[COMPLETE]Paul Clifford by Edward Bulwer-Lytton - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Paul Clifford by Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1803 - 1873).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/paul-clifford-by-edward-bulwer-lytton/

Most men who with some earnestness of mind examine into the mysteries of our social state will perhaps pass through that stage of self-education in which this Novel was composed. The contrast between conventional frauds, received as component parts of the great system of civilization, and the less deceptive invasions of the laws which discriminate the meum from the tuum, is tempting to a satire that is not without its justice. The tragic truths which lie hid in what I may call the Philosophy of Circumstance strike through our philanthropy upon our imagination. We see masses of our fellow-creatures the victims of circumstances over which they had no control,—contaminated in infancy by the example of parents, their intelligence either extinguished or turned against them, according as the conscience is stifled in ignorance or perverted to apologies for vice. A child who is cradled in ignominy, whose schoolmaster is the felon, whose academy is the House of Correction,—who breathes an atmosphere in which virtue is poisoned, to which religion does not pierce,—becomes less a responsible and reasoning human being than a wild beast which we suffer to range in the wilderness, till it prowls near our homes, and we kill it in self-defence.

In this respect the Novel of “Paul Clifford” is a loud cry to society to amend the circumstance,—to redeem the victim. It is an appeal from Humanity to Law. And in this, if it could not pretend to influence or guide the temper of the times, it was at least a foresign of a coming change. Between the literature of imagination, and the practical interests of a people, there is a harmony as complete as it is mysterious. The heart of an author is the mirror of his age. The shadow of the sun is cast on the still surface of literature long before the light penetrates to law; but it is ever from the sun that the shadow falls, and the moment we see the shadow we may be certain of the light. ( Adapted from the Preface) ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7735
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: onyfKbZN

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Edward Bulwer-Lytton) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bulwer-Lytton

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Clifford
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 43
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1830
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: dark and stormy night, victorian times

============================================ [/size]

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Paul Clifford . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Paul Clifford , by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Paul Clifford by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Paul Clifford , by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename paulclifford_##_bulwer-lytton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. paulclifford_01_bulwer-lytton_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Paul Clifford

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Readers Wanted!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

What about the possibility of my doing this one as a solo? I understand that you may rather have it be divided. No problem. Just a thought. Jim
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I think you doing this as a solo is a great idea! If you want this project, it is yours and I will definitely DPL it! Let me know and I will move us over to Going Solo and reset the project as a solo. Yeah! :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Yes, I would like to do it and to work with you. Thanks, Jim
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Great! I will move us over to Going Solo, assign all the sections to you, and reset the OP to a solo project. This one is going to be lots of fun!

ETA: If any of the chapter splits are not to your liking, feel free to either recombine them or split them in a different spot. I tried as much as I could to split them at a convenient spot, as in not in the middle of dialog or some action, but they may not have come out quite right. Since it is your solo, do as you will! Oh, and I need to give you access to the MW. Much to do!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks for all your help. I plan to use your setup. I am looking forward to it too. Your, Jim
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Chapter 1. :)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 1 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Ann. :D