[Complete] Rhyme? And Reason? by Lewis Carroll - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

If the sections are very short, you might consider combining chapters into sections... the validator can get 'huffy' if a load of sections are under 5 minutes.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Ah, OK, I didn't know that.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Michael,

All three poems are very nicely read, no comments on the reading!

One PL note for section 3: the volume is too high at 93.2 dB. We aim for 89 dB with an accepted range of 86-92. Could you lower the volume and reupload? (with new file name, see below)

One thing you might consider, they all have a very slight background hum. It's barely noticeable, so you could leave them as is, but I still wanted to mention it. Up to you!

Note for these 3 files: they do not follow the file name protocol you have in your first post. This should be:
  • rhymeandreason_##_carroll_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. rhymeandreason_01_carroll_128kb.mp3)
So, not including the poem title, but only the section number. Nice thing about this is that they stay in the right order when they're sorted alphabetically!
I don't know if Lynne can change this, or if you need to reupload. I'm marking them as "See PL notes" just to make sure the file name doesn't get overlooked. :)

Cheers,
Foon
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Foon wrote: November 30th, 2018, 1:38 pm Note for these 3 files: they do not follow the file name protocol you have in your first post. This should be:
  • rhymeandreason_##_carroll_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. rhymeandreason_01_carroll_128kb.mp3)
So, not including the poem title, but only the section number. Nice thing about this is that they stay in the right order when they're sorted alphabetically!
I don't know if Lynne can change this, or if you need to reupload. I'm marking them as "See PL notes" just to make sure the file name doesn't get overlooked. :)

Cheers,
Foon
I can change the file names. Foon's reason is correct: when it gets catalogued, the files are alphabetized (so carpetknyte will be before echoes). Numbering them gets around this provided you remember leading 0s.
Not to worry about these 3 though. I will fix them... just a few things to think about going forward.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

OK, thanks both. I'm away for a few days at the moment and will update as requested when I get back.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Thanks very much for the feedback. I've noted the file naming convention, and will make sure that I use sequential numbers for future uploads.

I've re-uploaded section 3, based on a target normalisation of 0 dB in ReplayGain. I hope that’s better. I would like to be able to use Checker, but since I updated my operating system to Mac OS 10.14.1 Mojave it no longer seems possible to install that tool.

You mentioned you could hear a slight background hum in all three of the recent recordings. I'd like my recordings to be as clean as possible and if there is any hum, no matter how slight, I would definitely like to get rid of it. I have a problem in trying to tackle it, though, in that not only can't I hear myself but I can't see anything corresponding to a hum using the Analyze | Plot spectrum tool in Audacity. Looking at the plot for Echoes, a don't see a mains hum peak or anything similar. Peak sound power is at -58 dB, at a frequency of 7 Hz, which should be far below lowest frequency detectable by the human ear (around 20 Hz). Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?

Edit: Looking at the spectra of some recordings by others, it does seem that they often don't have such high energy peaks at very low frequencies. Maybe that's causing some problems with mine, even if theoretically at frequencies too low to be heard. I'm going to do some experiments to see if I can find where a 7Hz peak comes from. Maybe laptop fan or hard drive? Or a freezer in the next room?
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Michael,
Sorry for the slow response! If you reupload a section that had PL notes, please mark the column in the MW as "Ready for spot PL"; that way your prooflistener knows it's ready to be checked again (and it will show up in the PL list on my reader page, and I won't overlook it :D )
The volume is good now for section 3 :thumbs:
Good to know, by the way, about Checker not working on Mojave... My computer's been bugging me to upgrade, but now I have another reason to postpone :lol:

I'm not sure about the Spectrum Tool (I've never used it myself!) but if you look at the track, it is visible. For example, I took this screenshot from your recording:
The selected area is silence and should be a pretty flat line, which it isn't ;) I had a quick try with noise reduction based on this selection, and that works well.

But! As I said before, it's barely noticeable, so if it's a hassle, it's nothing to worry about!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Many thanks. I haven't forgotten this but won't now have much time to get to it before Christmas. Will continue next month. Merry Christmas in the meantime!
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Just to let you know that I reported the 'damaged download' issue to Checker's developer, Chris Jennings. He's kindly updated the installer, and it now works with Mojave. The latest version is 0.96i (January 11, 2019), and it can be downloaded from here:

https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html
Foon

Post by Foon »

MichaelMaggs wrote: January 13th, 2019, 8:37 am Just to let you know that I reported the 'damaged download' issue to Checker's developer, Chris Jennings. He's kindly updated the installer, and it now works with Mojave. The latest version is 0.96i (January 11, 2019), and it can be downloaded from here:

https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html
Brilliant, thanks! I've haven't taken the plunge yet, but it's good to know that when I do, Checker won't fail me :D

Readers needed:
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Still here! Should be able to do some more next week.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Thanks for the comments on the background noise in tracks 2,3 and 4. I've re-edited those and have re-uploaded them under the same names:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/rhymeandreason_02_carroll_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/rhymeandreason_03_carroll_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/rhymeandreason_04_carroll_128kb.mp3

Hope they sound a bit quieter.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Section 01, Phantasmagoria, in Seven Cantos, ready for review and PL.

Michael
Foon

Post by Foon »

Sections 2-4 are Spot PL OK :thumbs:

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Section 1 is PL OK!

Excellent reading, and what an absolutely adorable story! :D

Readers needed: