COMPLETE In the Fourth Year: Anticipations for a World Peace-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I had an unexpected time slot free this afternoon, so was able to listen to these.
Reading is PL OK and volume good.

I'm just having a hard time keeping the sections straight because of the way you're still naming the files. What you have as section is actually Section 09. Each section should be numbered consecutively from 01 (except for the 00 preface) even if they don't line up with the sections or chapters as they are read.

In these cases, where chapters have to be divided, I find it more useful in reading to call them Chapters, or Chapter part a, etc which avoids some of the confusion with the internal section numbering. But, that's just my personal approach. In any case, all of these section will have to be renamed before they are compiled in the finished work. Our kind BC says she can take care of what we have in that process, but I would recommend, going forward, at least, to match the file names with the sections correspond to.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the book with your fine narration!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
jfschuurman

Post by jfschuurman »

I'm confused. In her note on 15 November at 8:15 Mary Ann seemed to say that keeping each sub-part of section 5 as a section was how the system could beat handle it.
There's got to be a place ahead where men ain't low down and cards are played fair. If there ain't, what are all the songs about? (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jfschuurman wrote: November 20th, 2018, 10:36 pm I'm confused. In her note on 15 November at 8:15 Mary Ann seemed to say that keeping each sub-part of section 5 as a section was how the system could beat handle it.
Well, maybe I should stay out of the discussion and let her clear this up.
I'm just the DPL here.

But, it is true that each sub-part of section 5 becomes a separate section, but then the numbering of the sections, has to remain consistently in order. So that the file name for 5a is 05, then 5b is section 06, and 5c section 07. Then Chapter 6 is named file 08 as it lines up in the MW. The compiler will then sort them in numerical order properly. So, it is true that the chapter numbers and section numbers don't match, but they will still be in the proper order.

I've seen projects with multiple long chapters that have to be divided, so by the end, the last chapter, say Chapter 20c, may actually be Section 37 in the MW, and named accordingly.

So, that's my last two-cents worth.
Back to my earphones. :wink:
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

When the project is finished, and ready to put in the catalog, I will be able to renumber the files with names 5a, 5b and 5c as 05, 06 and 07. So you don't need to upload new versions of those files with corrected file names.

Larry in correct, the file names will all match the section numbers in the MW when this is put in the catalog . . . so Chapter 20 part 3 of a project may actually be section 37 in the MW, with a file name of 37.

Split chapters can be pretty confusing to deal with. We'll get this sorted. It is your first project after all and you are throwing in split chapters right off the bat! -- Which is to say, you are doing great!

MaryAnn
jfschuurman

Post by jfschuurman »

Hi Larry,
I think I am near to finished. I posted sections 12 (ch 10) and 13 (ch 11) this morning
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/4thyearanticipations_12_wells_128kb.mp3
26:29
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/4thyearanticipations_13_wells_128kb.mp3
12:10

I am also reposting sections 5-10 (but am having some difficulty with a syntax error) with the section name and chapter name and file name adjusted as I am understanding it should be.

I will soon post sections 10 (ch 8) and 11 (ch 9)
There's got to be a place ahead where men ain't low down and cards are played fair. If there ain't, what are all the songs about? (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)
jfschuurman

Post by jfschuurman »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/4thyearanticipations_10_wells_128kb.mp3
24:46
https://librivox.org/uplo ads/maryannspiegel/4thyearanticipations_11_wells_128kb.mp3
30:21

I do believe that is the sum of my work on this project. Please advise If i am wrong.
I greatly enjoyed the book and the reading. Remarkably timely.
I will look forward to doing more reading in 2019.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Great!

Tomorrow we are closing on the house in NH, with the move the following weekend, and my older daughter and he husband arrive tomorrow from CA for a surprise weekend visit. But, I'll PL this as I am able.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Grabbed a few minutes to listen to Section 10.
PL OK.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PL Notes for Section 11

Missed edits at 17:51 and 18:34
A bit of noise at the end that you might want to clean up.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

And, the final two sections are PL OK.
So, pending your corrections, we'll be able to wrap this up.
Sorry for the delay here at the end, but it has been a most enjoyable journey!
~ Larry
jfschuurman

Post by jfschuurman »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/4thyearanticipations_11_wells_128kb.mp3
Thanks for the PLing and for the catches. I got them cleared up this morning and reposted 11.
So that should be a wrap.
Not having taken a solo project all the way through before I am not sure what happens next. I had better read again the instructions.
The book was certainly an interesting take on the great hopes (alas unrealized) for lasting world peace at the end of the Great War. It also was fascinating to read such laudatory thoughts on the American Electoral College from the insightful British progressive H.G. Wells. He has given me new appreciation of the "American Experiment" and of the wisdom of Woodrow Wilson too. Lastly, the project rekindled some much needed optimism in me as I view the current ramshackle state of US domestic politics and its lurching leadership in international affairs.

jfschuurman
jfschuurman

Post by jfschuurman »

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Once Larry confirms the corrections, I'll take care of putting this in the catalog.

As soloist, you do have the option to pre-claim the cover, if you would like to make it yourself. Or you can let one of our talented cover makers handle it.

MaryAnn
jfschuurman

Post by jfschuurman »

I am very happy to let someone with talent for cover making do the cover. Thanks.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Excellent! Now PL OK and a completed project.
Thanks again for the fascinating and well read book!
The is a lot more to H.G. Wells that most people realize.

I'd be glad to PL any future projects that you might undertake, Jim!

Thanks for your oversight MaryAnn.
~ Larry