(Complete)The Column of Dust, by Evelyn Underhill - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

The Column of Dust by Evelyn Underhill (1875 - 1941).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-column-of-dust-by-evelyn-underhill/

Evelyn Underhill, the preeminent scholar of mysticism, wrote 3 novels in her youth, of which this is #3. Constance Tyrrel, a poor but literate woman works in a bookshop, suffers ennui, wonders if there is more to life than what she sees, invokes a ritual that she finds in a dusty old volume. Meanwhile, a disembodied spirit is consumed by a desire to know about the nature and content of the material world. It is drawn by Constance's call, where it appears as a column of dust. The two embark on adventures edifying to both and, incidentally to the reader. ( Josh Mitteldorf)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://books.google.com/books?id=l0NHAQAAMAAJ
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Evelyn Underhill) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Underhill
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): --
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1909
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Josh Mitteldorf Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: http://Daily-Inspiration.org
============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: victorian, feminism, mysticism, Occult, spirituality

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Column of Dust. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Column of Dust, by Evelyn Underhill. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Column of Dust by Evelyn Underhill. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Column of Dust, by Evelyn Underhill. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename columnofdust_##_underhill_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. columnofdust_01_underhill_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Evelyn Underhill
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Column of Dust

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I would be glad to serve as DPL for this project, unless you have someone already lined up.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I will set this up for you. I'll be back in a few minutes with the MW.

Just one thing: I notice you are using a google text. We don't like google texts as they are not always PD (and we don't have the resources to check them out). However, the same book is available here https://archive.org/details/columnofdust00undeiala/page/n5 , which is PD (even a single word changed would mean the google text isn't PD).
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set.
On your approval, I will add Larry as DPL.
Anything else, please ask.
Lynne
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

I've uploaded chapters 1 and 2 as
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/Underhill_Dust-1-2.mp3

I haven't figured out how to enter this into the magic window.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

mitteldorf wrote: October 6th, 2018, 7:33 pm I've uploaded chapters 1 and 2 as
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/Underhill_Dust-1-2.mp3

I haven't figured out how to enter this into the magic window.
I have added Larry as DPL.

It seems you have added this to the MW :thumbs:
How you have it in the Title column is fine, but we do need a specific format for the file name. Leave it as it is for now... Larry should be able to proof listen it, but you will need to re-upload later (with edits if needed) with a corrected file name:
Lower case only, please.

You will see in the first post, it gives the format: columnofdust_01_underhill_128kb.mp3 -- it needs to be consistent, but at this point, you can pick the name although it does need to be unique. So the book title comes first, then the section number . As you are combining chapters, this is not the chapter number, although if you wish to read the chapter number rather than the section number, that is your choice as BC/soloist. Then you add the author name.

You also need to add _128kb
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I haven't done a full PL of this first section, but just enough to know I'm going to enjoy listening to it all. Very fine reading.
Before I go to far, there are several key technical issues that I'd prefer you take care of, besides the format of the file name already mentioned above.

1. The volume is too low at only 82.8 db. The LV target is 89 dB with a range of 86-92 dB. It would be best to get this as close to the target, and be consistent from section to section to give a smooth flow to the book. If you are using Audacity, just use the amplification feature and set it to about +5 dB.

2. The bit rate is incorrect. It must be set to 128kbs constant and this file is 192kbs. So, after amplification, export it at the 128kbs.

3. The opening and closing silences need to be adjusted.
At the beginning, no more than one second, and at the end five seconds

4. The intro should be "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org." Your variant may be acceptable, but I'll let our MC make the call on that one.

After you make the above corrections and export the file, I'd suggest running through our Checker program. It is a small file written for LV that checks all of the technical specs and gives the exact volume in decibels. (Doesn't check the silences). It is very useful and you can find it in the Newbie Guide for Recording, or at this link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

Upload the file again and post here, and I'll give the full DPL.

Just a personal suggestion: I think this would be a lot better if it were one chapter per section. It would be less confusing, and the shorter sections are easier for the listener to handle. It would be clearer to the listener what the chapters are and they would be more likely to listen to a 15 min chapter than a 30 minute section. Again, just my view point which you are perfectly free to disregard. Entirely your call.

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you. :D
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Larry’s suggestions are all good.
As for the introduction, it is the standard “approved” librivox intro. Please use it as written in the first post. For second and subsequent chapters, you can use the abbreviated version.
If you have been recording poetry, you might have become accustomed to the shorter poetry intro. Unfortunately, that is not acceptable for longer works.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I thought I would check on this project since I hadn't seen any activity, and saw the three sections in the MW Ready for PL.

If you do not post something here in the forum, I will not know that you have something ready. Just post a note, something like "Section 1 is Ready for PL" Or, "Just put up Section 2" Just something so that I'll see the activity.

These longer sections are hard for me to fit into my schedule, and probably for the listener, but I'll get to them as soon as I can.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I thought I would check on this project since I hadn't seen any activity, and saw the three sections in the MW Ready for PL.

If you do not post something here in the forum, I will not know that you have something ready. Just post a note, something like "Section 1 is Ready for PL" Or, "Just put up Section 2" Just something so that I'll see the activity.

These longer sections are harder for me to fit into my schedule, and probably for the listener, but I'll get to them as soon as I can.

But, before I do that, you need to make some corrections.
The issues mention previously for Section one have NOT been corrected, and they are repeated for the other two.

-- The bit rate hasn't been changed and is still incorrect for all three section.
-- The volume, already mentioned, is too low and the same for all sections.
-- Also, the file names are incorrect:
1. Only lower case letters may be used.
2. The correct naming format is: columnofdust_01_underhill_128kb
Just change the section number for each one -- 02,03 etc. Of course the uploaded link will have the MC name added and the .mp3 extension.

Let me know if you still need some help in fixing these technical issues. Better to get them right at this point before recording more sections incorrectly. And, I still suggest one chapter per section. The point is to have people listen to what we record, and that will make it a lot easier and more likely that they will listen.
~ Larry
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

Thanks for the corrections and suggestions. I'll try to get around to the repairs in the next week or two...
Meanwhile, I've made all the same mistakes in Chapter 7, which is ready for proofing, subject to these provisos.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I was hoping to get the corrected files. Nonetheless, I have listened to section one.
If is excellently read, of course, and on that ground I would mark it PL OK.

In addition to the previous notes on technical issues, the beginning and ending silences need to be adjusted. At the beginning, no more than one second. At the end we need five seconds.

Again, this would be a much more accessible recording if you kept divided it just one chapter per section.

I'll listen to the others as I can.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I had opportunity to listen to chapters 3-4 today.
The reading would be PL OK, but the previous issues need be corrected.
ADDITIONALLY, the volume on this file is too low, measuring only 83.5 dB. Out target is 89 dB
(The following section is also too low at 83.9 dB, but I haven't listened to it).

These technical issues are easy enough to fix, so if you need help, just let me know.

Have you given any more consideration to having just one chapter per section?
I just think it would make your recording much more accessible to the listener.
~ Larry
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

I've uploaded chapter 8, and chapters 9 and 10 as one file. I have the message about the changes needed to earlier chapters, but I haven't fixed them yet.
mitteldorf

Post by mitteldorf »

Chapter 11 is uploaded