COMPLETE Ballad of the White Horse by G.K. Chesterton - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

Ballad of the White Horse by G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ballad-of-the-white-horse-by-g-k-chesterton/
This epic poem is about Alfred the Great's defense of Christian England against the pagan Viking invaders. The decisive battle is fought in sight of a white horse mark made on a hill, after which the poem is named. As the white horse mark must be continually maintained by weeding to be clearly seen, Chesterton sees it as a symbol of the continual struggle to maintain the Christian culture and values for which Alfred the Great fought. ( Robin Lamb)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1719
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Epics; Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Religious Fiction/Christian Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Alfred the Great, vikings, white horse, ethandune

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Ballad of the White Horse. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Ballad of the White Horse, by G. K. Chesterton. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Ballad of the White Horse by G. K. Chesterton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Ballad of the White Horse, by G. K. Chesterton. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename balladwhitehorse_##_chesterton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. balladwhitehorse_01_chesterton_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: G. K. Chesterton
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Ballad of the White Horse

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: KiltedDragon
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by robinlamb on August 12th, 2018, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

If you don't have a proof listener lined up, and be pleased to take the DPL role for you.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

silverquill wrote: August 11th, 2018, 7:50 pm If you don't have a proof listener lined up, and be pleased to take the DPL role for you.
I don't have a proof listener yet, so I would be glad to have a DPL. Thank you!
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

MW is all set up.

Robin, since you have not been a DPL or BC before, here is a link to some instructions for dealing with the project and MW. Item 1 is for establishing your password for this part of the system; I suggest using the same password you use to log into LV. Item 2 is only for if you want to change your password later; you can skip over it. The rest of the instructions will walk you through editing the MW. You can't break it so don't be afraid to have at it. Larry or I can help you if you have any questions.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

KiltedDragon wrote: August 12th, 2018, 11:09 am MW is all set up.

Robin, since you have not been a DPL or BC before, here is a link to some instructions for dealing with the project and MW. Item 1 is for establishing your password for this part of the system; I suggest using the same password you use to log into LV. Item 2 is only for if you want to change your password later; you can skip over it. The rest of the instructions will walk you through editing the MW. You can't break it so don't be afraid to have at it. Larry or I can help you if you have any questions.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
Thank you! I will do that.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

If you need any help with the Magic Window, or anything else, I'm glad to help. I've been doing this for awhile.

As a DPL, I find it helpful if you will post something in the project thread when you put something ready for PL. That will update my bookmarks so I'll see it. It's also helpful if you post the file length in the notes section of the MW so I know how much time I'll need for listening. I'll be checking tech specs too. I'll try to be as prompt as I can, but I am on vacation for another week and will be traveling some. Currently on Maui, then back to southern California for few days before heading back home in New England.

I'm look forward to this project.

(My younger brother was preparing to do his PhD thesis on Chesterton before he got sidetracked).
~ Larry
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

Yes, I will post in the thread like I do for group projects as I post files.
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

I have posted the link for the prefatory note and dedication in the magic window, along with the file length. It is ok if you are on vacation and can't get around to listening yet. I will just post stuff as I finish it. Thanks again for being the DPL.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

A few quiet moments this evning, so no problem listening to a short section.
I have just a couple of comments for your consideration.

First, I have always found, "Section Zero" awkward sounding. In a piece like this, I personally would use, "Prefatory Note and Dedication" in the intro instead of "Section Zero," then just read "Prefatory Note" and then, "Dedication," at the appropriate place.
But, this is entirely up to you.

Second, although pronunciation itself is really not a part of standard proof listening, there were two things that did jump out at me. The first was in the Prefatory Note, the name Pepys should be pronounced, "Peeps." Samuel Pepys is such a well-known author that this is one name you might want to correct at about 2:16.

The other one is at about 5:16 and is the word "lower," in the verse:

Yet Alfred is no fairy tale;
His days as our days ran,
He also looked forth for an hour
On peopled plains and skies that lower,
From those few windows in the tower
That is the head of a man.

The rhyming scheme in this Dedication is to have these three lines rhyme. Somehow it always seems to be skies our clouds that lower in poems, meaning "dark, gloomy, threatening."

As I said this is outside of standard PL, but thought I'd point these out to you in case you want to change them. Entirely your call.

If you do, you might also clip one second off the end to make the closing silence closer to five seconds.

Pleas forgive me if I've overstepped my bounds.
~ Larry
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

I will make these edits on 0 and resubmit, and post when I resubmit. Also, I noticed, (early in the process still at least :) ), that in the text, the title is actually "The Ballad of the White Horse". So I will need to add a "The" to the title in the tags and wherever I say the title, so I will make that edit, too.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

You should add it to the title when you say it in the recordings but there is no need to add it to the tags/file names; only makes them longer than needed.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

KiltedDragon wrote: August 13th, 2018, 7:29 pm You should add it to the title when you say it in the recordings but there is no need to add it to the tags/file names; only makes them longer than needed.
Thanks! That is what I will do.
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

I uploaded the file with "the sky is falling!" and the other errors corrected.
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

I have uploaded section 1.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I've marked these both PL OK.

You might want to use the short disclaimer for the subsequent sections, but that is up to you.
~ Larry