[Complete] Rhyme? And Reason? by Lewis Carroll - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Rhyme? And Reason? by Lewis Carroll (1832 - 1898).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/rhyme-and-reason-version-2-by-lewis-carroll/

An 1883 selection of Lewis Carroll's satirical and comic verse. The collection ranges from the well-known and well-loved The Hunting Of The Snark, to lesser-known gems such as Phantasmagoria, a tale of the difficulties encountered by an inexperienced phantom in his first domestic haunting, and Hiawatha’s Photographing, a brilliant satire of Longfellow's The Song of Hiawatha. (Michael Maggs)

• Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33582/33582-h/33582-h.htm#Page_211
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Lewis Carroll) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Carroll
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Phantasmagoria_(poem)&_And_Reason?=#Rhyme?_and_Reason?
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 18 (including dedication)
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1868
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

START of recording (Intro):
  • "[Poem title] from Rhyme? And Reason? This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    "Rhyme? And Reason?, by Lewis Carroll. [Poem title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "[Poem title] from Rhyme? And Reason? by Lewis Carroll. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. "Recording by [your name]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of each section, say:
      "End of [Poem title]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Rhyme? And Reason?, by Lewis Carroll. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename rhymeandreason_##_carroll_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. rhymeandreason_01_carroll_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Hope this will work for my first solo effort. I may need a bit of help working out how to login to the MW.
Last edited by MichaelMaggs on March 28th, 2019, 8:09 am, edited 10 times in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I will set this up for you.
Back in a few minutes with the MW.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OK, all set.

I will walk you through, so nothing to worry about. I have added you to the list of BCs, so you now have a few superpowers 8-)

First of all, you can edit the first post, but you will only be able to edit projects you are BCing (that includes any solos you decide to do).

In the top right corner, you should see a pencil icon. That is for editing.

You can edit the subject... so if you want to remove the tilde, go ahead . I added it to advertise for a DPL.

You can also edit the first post.
Here are some edits you may want to consider (none are required, just something for you to decide):

Before cataloguing, you will need to add some 'blurb'. If you're not familiar with the book, you can always ask the DPL's help if you're not comfortable with that .

ID tags are optional. You can delete that whole section on ID tags if you wish. At cataloguing, the system overwrites anything you have typed in there, with its own Librivoxy information. Some readers like to enter tags, but, really, they are just typing practice.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password” (Note: If you had a password in the old Magic Window system, that old BC login for the Magic Window will not work here!!!)
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form.
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

To fill in the Magic Window...
You will see I've already added you as the reader.
You will need to enter the titles of the sections in the first column... I'm not sure how you were planning to break things up, but I got you started. If that's not how you were planning on doing it, no problem: just delete my typing and enter your own. Hit enter to complete each title.

When you enter a file, copy the url into the column "listen URL" and hit enter. Put the time in "notes" column... for some reason, you need to hit 'save' there. The column on the right is a drop-down menu, so just change that to "Ready for PL". You'll also want to put something in the thread to the effect of "section 1 ready for PL" to alert any DPL.

That should get you started. Any questions, please ask.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Hi Lynne, many thanks. I've managed to login as BC, and can access the MW.

One question: I now have two logins with the same username but different passwords. Obviously I use the BC one when I'm acting as BC on a project, but what about when I'm just a reader on another project? Do I need to switch between the logins, or can I just stay logged in using the BC password?
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Michael,
I'd love to be DPL on this!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

That would be wonderful. Thanks very much!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

MichaelMaggs wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 2:13 am Hi Lynne, many thanks. I've managed to login as BC, and can access the MW.

One question: I now have two logins with the same username but different passwords. Obviously I use the BC one when I'm acting as BC on a project, but what about when I'm just a reader on another project? Do I need to switch between the logins, or can I just stay logged in using the BC password?
You should be able to just stay logged in as a BC... to be honest, it's not something I think about. If I've been logged out and just want to post in a thread, I get prompted to enter my 'standard' password, but then need to enter my 'superpower' password to access the MW.

Adding Foon as DPL (DPLs have access to the MW, too) and moving to Going Solo.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Could I just check the intro wording? As the book isn't divided into numbered chapters, instead of reading

Chapter [number] of Rhyme? And Reason?

at the beginning and end of each section, would it be OK if I said

[Poem title] from Rhyme? And Reason?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

MichaelMaggs wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 1:18 pm Could I just check the intro wording? As the book isn't divided into numbered chapters, instead of reading

Chapter [number] of Rhyme? And Reason?

at the beginning and end of each section, would it be OK if I said

[Poem title] from Rhyme? And Reason?
Yes, that's fine. Or section #... your choice.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Hi Lynne

I've done the dedication, just to get myself started. Could you check that I've done it correctly, please? The BC login seems a bit confusing, as half the time it gives me an error message when I try to do anything. Am I right in thinking that I should login as BC, then go to the upload page from there and upload without using the normal librivox uploader login? That's what I did, and it didn't ask me for any upload login as it does for a normal reader.

Anyway, the dedication is at

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/rhymeandreason_00_carroll_128kb.mp3

and it's 1:34.

Boring intro done; now on to the fun bits . . .
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

MichaelMaggs wrote: November 26th, 2018, 3:31 pm Hi Lynne

I've done the dedication, just to get myself started. Could you check that I've done it correctly, please? The BC login seems a bit confusing, as half the time it gives me an error message when I try to do anything. Am I right in thinking that I should login as BC, then go to the upload page from there and upload without using the normal librivox uploader login? That's what I did, and it didn't ask me for any upload login as it does for a normal reader.

Anyway, the dedication is at

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/rhymeandreason_00_carroll_128kb.mp3

and it's 1:34.

Boring intro done; now on to the fun bits . . .
Everything looks good. I didn't listen... will leave that to Foon; but the MW looks right, the file looks right on the server (and I can see you had a previous attempt... I can easily delete that later) and it passes technical checks :thumbs:

When you get an error message (usually 'you are not authorized...') it means you have been logged out. Just close the page and try again. I'm not sure how often that happens... I think it's less than daily but more often than weekly (note to self: pay more attention :roll: )
Foon

Post by Foon »

The dedication is PL OK :thumbs:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian