COMPLETE Short stories (Early works 1837-1852) - Gaskell-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Section 6 has 3 notes, none of which require a mic!

17.06-17.10
…and see how m- and see how many wild flowers you can bring me home…

18.58-19.03, repetition
…and can hardly know what summer is like, and can hardly know what summer is like, I think.”

33.29-33.32, stumble
It was very st- It was very stiff…

That's a shame about the roadworks. I hope drivers in your corner of NSW learn more patience and/or the works finish soon. The street I live on has two men who own leaf blowers and use them for anything that gets in their way, not just leaves. It's unintentionally comic in the way it comes across as competitive use of unnecessary power tools, but it does mean that my LV career has periods of being in fits and starts!
Newgatenovelist

A few notes for section 3:

15.12-15.17
…which varied Libbie’s life before she accomplished [heard accompanied] her purpose.

19.16-19.20
…so I just picked a few out o’ my lad’s [heard dad’s] school books.

19.22-19.26, repetition
…to say Jupiter as to say Jupiter as Dicky.”

25.43-25.47, self-correction
…those- whose all was ventured in so frail a bark.

48.29-48.30, truncation
…where was he — what was he now? [heard …where was he […] now?]

I'm really glad you're doing these. ECG's novels are read (and just more readily available in print), and rightly so, but her short fiction really shows how versatile she could be.

If the recording bug really won't leave you alone, or you just want to get something to fit in around those noisy motorists, I'd like to alert you to a short poetry project I'm doing on Legamus:
https://legamus.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4493
If you'd like to add your own version, great. If it's not for you, no worries!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Erin,

I have uploaded Chapters 3-7 with corrections and the final three ready for PL. Please take your time and apologies for uploading so much in one go. I am very restricted in terms of where I can upload files from at the moment and I am not sure why. At the moment I can only do it from my office at work, which is worrying because I am moving to part time at the end of the year and I won't have it any more!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/shortstories_08_gaskell.mp3 - 33:45
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/shortstories_09_gaskell.mp3 - 14:21
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/shortstories_10_gaskell.mp3 - 45:51

Phil
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

btw, there are only ten parts - we have some extra lines in the MW but nothing to put in them :D
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the heads up Phil. I've zapped the extra sections.
MaryAnn
Newgatenovelist

Section 3-7 are spot PL OK! I'm in transit tomorrow, so if you don't hear from me it's not for lack of interest. Gaskell is great and I want to listen!

A stupid question - is the uploading to do with the speed? If so, and this is a big series of ifs, if you have eduroam set up, would it be possible to stop off somewhere closer to home while out running errands anyway and just upload from there? Sneaky, but possible? Of course if your home internet is fine but doesn't like LV, then that's quite another matter!

I'm going to bin the files for the Morris project, which I've kept as backup, unless you say otherwise. It's all safely tucked away in the catalogue now!
Erin
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin.

Let's finish up here and then back to Nada the Lily...

Uploading. I am not sure what the problem is - maybe just Australia. As I said I have two internet connections - one IDSL and the other NBN (Anne will know what that is - it should be faster). They have always been slow but now they are slow to the point where a file can be uploading for several hours and then gets interrupted. But, yes, maybe the answer is the university wifi. I'll be working one day a week, so I'll have the facilities but no office or desktop computer.

Safe travels!

Phil
Newgatenovelist

Note for section 9 – 13.06, omission
…black as the raven’s wing, [and they found me in the morning] as you now behold me!

As for the problematic internet connection, I don't know what to tell you. I wish I did! Sometimes I have to resort to using a dongle. (Is this where I say 'back in my day...'?) The very loose idea that I had using eduroam was that, Sydney being the size it is, you might actually find it easier to pull in to another uni's parking lot (or something) while out running errands, or en route to somewhere else, rather than going to 'your' campus.

It's a shame it isn't more regular or reliable, but at least you can still sneak on to LV, hit it with some exciting fiction, then dash off like an audio bandit!
Newgatenovelist

Section 10 is PL OK!
Newgatenovelist

Two notes for section 8:

9.53-9.56, repetition
…(the land went- the land went to Johnnie of course)…

10.30-10.37, repetition
…and by-and-by, perhaps, some farm might be to l- some farm might be to let, within their means.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Haha! Yes I do feel like a bit like an audio bandit! Corrections done, I'll sneak over to Librivox to upload in a day or two!

One question I forgot to ask on Chapter 9. There is a sentence beginning 'Sabina felt assured...' that I read correctly, but I could make no sense of it. Can you? Or can you see an obvious typo? It is the same in all the versions I can see online. This link should take you straight to the page on google books.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=zlIbAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT3287&lpg=PT3287&dq=it+was+a+bitter+task+for+sabina+to+undertake&source=bl&ots=rfQ0_-Xzzo&sig=ACfU3U3D3RqfIPqbbT_Hs73YEamIPdBKPw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0xaXByqrlAhWEb30KHUiRAckQ6AEwAHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=it%20was%20a%20bitter%20task%20for%20sabina%20to%20undertake&f=false
Newgatenovelist

It's being a bit temperamental and not letting me see that google book page, but I'm looking at the passage on Adelaide and I assume it's the same mishmash. Yes, that did seem a bit confusing when I heard it. My best guess is that because it's about two women, the use of 'she' is where the confusion enters. I take it to mean that Sabina had, and performed, the painful duty of explaining the hereditary madness, but of course it could also be read as 'Mary St. Elan had, and executed, the painful duty of not marrying and having children'.

I'm also questioning if 'when' is a mistake for 'went'. How I understand this is marked in square brackets. I couldn't find the strikethrough button for the text, but delete 'when'!

...it was a bitter task for Sabina to undertake, but she did not shrink from performing it[. Mary St. Elan went <when>] peacefully away to a better world, bequeathing the mansion house and estate of St. Elan’s Wood to Sabina and her heirs.

Of any use?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Sections 8 & 9 corrected and ready for spot PL.

I thought about making the change below, but decided against it, so as to remain faithful to the original, warts and all! I am sure you are right, though, because this is the only way it makes sense. (or it could be 'but she did not shrink from performing it when [Mary St. Elan went] peacefully away', which would give the same meaning with only the one omission). Anyway, it's good to know that LV readers are not the only ones who leave bits of text out!
Newgatenovelist wrote: October 20th, 2019, 6:23 am ...it was a bitter task for Sabina to undertake, but she did not shrink from performing it[. Mary St. Elan went <when>] peacefully away to a better world, bequeathing the mansion house and estate of St. Elan’s Wood to Sabina and her heirs.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi MaryAnn,

I've been meaning to ask this for about two years! Could we correct a typo in the title on the LV and IA pages for the Household Words collection?

https://librivox.org/short-stories-1-by-elizabeth-cleghorn-gaskell/

It says (1850-1851), but it should be (1850-1858), as in the second line of the summary.

Thanks!

Phil
Newgatenovelist

Regarding leaving text out, who knows? This error could have crept in at any stage of the original process or the modern digital one. That's one of the mysteries of publishing!

Sections 8 and 9 are spot PL OK. This project is ready to be catalogued. Well done, and hearty thanks for making more of Gaskell's short fiction available!
Erin