the sound cleaning as well. I go back and fix section six, (hopefully tomorrow)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_08_chambers_128kb.mp3
length 7:52

I also have section 10 as well
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_10_chambers_128kb.mp3
length 15:58

Thanks so much for the sounds bites :) It makes things so much easier

Eva
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shalott wrote: November 11th, 2019, 6:31 pmhere's the updated version of section 8. I did all the sound cuts and the sound cleaning as well.
excellent, yes, now it sounds much better. :) PL ok.
the beginning of this story is not so foreboding yet as some others. Though of course the bomb-dropping doesn't promise a happy-ending :? Now who will die before the story is over ? :hmm:

Excellent reading again, I only have a couple of pauses to cut down a bit:

> at 4:46-4:48: between "Monsieur West's statues" and "I will bet": lengthy pause

> at 8:17-8:19: between "bed in the lodge" and "Père Cottard": long pause could be cut and at the same time, the click sound can get cut as well ;)

the rest perfect :thumbs:

thanks

Sonia
Shalott

Post by Shalott »

Hey,

Sorry it took so long, work has been crazy. :/

I have the edited section 10

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_10_chambers_128kb.mp3
length 15:55

and section 11

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_11_chambers_128kb.mp3

length 30:08

I have some time off this week, so I'm hoping to get some more done.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shalott wrote: November 24th, 2019, 3:03 pmSorry it took so long, work has been crazy. :/
no worries, I think you're still going at a good pace. :) you are giving regular updates, so that's quite all right. You don't need to rush through it. We have time.
I have the edited section 10 and section 11
super, Section 10 is now PL ok.

Section 11 has become quite dramatic now :shock: now I wonder whether Hartman will be saved. Still interesting.

Textually all perfect, but I have one spot where the pause is a bit too long:

> at 4:02-4:04: lengthy pause between "you always blow it in" and "I don't care a rap": could be cut a bit

The rest is excellent, thank you so much :)

Sonia
Shalott

Post by Shalott »

Hello!

Here's the edited chapter 11

length 30:06

I also have the conclusion of that story :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_12_chambers_128kb.mp3

length 31:44

let me know what needs edited !
Eva
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shalott wrote: December 9th, 2019, 6:02 pm Here's the edited chapter 11
length 30:06
chapter 11 is Spot PL ok :) will get to chapter 12 soon.

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shalott wrote: December 9th, 2019, 6:02 pm I also have the conclusion of that story :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinginyellow_12_chambers_128kb.mp3
length 31:44
:shock: wow I was seriously holding my breath by the end of this story. I was totally sure that Sylvia would have died in the bombing. But to my relief there was a happy ending. :9: Didn't expect that. Especially Part 3 was quite hard to swallow, with all the shocking scenes in the trenches :(

An excellent story. I only found one tiny textual error, which might benefit from correcting:

> at 8:00: "She helped him buckle his knapsack" – you said "he" but it's the girl who helps him

well done, thanks. Looking forward to the next part :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

everything ok ? Haven't heard from you in a while. I hope all is well, please let me know a short update, if you can :)

All the best

Sonia
Shalott

Post by Shalott »

Hey Sonia,

I'm so sorry for not replying to you or posting earlier. :shock: I had a bit of a rough patch. I just saw the message and posting. Everything is fine now, and I'm planning on recording later this week or early next week. Sorry for worrying you. Time sort of slipped away from me.

Eva
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shalott wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:39 amI'm so sorry for not replying to you or posting earlier. :shock: I had a bit of a rough patch. I just saw the message and posting. Everything is fine now, and I'm planning on recording later this week or early next week. Sorry for worrying you. Time sort of slipped away from me.
glad to hear from you again :9: sorry you had a rough patch, and I hope all is sorted out now. Take it easy. There is no stress or time-limit on a solo, all I ask is a bimonthly update, to say you're still alive and interested ;)

but: looking forward to a new section of course 8-)

Have a good Sunday afternoon !

Sonia