[COMPLETE][SOLO] The Phenomenology of Mind, Volume 2 by Hegel, TR Baillie - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

The Phenomenology of Mind, Volume 2 by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel (1770 - 1831). Translated by James Black Baillie (1872 - 1940)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-phenomenology-of-mind-volume-2-by-georg-wilhelm-friedrich-hegel/
Phänomenologie des Geistes (1807) is Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel's most important and widely discussed philosophical work. Hegel's first book, it describes the three-stage dialectical life of Spirit. The title can be translated as either The Phenomenology of Spirit or The Phenomenology of Mind, because the German word Geist has both meanings. Phenomenology was the basis of Hegel's later philosophy and marked a significant development in German idealism after Kant. Focusing on topics in metaphysics, epistemology, physics, ethics, history, religion, perception, consciousness, and political philosophy, The Phenomenology is where Hegel develops his concepts of dialectic (including the Master-slave dialectic), absolute idealism, ethical life, and Aufhebung. The book had a profound effect in Western philosophy, and "has been praised and blamed for the development of existentialism, communism, fascism, death of God theology, and historicist nihilism."

Note, this is the second volume of two.
(Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.151648
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Phenomenology of Mind, Volume 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Phenomenology of Mind, Volume 2, by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel. Translated by James Black Baillie. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Phenomenology of Mind, Volume 2 by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel. Translated by James Black Baillie. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Phenomenology of Mind, Volume 2, by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel. Translated by James Black Baillie. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename phenomenologyofmindvol2_##_hegel_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. phenomenologyofmindvol2_01_hegel_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Foon on September 10th, 2018, 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hegel?
Well, I'd love to do something with this.
Unless you have someone lined up, I'd be glad to take DPL.
~ Larry
Foon

Post by Foon »

That would be great, Larry! I must warn you that it's volume 2, so it'll start in the middle of the book, in case that's a turnoff for you... ;)
I'd be happy to have you on board, though :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

That's fine!
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'm not much of a philosophy buff, but I can MC this :) be back soon with a MW. And I see you have already a DPL, so we're complete immediately. :D

Stay tuned

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok, MW is ready to be filled.

One question about the introduction blurb, is it you who wrote it ? Then we could insert "written by Foon" in there as well.

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks Sonia!

The intro blurb is the same as what I used for Vol 1, and it's mostly copied off Wikipedia.. So I don't want to take author credit for that :lol:

Readers needed:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: September 10th, 2018, 11:07 amThe intro blurb is the same as what I used for Vol 1, and it's mostly copied off Wikipedia.. So I don't want to take author credit for that :lol:
aha, ok I see :mrgreen: I hope you did not simply copy paste it all as it was, it would be better to at least paraphrase a bit. Or if you really did a copy/paste job, then we should at least credit wikipedia. Although we try to avoid copying a whole text as it was on wikipedia.

Well, there is still time to ponder that. Let's move to Going Solo now.

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

I credited wikipedia in Volume 1, and after your previous post I also went and edited my first post to reflect that!

Readers needed:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: September 10th, 2018, 11:39 am I credited wikipedia in Volume 1, and after your previous post I also went and edited my first post to reflect that!
:thumbs: thanks !

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Sonia,
I was just getting started on section 1, but I realised the book that this scan was made from was in pretty bad condition (pages are damaged in spots etc), so I found another Archive link that seems better (and seems to be the same edition, etc).
Is it OK if I use that one instead?
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.151648

Readers needed:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: September 10th, 2018, 12:46 pm Sonia,
I was just getting started on section 1, but I realised the book that this scan was made from was in pretty bad condition (pages are damaged in spots etc), so I found another Archive link that seems better (and seems to be the same edition, etc).
Is it OK if I use that one instead?
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.151648
yes I see the edition is from 1910, so it's PD, so you can use that one. Just change the link in the first post. :)

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Section 1 is ready to go! :D

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Sections 2 & 3 uploaded as well :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Sonia, I was wondering, would it be possible to add a note to the completed Volume 1 about it being only the first half of the book, similarly to what I added here in the summary? I wouldn't want people to think it ended there.

Readers needed: