[COMPLETE]Compendious History of English Literature and the English Language, Vol. I, by George L. Craik - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon »

Section 3 is ready for PL.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

an interesting chapter ! It's so cool that the author also devotes a chapter on the Celtic language, since arguably indeed the influence on English is not that big. We mainly have remains of Celtic in town names nowadays I would think.

Wonderfully and flawlessly read again. :thumbs: I can mark it immediately PL ok. What I especially love in your reading is that you don't maim any foreign names, be it Latin, French or here even Gaelic origin. You always take great care and probably some background check to make them sound as accurate as possible. :9: Wonderful dedication on your part here.

Thanks for another interesting section.

Sonia
neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon »

Kitty wrote: October 20th, 2018, 12:58 pm What I especially love in your reading is that you don't maim any foreign names, be it Latin, French or here even Gaelic origin. You always take great care and probably some background check to make them sound as accurate as possible. :9: Wonderful dedication on your part here.
Thanks for noticing. The French and Latin aren't much of a problem because I studied them for years in high school and college, but the Celtic names did give me pause and I had to spend some time researching them. I always get distracted when I hear a mispronunciation in a recording, and I aim to spare my listeners, if any, from that experience to the best of my ability.

That commercial recording I mentioned earlier - the one with the 4-second silences - also has a place where the narrator refers to "Houston Street" in New York, pronouncing it like the city in Texas. He was clearly not a New Yorker because anyone who's spent any time in or near NYC would know that the first syllable of the street name is pronounced "HOW", not "HUE". Unfortunately the book is a first-person narrative by a character who's a New Yorker born and bred, and the mispronunciation sort of spoils the illusion. (You'd think that someone involved in the recording process would have known the correct pronunciation, but apparently not.)
neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon »

Section 4 is ready for PL.

Lots of names here. I can't vouch for every last one of them.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I will PL the section tomorrow, promised. Today was a bit crazy here, I didn't get around to this project yet.

But it's not forgotten. I do look forward to hearing the next section. I let you know if any names strike me as strange, if that's what you wish.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neddieseagoon wrote: October 20th, 2018, 6:23 pm Section 4 is ready for PL.
I think you did quite well with all the names, in fact I only found one which had a little mis-pronunciation. I think it was due to the fact that you mis-read the letter 'u' for an 'n' ;)

> at 12:45: (p. 47) Eutychius – you call him “Entychius”

the rest is totally perfect.

Interesting insight into book-hunting back in the early days.

Sonia
neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon »

Kitty wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 5:26 am
neddieseagoon wrote: October 20th, 2018, 6:23 pm Section 4 is ready for PL.
I think you did quite well with all the names, in fact I only found one which had a little mis-pronunciation. I think it was due to the fact that you mis-read the letter 'u' for an 'n' ;)

> at 12:45: (p. 47) Eutychius – you call him “Entychius”

the rest is totally perfect.

Interesting insight into book-hunting back in the early days.

Sonia
Ok, I'll re-record that. I'm sort of surprised there aren't more of those. I'm due for a new eyeglass prescription and the text reproduction in the archive.org .pdf file is not the best. I'd probably be better off reading from my physical copy of the book.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neddieseagoon wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 8:33 am I'd probably be better off reading from my physical copy of the book.
I would not recommend that, as we absolutely need to read from the PD source. One cannot be sure that the text has not been changed slightly in new editions.

I never read from the pdf file but always from the archive scan. You can enlarge it as big as you want and then you can see clearly what is written there.

Sonia
neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon »

Kitty wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 8:38 am
neddieseagoon wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 8:33 am I'd probably be better off reading from my physical copy of the book.
I would not recommend that, as we absolutely need to read from the PD source. One cannot be sure that the text has not been changed slightly in new editions.

I never read from the pdf file but always from the archive scan. You can enlarge it as big as you want and then you can see clearly what is written there.

Sonia
As I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread, the physical copy of the book that I have is the exact same edition as at archive.org: New York: Scribner, 1863.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neddieseagoon wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 10:22 am As I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread, the physical copy of the book that I have is the exact same edition as at archive.org: New York: Scribner, 1863.
oh sorry, I must have missed that. Sure, if it's the same copy then you can use it. I'll check with archive anyway, so we have both bases covered.

Soonia
neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon »

Kitty wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 5:26 am > at 12:45: (p. 47) Eutychius – you call him “Entychius”
Fixed. I re-recorded everything between 12:35 and 12:51; the rest is unchanged.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neddieseagoon wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 8:38 pm Fixed. I re-recorded everything between 12:35 and 12:51; the rest is unchanged.
excellently patched and PL ok now. I think you wouldn't hear a difference in sound with your audio-quality even if you had only corrected that one name. :thumbs:

thanks

Sonia
neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, interesting chapter again and excellently read. All PL ok. :thumbs: I like this book because the author manages to explain all the history in easy words and quite engagingly. It's therefore an easy book to listen to as audiobook.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Grant, everything going ok ? I hope you had nice holiday celebrations. :)

Haven't heard from you in a while, so I just wanted to shortly check whether you are still on this project. Just a short reply will suffice, to let me know what's up.
Regular updates in a solo project thread are quite important, as it's the only way the MC can know that you are still interested in continuing.

Have a good start in the new year !

Sonia