[COMPLETE]SOLO Stories of the Scottish Border by Mr and Mrs William Platt - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

fiddlesticks wrote: February 7th, 2019, 10:34 am They were from this batch of chapters. I have them all downloaded so I will just run them all through the checker again :)
:thumbs: saves me the trouble to download

thanks

Sonia
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Section 14 has a repeat at 3:51 "so Douglas and his men..."
Sections 19, 21, and 23 all need to be de-amplified by about -3 or -4
Sections 15, 16, 17, 18, and 22 are PL OK!
~Tiffany
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/storiesofthescottishborder_24_platt_128kb_data.mp3

So, do I enter -3 in the box on Checker?

Thanks

Judith
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jhiu wrote: February 8th, 2019, 11:34 am so, do I enter -3 in the box on Checker?
ah, no, Checker only checks the volume, but you have to amplify in Audacity. You are using that program, right ? If so, here is the step-by-step

> highlight your recording (with double mouse-click)
> go to Effect (in the upper menu bar)
> go to Amplify
> input -3 (don't forget the MINUS) in the first upper box (called: amplification dB) / don't change anything in the lower box !
> press ok

And then you'll see your "waves" will be noticeably less high. If you export to mp3 again and then check it again with Checker, it should give you a volume inside our limits now

let me know if you have any problems with this :)

Sonia
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

Thanks. I've done that with Section 24, but the file was renamed 'data mp3', even though I asked Audacity to replace the file.

It's now uploaded with the new name, since I couldn't work out how to revert to the old name.

Judith
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jhiu wrote: February 8th, 2019, 11:54 am I've done that with Section 24, but the file was renamed 'data mp3', even though I asked Audacity to replace the file.
It's now uploaded with the new name, since I couldn't work out how to revert to the old name.
:hmm: I'm not really sure what you mean ? could you send me the link that you uploaded ?

To rename an mp3 file you simply go into the folder where you saved the mp3 file and if you once click on the name, the field should be editable. Is that what you meant ?

Sonia
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

Mmhm. What I did was to reduce the volume, and then try to save the new quieter version. I couldn't save the data file with the same name, so I added the number 1. I then exported the file as usual, and that's when what was exported had 'data' in the name. I did try to change the name, but it wouldn't play. Will try again tomorrow. Tonight I didn't have much time. J
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jhiu wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:47 pmMmhm. What I did was to reduce the volume, and then try to save the new quieter version. I couldn't save the data file with the same name, so I added the number 1. I then exported the file as usual, and that's when what was exported had 'data' in the name. I did try to change the name, but it wouldn't play.
I'm not sure we are talking about the same file here.

When you record and save in Audacity it will save two things: a file with an .aup extension and a folder with the same name with a _data extension. So in the place on your computer where you save your recordings, you should always see a file with a yellow folder in front of the name and a file with the blue Audacity headphones in front of the name. Have you noticed that ? These are the initial Audacity savings of your file, and those names you should never manually change.

But: if you export your file to mp3 from Audacity, then you'll get a third file for the same recording, this time with an .mp3 extension on the name and a different icon in front of the file name. This is the mp3 file that you always upload to LV and this name you can manually change in your computer folder if you wish.

Is this a bit clearer to you now ? I think what may have happened is you opened your mp3 file, decreased the volume and then wanted to save it again as Audacity file. Since you already used the same file-name before for your initial Audacity recording, it wouldn't let you name it the same way, so you had to tuck a 1 at the end. But what you could have done is export the amplified file immediately to mp3, without saving first in Audacity. It would have given you a warning that you are about to over-write a previous file, but you could simply have pressed OK and then the new mp3 file would have replaced the old file. That's how I do it.

The best thing to correct errors in your recordings is this however: open your Audacity file (not the mp3 file) and change things there, then you can press "save" and it will save with the same file name, because you are still in the same file. And once you're done, you can re-export into mp3, like before.

If there are still questions, don't hesitate to ask. It may seem confusing now, but with practice you'll get into a routine soon. You just need to be aware that for a finished mp3 file, you will have 3 different files in your document folder (at least if you are using Audacity).

Sonia
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

Sonia, thank you for your patience!

How do you carry all that info in your head?

Judith
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jhiu wrote: February 9th, 2019, 11:23 amSonia, thank you for your patience!
How do you carry all that info in your head?
no worries, I've never forgotten my initial troubles. ;) And I know all this now because of trial and error and lots and lots of repeat and practice. :)

Sonia
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/storiesofthescottishborder_26_platt_128kb.mp3

Yet another jolly tale of betrayal and bloodshed, and many more to come. To think this was written for children!

Hope this is nearer the optimum volume, and that I've uploaded the final adjusted copy.

J
Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »

Jhiu

Post by Jhiu »