[COMPLETE]Common Sense, How to Exercise It by Yoritomo-Tashi-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MDoorkeeper

Post by MDoorkeeper »

Common Sense, How to Exercise It by Yoritomo Tashi (1147 - 1199). Translated by Lily Berthelot De La Boileverie ( - 0)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/common-sense-how-to-exercise-it-by-yoritomo-tashi/
One of three seminal philosophical works by the twelfth century Japanese Shogun, Yoritomo-Tashi.
(From the Preface) He knows how to clothe his teachings in fable and appealing legend, and his exotic soul, so near and yet so far, reminds one of a flower, whose familiar aspect is transmuted into rare perfume.
By him the sternest questions are stripped of their hostile aspects and present themselves in the alluring form of the simplest allegories of striking poetic intensity.
When reading his works, one recalls unconsciously the orations of the ancient philosophers, delivered in those dazzling gardens, luxuriant in sunlight and fragrant with flowers.
In this far-away past, one sees also the silhouette of a majestic figure, whose school of philosophy became a religion, which interested the world because it spoke both of love and goodness.
But in spite of this fact, the doctrines of Yoritomo are of an imaginative type. His kingdom belongs to this world, and his theories seek less the joys of the hereafter than of that tangible happiness which is found in the realization of the manly virtues and in that effort to create perfect harmony from which flows perfect peace.
He takes us by the hand, in order to lead us to the center of that Eden of Knowledge where we have already discovered the art of persuasion, and that art, most difficult of all to acquire—the mastery of timidity.
Following him, we shall penetrate once more this Eden, that we may study with Yoritomo the manner of acquiring this art—somewhat unattractive perhaps but essentially primordial—called Common Sense. ( B. DANGENNES.)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13072
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: kj7Yjnqx

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Yoritomo Tashi) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamoto_no_Yoritomo

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 14
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1916
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Philosophy

Keywords that describe the book: philosophy, self help, Japanese, medeval

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Common Sense, How to Exercise It. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Common Sense, How to Exercise It, by Yoritomo Tashi. Translated by Lily Berthelot De La Boileverie [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Common Sense, How to Exercise It by Yoritomo Tashi. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Common Sense, How to Exercise It, by Yoritomo Tashi. Translated by Lily Berthelot De La Boileverie ( - 0)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename commonsensehowtoexerciseit_##_tashi_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. commonsensehowtoexerciseit_01_tashi_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it"
--Mark Twain
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can set this up - back with an MW soon

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All done . I'd be happy with the file names just being commonsense but it is up to you
Lets hang around and see if we attract a DPL

Anne
MDoorkeeper

Post by MDoorkeeper »

Thank you Anne.
I think I will go with the shortened filename.

As for DPL, I would not be at all surprised if Helen finds this soon...or should I invite her?

Tom
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it"
--Mark Twain
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm for giving people the option - you never know. She may be full up and you get someone else and you may learn something new, meet a new person or help someone get started - all grreat outcomes

Anne
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

May I claim DPL? :D
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
MDoorkeeper

Post by MDoorkeeper »

:lol: I thought you might. It's OK with me.

Anne?
--Mark Twain
MDoorkeeper

Post by MDoorkeeper »

Anne,

:idea: In order to avoid confusion between the "Lesson" numbers and the Section numbers, I have decided to put the "Announcement" and "Preface" together into Section 0. They are both rather short - total duration of the finished audio should be less than 8 minutes. This means that Section 13 is no longer needed. Since I can't delete it, would you do so please?

Tom
--Mark Twain
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sounds a good idea , I will later and add your DPL

Anne

All done :D
MDoorkeeper

Post by MDoorkeeper »

Right! Off we go!
Here's section 0, "Announcement & Preface", uploaded and ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/commonsense_00_tashi_128kb.mp3
Time duration: 7:53.
--Mark Twain
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Tom,

Sect "0"

PL note:

1- I hear Sect 1 at the beginning s/b changed to Sect 0
2- the "End of sect" is missing
Helen

MDoorkeeper

Post by MDoorkeeper »

HZFerr wrote: July 27th, 2018, 12:23 pm Hi Tom,

Sect "0"

PL note:

1- I hear Sect 1 at the beginning s/b changed to Sect 0
2- the "End of sect" is missing
Oops! How'dat happen? Blame it on Mercury Retrograde :shock:

OK, now how do I fix this? I mean, I can fix it, but how do I upload the fixed file? If I use the same filename, the uploader will change it. Sorry, but this is the first time I've uploaded a messed up file. I don't know the procedure.
--Mark Twain
MDoorkeeper

Post by MDoorkeeper »

OK, I think I did this right. Section 0 re-uploaded and ready for spot PL. I believe that the URL is the same and the old (messed up) file got renamed, but, just in case, here it is again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/commonsense_00_tashi_128kb.mp3
Time duration is now: 7:59.

Still :oops: Oh well...
--Mark Twain
MDoorkeeper

Post by MDoorkeeper »

Chapter 1, "Lesson I Common Sense: What Is It?", is uploaded and ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/commonsense_01_tashi_128kb.mp3
Time duration: 22:52.
--Mark Twain
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect "0" spot pl ok

sect 1

PL OK
Note: but, it needs to be entered into the MW. :wink:
Helen