[COMPLETE] - Travels in New Zealand by Ernest Dieffenbach - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Travels in New Zealand with contributions to the geography, geology, botany, and natural history of that country, Vol. I by Ernest Dieffenbach (1811 - 1855).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/travels-in-new-zealand-by-ernst-dieffenbach/
“Let the reader imagine a deep lake of a blue colour, surrounded by verdant hills; in the lake several islets, some showing the bare rock, others covered with shrubs, while on all of them steam issued from a hundred openings between the green foliage without impairing its freshness: on the opposite side a flight of broad steps of the colour of white marble with a rosy tint, and a cascade of boiling water falling over them into the lake!”

Such is Ernest Dieffenbach’s description of his first glance of the White Terraces in Lake Rotomahana, see cover image.

Johann Karl Ernst Dieffenbach (aka Ernest) traveled to New Zealand between 1839 and 1841 employed by the New Zealand Company as naturalist. He traveled in the Marlborough Sounds at the top of the South Island and extensively throughout the North Island at an early time in European settlement. In Volume I of “Travels in New Zealand” he describes his travels, integrating his observations of the natural world with the progress of colonisation, and a humane account of the Māori people that he met and their culture, settlements and inter-tribal politics. He made an important contribution to the early knowledge of the New Zealand flora and fauna, with his collections eventually being lodged in the British Museum and the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

Note: Māori words have been pronounced as spelled in the text, which is occasionally different to modern spelling and pronunciation.
(summary by Gail Timmerman-Vaughan)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/travelsinnewzeal01diefrich/page/n5
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: uBqmUM7K

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Johann Karl Ernest Dieffenbach) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Dieffenbach

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 29
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1843
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Nature; *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography; *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography/Exploration

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Travels in New Zealand with contributions to the geography, geology, botany, and natural history of that country, Vol. I. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Travels in New Zealand with contributions to the geography, geology, botany, and natural history of that country, Vol. I, by Johann Karl Ernest Dieffenbach. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Travels in New Zealand Vol. I by Ernest Dieffenbach. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Travels in New Zealand Vol. I, by Johann Karl Ernest Dieffenbach. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename travelsinnewzealand1_##_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. travelsinnewzealand1_01_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by gailtv on May 1st, 2019, 2:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

The DPL for this project is craigdav1.
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Leaving a cookie crumb.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All setup - I shortened the filename greatly and suggested you read a shortened project name in all but the first saying.
The second part is optional, but the filename was too big to use

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Anne -

Thanks! So super speedy.

Thanks for shortening the title for the 2nd and subsequent Chapters. I almost did that when editing the html code but thought I would leave that executive decision to you.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Good morning -

Section 1, Preface and Chapter I, has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/travelsinnewzealand1_01_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3
31:53.8, 90.8 dB

Thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Section 2 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/travelsinnewzealand1_02_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3
23:26.1, 89.4 dB

Thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

2 PL OK!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Good morning (NZ time) -

Here is Section 03.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/travelsinnewzealand1_03_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3
21 min 29.0 sec, 89.7 dB.

Thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

3 PL OK.

Good evening (Chi time)
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again --

I've uploaded Section 04.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/travelsinnewzealand1_04_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3
20 min 46 sec, 89.4 dB.

Speaking of Chi time - is Turkey Day this coming Thursday or next?

Thanks for listening. It may be a couple of weeks before the next installment -- quite busy for the next couple of weekends, which includes going to Marlborough (Cloudy Bay) but not to Ships Cove (Queen Charlotte Sound).

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4 PL OK.

T-Day is the 22nd. I will be traveling quite a bit starting on the 22nd (until January) and I may be offline some days.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Section 05 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/travelsinnewzealand1_05_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3
20:51.4, 88.9 dB

I hope it is OK.

Cheers, and thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

5 PL OK.

Hope your travels were as enjoyble as mine (missed a snowstorm).