msfry wrote: September 19th, 2018, 8:32 pm
philchenevert wrote: September 19th, 2018, 6:26 pm
Means#1 leads to End#1,
but End#1, having been achieved,
becomes Means#2 leading to End#2 . . .
Means#X leads to End#X,
which becomes Means#X+1 leading to END#X+1
ad infinitem
Gee. I was just thinking this the other day in the shower. Very interesting. very interesting! :D
Ad infinitem, indeed! And elementary, my dear Watson!
"The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply." - Kahlil Gibran
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: September 20th, 2018, 2:26 am
msfry wrote: September 19th, 2018, 8:32 pm
philchenevert wrote: September 19th, 2018, 6:26 pm
Gee. I was just thinking this the other day in the shower. Very interesting. very interesting! :D
Ad infinitem, indeed! And elementary, my dear Watson!
"The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply." - Kahlil Gibran
"But all the world's an arch wherethrough gleams that untraveled world, whose margin fades forever and forever when I move." - from Ulysses, Alfred Lord Tennyson, 1833
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

williamjones wrote: September 19th, 2018, 3:21 pm Uploaded HNAC PART 3, Section VI The Nature of Aims

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/humannatureandconduct3_06_dewey_128kb.mp3 32:36

Dewey borrows substantially from Kant's view of Means and Ends.
The most prominent END in sight, is only a MEANS of getting to the NEXT END/step in Life's process.
If a long-term goal is depicted as a Finite State Machine (or Markov Chain) then, for Dewey, each Terminal State is Not terminal, but an intermediate state in an encompassing, larger state machine.

Means#1 leads to End#1,
but End#1, having been achieved,
becomes Means#2 leading to End#2 . . .
Means#X leads to End#X,
which becomes Means#X+1 leading to END#X+1
ad infinitem.

After this section, only 3 sections are remaining.
Will definitely finish before the end of next week.
Sorry to interrupt your quotes, but this is PL OK.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Human Nature and Conduct, Part 3, section 7

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/humannatureandconduct3_07_dewey_128kb.mp3 22:41

Sections 8 and 9 (last) will follow this afternoon.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

uploaded Human Nature and Conduct Part 3 Section 9

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/humannatureandconduct3_09_dewey_128kb.mp3 27:19

This completes the raw recording and self-PL-ing of the 9 sections of this part of Dewey's book.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

williamjones wrote: September 29th, 2018, 8:49 am Uploaded Human Nature and Conduct, Part 3, section 7

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/humannatureandconduct3_07_dewey_128kb.mp3 22:41

Sections 8 and 9 (last) will follow this afternoon.
williamjones wrote: September 29th, 2018, 9:53 am Uploaded HNAC Part 3 Section 08

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/humannatureandconduct3_08_dewey_128kb.mp3 37:16
Both are PL OK
williamjones wrote: September 29th, 2018, 10:54 am uploaded Human Nature and Conduct Part 3 Section 9

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/humannatureandconduct3_09_dewey_128kb.mp3 27:19

This completes the raw recording and self-PL-ing of the 9 sections of this part of Dewey's book.
At the end, you need to add "End of Human Nature and Conduct: Part 3, by John Dewey."
Jordan

williamjones

Post by williamjones »

uploaded HNAC Part 3 Section 09 with missing text added at end.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/humannatureandconduct3_09_dewey_128kb.mp3 27:24
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

williamjones wrote: September 30th, 2018, 6:32 pm uploaded HNAC Part 3 Section 09 with missing text added at end.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/humannatureandconduct3_09_dewey_128kb.mp3 27:24
PL OK!

And with that, we are done! An interesting book, unfortunately it all went way over my head... But maybe that's because I haven't read the first two parts.

Anyway, Phil, it's all yours now.
Jordan

msfry

Post by msfry »

Not quite, please! Let me ask Bill to review the summary for any last minute changes, and to review his key words before Phil catalogues this project. Thanks. As BC, I think it is my job to say when the project is done.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Phil, Bill wants to change his LV catalog name to William Allan Jones, but we are wondering if that will be possible on Part 1 of this series (his first solo), which has already catalogued. Please let me know if that is possible. He would of course like Part 1 of the book to show up on an IA search under the same name as Part 3, and I believe he plans to do Parts 2 and 4 as well.

Once that is cleared up, I believe we are ready for cataloguing. I've already pre-claimed the cover, Bill has finalized the summary and reviewed the key words.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Final notes on this project:

To be appended to the end of the Summary at the top of the project's forum.
(I don't know how to do this.)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
In this third part of the book, Dewey describe how we make ethical judgments (Dramatic Rehearsal), the occasions which call upon the exercise of intelligence, and the relationship among aims, goals, mean and ends and emotions.
-=-=-=-=-=-

Otherwise, all the components of this project seem to be done and ready for cataloging.

I am extremely grateful for the counsel and advice given to me by Michele, Phil and Jordan.
Thank you all very, very much.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

I appended your sentence to the end of the summary.

FYI, only the person submitting any post is able to alter it (unless maybe an admin can) and since the BC (Book Coordinator) always sets up the First Post, only they can alter it. The MW (Magic Window) can be accessed only by the BC, the DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener), and the MC (Meta Coordinator).

It has been a pleasure setting this up for you and seeing it come to fruition, Bill. I know you are putting a lot of work into parsing every sentence until you feel you understand what he is trying to say. A momentous effort! I can't say I understand Dewey, but I will certainly listen to your solo and try to grasp what I can. No doubt he was very influential and continues to be so to this day, and judging from the number of downloads of Part 1 on IA (Internet Archive) -- over 35,500 hits since it catalogued in July 2018 -- I'd say the series will be wildly in demand. Possibly college profs will make it required listening to their Social Psychology students. Wouldn't that be something!

So now, on to Part 2? I'll be happy to work with you again.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote: October 1st, 2018, 10:08 pm Phil, Bill wants to change his LV catalog name to William Allan Jones, but we are wondering if that will be possible on Part 1 of this series (his first solo), which has already catalogued. Please let me know if that is possible. He would of course like Part 1 of the book to show up on an IA search under the same name as Part 3, and I believe he plans to do Parts 2 and 4 as well.

Once that is cleared up, I believe we are ready for cataloguing. I've already pre-claimed the cover, Bill has finalized the summary and reviewed the key words.
I have changed his catalog name to William Allan Jones but I don't think this will be retroactive to Part 1. If you or anyone else has any input on this, let me know. Sorry.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Just checking; is everything polished and ready to go? I will wait until tomorrow (Wednesday) to start validation of this Educational project just in case.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk