COMPLETE [grp] For the Temple: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem By: G. A. Henty - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi MaryAnn--

I can sign on as DPL for this project if that works for 3200runner and for you.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

PM sent to reader.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
3200runner

Post by 3200runner »

Chapter 3 is done.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

3200runner wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 6:14 pm Okay, Chapter 2 is up. :)
Hi 3200runner--I listened to your Section 02. As far as the reading itself, I found only one slip that might change the meaning of the text for the listener:

--At ~12:49 the text shows “…and in repressing the turbulence” but I hear “…and in representing the turbulence”

Then we still have some technical things to correct.
--The file name is incorrect. It should follow the format shown in the instructions, which is forthetemple_##_henty_128kb.mp3. The number in the file name should be the Section #, so in this case it should be 02, not 01. And there should not be any capital letters in the file name or else something catastrophic happens behind the scenes. :)

(You will have to correct the file name for Section 03 also, but don't do that one yet. Let me PL the file first in case there are other corrections for you to make.)

--Your track is too loud at 94.4 dB, so I need you to de-amplify the track by -6 dB to bring it closer to our goal of 89 dB.

--We need 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.

Many of us who record here at Librivox use a very helpful tool called "Checker" on our tracks (myself included). It is a free program that you can download. It gives you information on the volume and other technical details so you can confirm that your file is within specs before uploading it. If interested, you can find information about downloading Checker and and a neat video about how to use it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

So upload the edited file using the correct file name. Post the link with the correct file name here in this thread (along with the new track length) and also in the MW--and then I'll take another look at it. Let me know if you have any questions. I will try to PL your Section 03 sometime later this evening or tomorrow.

EDIT: Since this is a solo project, I guess you don't have to post the link & length here in the thread as long as you get it in the MW. But please do post that you've gotten the correction made and uploaded so that I will know when to spot-check the file. Thanks!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

3200runner wrote: May 21st, 2019, 9:53 am Chapter 3 is done.
Hi again 3200runner--

I listened to your Section 03, and I have a few notes for you:
--At ~1:32 the text says “Our people resented this impious intrusion…” but I hear “Our people resented this impetus intrusion…”
--At ~3:10 the text says “A sword of fire…” but I hear “A fire of sword…”
--At ~9:24 the text says “…not only inhospitable, but impious” but I hear “not only inhospitable, but impetus
--At ~17:44 there is a stumble that you should be able to snip out easily “…aft-after we had set them the example”
--At ~19:48 there is a stumble “…slew the hund-four hundred”
--At ~32:04 There is no need to repeat the Librivox public domain disclaimer another time at the end of the recording. We only need “End of Chapter ____” as per the instructions in the first post here under the MW.

Also, on the technical side--
--The volume is high at 93.7 dB, so I need you to de-amplify by -4.5 dB to get close to our goal of 89 dB.
--Correct the file name so that it conforms to the instructions in the first post of this thread.
--We need 5 seconds of silence on the end of the recording.

Again, I would encourage you to listen to your completed recording from beginning to end while reading along with the text. It's all part of carefully editing our recordings before we upload them. Let me know when you have the corrected file uploaded, and I'll spot-check your edits. Give a shout if you have questions or need some assistance, and thanks again for your efforts with this book. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
3200runner

Post by 3200runner »

Okay, So I made the needed revisions to Chapter one. Thanks so much for going through and finding those errors. I swear I listened to it and followed along with the text, I can't believe I missed so many mistakes. The link to chapter one is updated and I should have chapters two and three done by tomorrow. My only concern is that I am not recording in the same place on the edits as I was originally so there is a noticeable change in the acoustics, but there isn't anything I can do to change that now. I don't think it is too bad though.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

3200runner wrote: May 30th, 2019, 8:36 pm Okay, So I made the needed revisions to Chapter one. Thanks so much for going through and finding those errors. I swear I listened to it and followed along with the text, I can't believe I missed so many mistakes. The link to chapter one is updated and I should have chapters two and three done by tomorrow. My only concern is that I am not recording in the same place on the edits as I was originally so there is a noticeable change in the acoustics, but there isn't anything I can do to change that now. I don't think it is too bad though.
Hi again, 3200runner--
I spot-checked the edited file, and I think that you did a great job with the corrections--they sound good. Thank you! :clap: Volume is now good, beginning/ending silences good. I found one correction that you missed (now at ~22:34 in the recording after all of the other corrections were made):

--At ~22:34 I hear “Simon admitted” but s/b “Solomon admitted”

Sorry I can't give you a more precise location in the text, but there aren't page #'s in the Gutenberg text. It is a single sentence paragraph that says: ""I thought so, at first," Solomon admitted, "but now our hand is placed on the plow, we must not draw back; and I believe that the God of our fathers will show his might before the heathen." Since this is part of a conversation between the Rabbi, Simon, and Solomon, maybe we should fix it so as not to confuse our listeners.

Also, since you are going to be uploading the file again, perhaps you could make a change to the Intro for me. You've started this track with the Book Title, but we generally start with the Chapter # or the Section # because this helps our listeners to quickly identify where they are in the book. The instructions say:

"Chapter [number] of For the Temple: A tale of the Fall of Jerusalem. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"For the Temple: A tale of the Fall of Jerusalem, by G. A. Henty. [Chapter number, title]"

If you want, you could start with "Preface and Chapter 1 of For the Temple: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org".

Or if you prefer, just start the recording with "Preface of For the Temple: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org" and then say "Chapter 1" when it appears in the text (as you did).

And then for all the subsequent chapters, you can use the shortened intro disclaimer (which also starts with the Chapter #) as shown in the instructions:

"Chapter [number] of For the Temple: A tale of the Fall of Jerusalem by G. A. Henty. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter number, title]"

So, please make the one edit for the correction that was missed, and also fix up the Intro for me. Post here again when you've gotten it uploaded, and I'll take one final look. And thanks again for all of the good work on the edits! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
3200runner

Post by 3200runner »

Okay so I fixed those last few spots on chapter 1 and uploaded 4 and 5.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

3200runner wrote: June 13th, 2019, 7:31 pm Okay so I fixed those last few spots on chapter 1 and uploaded 4 and 5.
Hi 3200runner--I spot-checked your file. Thank you for hanging in there with me on the corrections. :thumbs: And good job on Chapter 4 as well.

Section 01: PL OK
Section 04: PL OK

I might mention that there is one part of Chapter 4 that is quite loud compared to the rest of your track and has clipping in a couple of spots (from about 19:27-20:15), bringing it close to the upper edge of our acceptable volume. No need to upload again, but I wanted you to notice the variation.

You might be interested in checking out how to use the Compressor Effect in Audacity. It helps to level out the volume in a track if there are variations in volume. There are some short, helpful videos made by one of our members on this LibriVideo page https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos.
Near the bottom of that page there is a section about Editing with Audacity. You might check out the videos called "The Compressor Effect Explained" and "Some Parts of My Recording are TOO LOUD and others Too Soft". There are also some helpful explanations on our Librivox Wiki page if you prefer them instead of the videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

And when you have time, I need the link for Section 05 entered into the MW so that I can PL it. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi 3200runner,

Wondering if you could edit your 1st post (using the "pencil" icon) to remove the ~ in the subject line, which means you need a DPL. Since you already have one, it keeps DPLs from thinking you need one, and looking at your project to volunteer. :)

Thank you,
Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks DAC, it's fixed.
MaryAnn
3200runner

Post by 3200runner »

Okay, Chater 5 should be up in just a few minutes. Sorry for the delay.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

3200runner wrote: July 7th, 2019, 7:01 pm Okay, Chater 5 should be up in just a few minutes. Sorry for the delay.
No worries on the delay--all good. Thank you! :)

Section 05: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Reader was last active in the forums in July of 2019. I am marking this project as "abandoned" and it will be posted for another volunteer to adopt and complete.

MaryAnn
linny

Post by linny »

I am opening this as a group project.