[COMPLETE] [solo] A Voyage in the 'Sunbeam': Our Home on the Ocean for Eleven Months by Anna Allnut Brassey - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

Chapters 20 and 21 are up, Cheryl!
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Sections 20,21,22 PL OK
:D
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

Thank you!

:clap:
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

23 & 24 are up!
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 23 and 24 PL OK
:thumbs:
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

Hey, Cheryl, I've finally put up Chapter 25 - lost my groove a little, but I'm back!
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

And your welcome back
Chapter 25 PL OK
Cheryl
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Dovie, I hope you are able to get back to this sometime. It is such a wonderful recording and interesting book.
Only 4 chapters left :? :9:
Cheryl
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

Hey Cheryl -

Sorry for disappearing! I got weirdly busy with houseguests and things and then my computer wouldn't turn on for a while. I should have been a better communicator. I'm going to try to record a chapter right now!
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Dovie, Life happens, but, I hope you are able to finish this some time. It is a nice book, and so well read, and almost finished. Cheryl
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

Hi Cheryl -

Sorry. I really did go start recording a new chapter, but I ran into an N-word and thought to myself, "I'll ask on the forums what to do about that," and then never did and felt unable to move forward. Do you know if there's a policy somewhere on the site? That's just a word I don't say and I'm a little at an impasse. I should just skip ahead though and do some of the other chapters that remain.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

doviecross wrote: November 13th, 2018, 10:09 pm Hi Cheryl -

Sorry. I really did go start recording a new chapter, but I ran into an N-word and thought to myself, "I'll ask on the forums what to do about that," and then never did and felt unable to move forward. Do you know if there's a policy somewhere on the site? That's just a word I don't say and I'm a little at an impasse. I should just skip ahead though and do some of the other chapters that remain.
Unfortunately, there is no way around this. This is the policy:
LibriVox and "Sensitive" Topics
Every work included in the LibriVox collection is potentially a sensitive and sacred text...depending on the reader or listener. We approach every work with respect, but we will not exclude a work because of it being potentially offensive or disrespectful. The nature of our collection is historical due to it being primarily published in 1922 and earlier, and we will be running into works that will raise questions, concerns, or conflicts (i.e. religion, slavery, woman's status in society, treatment of indigenous peoples, etc.)
We acknowledge that some of the information and perspectives presented may be offensive, or even just plain incorrect, but we're preserving history as presented by people of a specific time period without making judgements or statements about these perspectives.
May I change the text?
Occasionally people ask if they can change the published text, for instance by omitting or substituting offensive words or ideas.
The answer is No. We present the text as it is written: no additions, omissions, or substitutions. If the text contains a word you just cannot say, consider choosing something else to record. (There is so much available to record! No need to cause yourself discomfort.) If you wish to make an "editorial comment" about the content of the text, you may do so in the written catalog summary, but you may not add it to the recording.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

What is the status on this project? It seems a pity to abandon it with just 4 chapters remaining. Please let me know by March 8.
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

Hi Lynnet -

Sorry, I got hung up on the N-word problem and then got really busy with other things. I will definitely not be recording the next chapter - I've thought about it and even in the context of the historical work, it's just not something I'm willing to say. I hope that other volunteers will be able to finish the book soon - I really did enjoy many parts of it.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

doviecross wrote: March 6th, 2019, 11:09 am Hi Lynnet -

Sorry, I got hung up on the N-word problem and then got really busy with other things. I will definitely not be recording the next chapter - I've thought about it and even in the context of the historical work, it's just not something I'm willing to say. I hope that other volunteers will be able to finish the book soon - I really did enjoy many parts of it.
OK, a lot of people have the same -- or similar -- problems with old texts.
We are having a clean-up month, when we try to complete as many outstanding projects as possible. I will open up the remaining sections to see if we have any takers. If you want to submit other files, let me know before I assign them elsewhere 8-)
I hope this hasn't put you off LV. To be honest, this happens rarely, although I can't say it's 'unheard of'.

Is there anyway you could add a little more info to the summary? Maybe mention where she traveled...